General discussion for all questions based in the home audio/video world.
jlaine

Postby jlaine » Sat Apr 13, 2002 2:31 pm

Is it worth planning ahead for? I am going to build my system soon, and I want to be with a format for at least a good 5 years if not more, where do you think the industry is heading on the whole format issue?
Yo.
Sound_Miata
Location: From the secret hideout of the VAST right wing conspiracy

Postby Sound_Miata » Sat Apr 13, 2002 2:52 pm

I was debating on the same question recently, but came to the decision that for my listening habits, etc that it is going to take 2 years or possibly more for 6.1 to be fully out there (limited number of DVD's yet that support it) so for my 3/5 year time table, 6.1 would be fine for me....it also wasn't within my budget. I can't say I know where the end result will be, but 6.1 still needs some time yet.

-Greer
*Winner of the Beastly 1000th AND 2000th Post*
slappin momma llama on the backside-Joshie-Poo :-D

Vendors: We will allow you to break the laws of physics and the second law of thermodynamics so long as you provide us with a working model.
clay

Postby clay » Sat Apr 13, 2002 4:01 pm

I know what 5.1 is, but what is 6.1 and 7.1?
see ya
clay
Arm yourselves, and be ye men of valour, and be in readiness for the conflict: for it is better for us to perish in battle than to look upon the outrage of our nation and our altar. -Winston Churchill

"If it sounds good and measures bad, then you measured the wrong thing." - Paul Klipsch
davidjs

Postby davidjs » Sat Apr 13, 2002 4:02 pm

I think this is the same problem that's hampering rewritable DVD's... no one knows, so no one's buying...

My reciever will end up being a 6.1, but i kow i'll only be using 5 channels for now, and in the forseeabe future.. :D
Drinking from the firehose... care to join me for a sip??
"Always and never are two words you should always remember to never use..."
**Almost done, almost done**
aka Saleen999
Sound_Miata
Location: From the secret hideout of the VAST right wing conspiracy

Postby Sound_Miata » Sat Apr 13, 2002 4:09 pm

6.1 is the addition of a rear center channel.

I think another problem with getting these newer formats to the market is the price point. This years models are the first models that 6.1 is offered in the 500 dollar price break, which for some people is too high. I think it will be at least another year before 6.1 is common, and another 2 to 3 till 7.1 is in the sub 500 price range.

-Greer
*Winner of the Beastly 1000th AND 2000th Post*

slappin momma llama on the backside-Joshie-Poo :-D

Vendors: We will allow you to break the laws of physics and the second law of thermodynamics so long as you provide us with a working model.
Steven Kephart

Postby Steven Kephart » Sat Apr 13, 2002 4:44 pm

Originally posted by Sound_Miata
6.1 is the addition of a rear center channel.

I think another problem with getting these newer formats to the market is the price point. This years models are the first models that 6.1 is offered in the 500 dollar price break, which for some people is too high. I think it will be at least another year before 6.1 is common, and another 2 to 3 till 7.1 is in the sub 500 price range.

-Greer

But, as Clay asked earlier, what is 7.1? Where do they put that extra channel? Is it part of that new THX-EX that was introduced with Episode One? I read a review of that where the guy actually got to go to Skywalker Ranch and hear that in their theater. They turned on a track with what sounded like a misquito. He said it buzzed around his head and sounded like it was really there.
"The water is fast, but it ain't deep
I waded out before
I could do it in my sleep
Another line, another fix
Another "I don't care"
The place you thought you'd never be
Guess what, you're there

Sow a thought, reap an action
Sow an action, reap a habit
Sow a habit, reap a destiny"
Atomic Fusion

Postby Atomic Fusion » Sat Apr 13, 2002 10:23 pm

I think 7.1 either adds a second rear center speaker or a second pair of sourround speakers.

Adam
Found something better.
SIN's Freelance Female "Rear Entry" Super Hero
TimDimman

Postby TimDimman » Sun Apr 14, 2002 2:11 am

7.1 is the latest in the EX technology.

It takes the rear "center" channel, and splits it into 2 seperate rear "surrounds".

In essance, it is exactly what Adam said, but instead of centering the EX, you are now expanding it.

As far as I'm concerned, unless you're living in a concert hall, I can't see it making that much of a difference.

For DVD-A and SACD's, its not going to do a whole lot of good (if this is what you are considering future technology).

Anyone care to take the recording industries side as to why DVD-A and SACD's are going to be anolog output only? Talk about of all the STUPID things.

Watching MTV cribs yesterday, I finally realized just how much these artists are suffering from the loss of revenue...I mean, No Limit only has 50 cars, when there are thousands to be had. Those poor starving artists...

Tim
It is better to be boldly decisive and be wrong than to agonize at length and be right.
Steven Kephart

Postby Steven Kephart » Sun Apr 14, 2002 5:22 am

Originally posted by TimDimman

Anyone care to take the recording industries side as to why DVD-A and SACD's are going to be anolog output only? Talk about of all the STUPID things.

How do you make DVD analog? I mean it is a "digital" video disk. What are they going to have, a sine wave representation of a 0 and 1?

This is probably done by the same people who allowed a great deal of hiss into the recording of my "Star Wars special edition soundtrack" CD. (talk about a waste of $28)
"The water is fast, but it ain't deep
I waded out before
I could do it in my sleep
Another line, another fix
Another "I don't care"
The place you thought you'd never be
Guess what, you're there

Sow a thought, reap an action
Sow an action, reap a habit
Sow a habit, reap a destiny"
davidjs

Postby davidjs » Sun Apr 14, 2002 1:45 pm

The thing about SACD and DVD audio is that the studios, in their infinite wisdom, decreed that all "super" audio format players could only have analog outs (must be decoded in the player) so that you "can't" copy them...

How do you make it analog? They put all those 1's and 0's back into the waves they actually started out as ;)
Drinking from the firehose... care to join me for a sip??

"Always and never are two words you should always remember to never use..."

**Almost done, almost done**

aka Saleen999

Return to “Home Audio/Video”