General discussion for all questions based in the home audio/video world.
jlaine

Postby jlaine » Sun Apr 14, 2002 2:00 pm

Okay-- so 7.1 doesn't seem like a plausible option, or worth planning for...
6.1 is a way off, but more reasonable...

Has anyone compared 6.1 to 5.1 and seen a plausible reason to change to it or plan ahead for it?

I may as well as the rack amps I'm buying are two channel, so the center can be one channel and I'll just use the second as the center rear... but I'm curious if it is worth it in terms of overall effects.
Yo.
Atomic Fusion

Postby Atomic Fusion » Sun Apr 14, 2002 5:56 pm

Originally posted by jlaine
Okay-- so 7.1 doesn't seem like a plausible option, or worth planning for...
6.1 is a way off, but more reasonable...

Has anyone compared 6.1 to 5.1 and seen a plausible reason to change to it or plan ahead for it?

I may as well as the rack amps I'm buying are two channel, so the center can be one channel and I'll just use the second as the center rear... but I'm curious if it is worth it in terms of overall effects.

Well, I haven't compared 5.1 to 6.1, but at least in theory, 5.1 is utterly unable to reproduce sounds that orginiate behind the listener. It would mean a more accurate sourround sound setup.

I've been thinking about doing that too, for a long time. One amp for the fronts, one amp for the rears, and an amp driving the front and rear center on each channel.

What amplifiers are you using? Parts Express is selling CE1000's for pretty cheap... 500-600 I think.

Adam
Found something better.
SIN's Freelance Female "Rear Entry" Super Hero
davidjs

Postby davidjs » Sun Apr 14, 2002 7:13 pm

Originally posted by Atomic Fusion

Well, I haven't compared 5.1 to 6.1, but at least in theory, 5.1 is utterly unable to reproduce sounds that orginiate behind the listener. It would mean a more accurate sourround sound setup.

WHy is that?? Theoretically, I mean, we can get a good center image from 2 speakers (L&R), so why can't you get a center back image from the two surround speakers, if they're true separate channels...

Are they trying to use technology to make mixing/matrixing etc easier??

My other question is how many movies (for the forseeable future) would use this anyway?? Other than action movies, almost no movies even use DD5.1 to it's potential right now, is it worth it to get another speaker/ amp room for something that will be pointless in most movies anyway?:confused:
Drinking from the firehose... care to join me for a sip??
"Always and never are two words you should always remember to never use..."
**Almost done, almost done**
aka Saleen999
jlaine

Postby jlaine » Sun Apr 14, 2002 8:01 pm

What amplifiers are you using? Parts Express is selling CE1000's for pretty cheap... 500-600 I think.

Adam

I'm going to do a tier system with QSC RMX 850's
About 300x2 @ 4, or 850 bridged mono

I only paid 284 shipped new from an authorized dealer, so I can see myself doing a system with them... my only complaint is the DAMN FAN.... but I'm building them into a cabinet, so it's all good.
Yo.
Atomic Fusion

Postby Atomic Fusion » Sun Apr 14, 2002 8:04 pm

I'm going to do a tier system with QSC RMX 850's
About 300x2 @ 4, or 850 bridged mono

I only paid 284 shipped new from an authorized dealer, so I can see myself doing a system with them... my only complaint is the DAMN FAN.... but I'm building them into a cabinet, so it's all good.

That's a pretty good price, where from and can I get a piece?

Adam
Found something better.

Atomic Fusion

Postby Atomic Fusion » Sun Apr 14, 2002 8:08 pm

Originally posted by Saleen999

WHy is that?? Theoretically, I mean, we can get a good center image from 2 speakers (L&R), so why can't you get a center back image from the two surround speakers, if they're true separate channels...

Are they trying to use technology to make mixing/matrixing etc easier??

My other question is how many movies (for the forseeable future) would use this anyway?? Other than action movies, almost no movies even use DD5.1 to it's potential right now, is it worth it to get another speaker/ amp room for something that will be pointless in most movies anyway?:confused:

Well think about it from a physics standpoint... Two speakers to either side of your head cannot reproduce a sound clearly coming from behind the head.

As a true sourround sound system, 5.1 is flawed because it can't do that well, and 6.1 makes up for it. In practicality, this point doesn't mean much since you are right, most movies don't utilize sourround sound to its max potential at all. I have only seen a few, scarce situations where a movie used the sorround speakers to deliver a clear, intelligable sound from a direction other then forward or front left to front right. Usually they are used just for ambient sound.

So in practicality, anything above 5.1 isn't really necessary until the studios start better utilizing sourround sound. If you do an actual Dolby test (helicoptor, fly, something like that) you really can tell the difference. Most movies just waste the potential.

Adam
Found something better.

jlaine

Postby jlaine » Sun Apr 14, 2002 8:09 pm

That's a pretty good price, where from and can I get a piece?

Adam

You bet, they go for 299 shipped @ zzounds.com
I did a price matching with them because filamentaudio.com offered them for 291.53 if I paid with MO up front... zzounds price beat them to 284.99 and allowed me to use a CC...

Shipped the same day, got it the same week.. no shipping fees, I plan on buying 4 more in the process of this year... :)
Yo.
Atomic Fusion

Postby Atomic Fusion » Sun Apr 14, 2002 8:35 pm

You bet, they go for 299 shipped @ zzounds.com
I did a price matching with them because filamentaudio.com offered them for 291.53 if I paid with MO up front... zzounds price beat them to 284.99 and allowed me to use a CC...

Shipped the same day, got it the same week.. no shipping fees, I plan on buying 4 more in the process of this year... :)

Killer. I might do that too.

By the way, you might want to keep in mind that your rear speakers (not the rear center, just the sourrounds) won't need that much power. They would be fine with 1/4 of the power of the fronts, so keep that in mind when you make the purchase. You could save yourself some money.

Adam
Found something better.

jlaine

Postby jlaine » Sun Apr 14, 2002 8:46 pm

Killer. I might do that too.

By the way, you might want to keep in mind that your rear speakers (not the rear center, just the sourrounds) won't need that much power. They would be fine with 1/4 of the power of the fronts, so keep that in mind when you make the purchase. You could save yourself some money.

Adam

The RMX 850 is the smallest of the RMX line... :) It is all uphill from there... For the price.. hell, I'll just call it dynamic headroom.
Yo.
davidjs

Postby davidjs » Sun Apr 14, 2002 9:43 pm

Well think about it from a physics standpoint... Two speakers to either side of your head cannot reproduce a sound clearly coming from behind the head.

As a true sourround sound system, 5.1 is flawed because it can't do that well, and 6.1 makes up for it. In practicality, this point doesn't mean much since you are right, most movies don't utilize sourround sound to its max potential at all. I have only seen a few, scarce situations where a movie used the sorround speakers to deliver a clear, intelligable sound from a direction other then forward or front left to front right. Usually they are used just for ambient sound.

So in practicality, anything above 5.1 isn't really necessary until the studios start better utilizing sourround sound. If you do an actual Dolby test (helicoptor, fly, something like that) you really can tell the difference. Most movies just waste the potential.

Adam

Yeah, but why can't we move those back two speakers a few feet back of my head (space needed for the 6th anyway, or where the 6&7 would be in 7.1) and not add an extra speaker/amp channel??

I guess i just don't see why companies keep trying to add speakers, instead of moving the "recommended placement" and mixing??

(Theoretically, shouldn't a 4.1 system that was equidistant from us be able to do the same thing as a 6.1 system, if the speakers were up to the task? or is that not how hearing works?)
Drinking from the firehose... care to join me for a sip??

"Always and never are two words you should always remember to never use..."

**Almost done, almost done**

aka Saleen999

Return to “Home Audio/Video”