General discussion for all questions based in the home audio/video world.
ritual

Postby ritual » Mon Apr 15, 2002 7:53 am

well, my thoughts on this is simplicity. yeah, kinda odd from a standpoint that you have to keep adding speakers etc. but think how hard it is to get that perfect center soundstage reproduction in your car? in the majority of installs, its just not gonna happen. same thing applies to HT. the studios and manufacturers want surround sound to go really mainstream. and in most cases, people aren't gonna be able to truly devote a room to have perfect placement of speakers. using a 4.1 setup, im sure that with a perfect install, you can get a whole 360 degrees of sound. but without a perfect install, by going to more speakers, you can better approximate it in a less than optimal setup.

plus the main factor is 6.1 and then 7.1 sells more equipment. more money is always better.
Alpine CDA-9815, Arc Audio 4150, Morel WR-6 midbass, Morel MDT-105s tweeters, JBL 1200.1, Adire Audio Brahma 12"
loud enough for you to hear
TimDimman

Postby TimDimman » Mon Apr 15, 2002 10:53 am

Originally posted by Saleen999

Yeah, but why can't we move those back two speakers a few feet back of my head (space needed for the 6th anyway, or where the 6&7 would be in 7.1) and not add an extra speaker/amp channel??

I guess i just don't see why companies keep trying to add speakers, instead of moving the "recommended placement" and mixing??

(Theoretically, shouldn't a 4.1 system that was equidistant from us be able to do the same thing as a 6.1 system, if the speakers were up to the task? or is that not how hearing works?)

Even though rears are discrete channels, they are still pretty much nothing more than ambience. They can work in the same method Qsound or AuraSound works...similar to a Matrixed Stereo setup...even though they are directly to your sides, the mind can be tricked.

This is the reason di/bi-poles are usually recommended.

A 7.1 setup (discrete) if plausible, wouldn't be so bad...if it doesn't exist, then you are throwing away information.

I've heard the new Star Wars on an EX system, and to tell you the truth, I don't think the info in the rear channel was worth the tackiness of a speaker sitting behind us...(where do you put that thing???)...

With a 7 channel setup, the rears are suppose to be inset from the walls, so that means stands, or mount them on a wall behind you...

I think its a really novel idea, but it turns your living room (unless you have a dedicated HT room... :( ) into something tacky...

About the SACD's...all the decoding is done on board. And for now, I don't see how they are going to defeat computers...so, all this stupidity on the console units seems to be moot...???

What a genuinely bad idea...Kind of like Beta and DivX...good ideas, just fatally flawed...

Tim
It is better to be boldly decisive and be wrong than to agonize at length and be right.
Electrodynamic

Postby Electrodynamic » Mon Apr 15, 2002 12:23 pm

I think that 7.1 will become an optional decoding method on upcoming DVD releases and continue to become more and more popular from now on. The 7.1 receivers are obvisouly going to be more expensive now, as 5.1 receivers were over Pro Logic (and still are...if you can find a new Pro Logic receiver). I'm going to wait and sell some of my equipment and buy a 7.1 receiver during this upcoming summer. I made the mistake of going Pro Logic when 5.1 first came out thinking I would be alright, but then less than a year later it seemed like everything was 5.1, and the 5.1 receivers were the same amount of money that I paid for my Pro Logic receiver.

I've got my eyes on a 7.1 "receiver" that retails for $1,400 (can't remember the name of the company - it's in my dads home theater magazine which is at home). Anyway, this unit is actually a pre-amp and a separate, 7 channel amplifier. Those are my plans anyway. After that it's time to make more speakers. :D
TimDimman

Postby TimDimman » Tue Apr 16, 2002 12:13 pm

Originally posted by Electrodynamic
I think that 7.1 will become an optional decoding method on upcoming DVD releases and continue to become more and more popular from now on. The 7.1 receivers are obvisouly going to be more expensive now, as 5.1 receivers were over Pro Logic (and still are...if you can find a new Pro Logic receiver). I'm going to wait and sell some of my equipment and buy a 7.1 receiver during this upcoming summer. I made the mistake of going Pro Logic when 5.1 first came out thinking I would be alright, but then less than a year later it seemed like everything was 5.1, and the 5.1 receivers were the same amount of money that I paid for my Pro Logic receiver.

I've got my eyes on a 7.1 "receiver" that retails for $1,400 (can't remember the name of the company - it's in my dads home theater magazine which is at home). Anyway, this unit is actually a pre-amp and a separate, 7 channel amplifier. Those are my plans anyway. After that it's time to make more speakers. :D

If you want to maintain spec, 7.1 is spec'd in the new THX Ultra 2. The rear 2 channels are to be placed side by side behind the listener.

Tim
It is better to be boldly decisive and be wrong than to agonize at length and be right.

Return to “Home Audio/Video”