Outlaw?

General discussion for all questions based in the home audio/video world.
jlaine

Outlaw?

Postby jlaine » Sun Apr 14, 2002 2:22 pm

Anyone have any experience with their equipment? They have a 7.1 processor that looks perfect, but there is a waiting list, and no price specified so far...

It looks perfect for what I need though.

here is the manual:

http://161.58.193.209/950manual.pdf

here is the site:

http://www.outlawaudio.com
Yo.
davidjs

Postby davidjs » Sun Apr 14, 2002 4:07 pm

I know that at the moment they're experiencing a first run issue, and not shipping any units till that is resolved, I don't think they have a definite timeline for that yet though....

I haven't bothered reading any of the threads on them, not interested in spending that much $$ right now (well, i would be, but i don't have the $$ to spend it, if ya know what i mean
;) )
Drinking from the firehose... care to join me for a sip??
"Always and never are two words you should always remember to never use..."
**Almost done, almost done**
aka Saleen999
jlaine

Postby jlaine » Sun Apr 14, 2002 4:11 pm

Originally posted by Saleen999
I know that at the moment they're experiencing a first run issue, and not shipping any units till that is resolved, I don't think they have a definite timeline for that yet though....

I haven't bothered reading any of the threads on them, not interested in spending that much $$ right now (well, i would be, but i don't have the $$ to spend it, if ya know what i mean
;) )

Do you know what the rough release price is going to be? I'm not willing to spend much either, it's just a decoder...
Yo.
nismo

Postby nismo » Sun Apr 14, 2002 4:19 pm

according to the website, its about 1000 bux

eric
Atomic Fusion

Postby Atomic Fusion » Sun Apr 14, 2002 5:52 pm

Josh, you might want to look at the 1050 unit if you're that worried. It runs only 6.1, but frankly I don't think you'll notice the difference unless you are extremely picky. You can actually run two rear center speakers - just run them both off the rear center output. It's mono, but I really don't think you'll notice much difference from true 7.1 anyway.

The 1050 model acts as a preamp, but also has amplified outputs with respectable capabilities if you decide against a multi-amp setup.

500 bux american. I'm not sure how it compares with the 'much anticipated' 950 unit.

Adam
Found something better.
SIN's Freelance Female "Rear Entry" Super Hero
jlaine

Postby jlaine » Sun Apr 14, 2002 8:03 pm

Originally posted by Atomic Fusion
Josh, you might want to look at the 1050 unit if you're that worried. It runs only 6.1, but frankly I don't think you'll notice the difference unless you are extremely picky. You can actually run two rear center speakers - just run them both off the rear center output. It's mono, but I really don't think you'll notice much difference from true 7.1 anyway.

The 1050 model acts as a preamp, but also has amplified outputs with respectable capabilities if you decide against a multi-amp setup.

500 bux american. I'm not sure how it compares with the 'much anticipated' 950 unit.

Adam

That sounds better anyway.. since 7.1 doesn't sound like a near future thing... and 1 grand for a decoder?? It better do more than just decode.... well, I won't go into that...

I'm starting to consider denon as a possibility then... hmm...

Any other suggestions on a decent preamp adam?
Yo.
Atomic Fusion

Postby Atomic Fusion » Sun Apr 14, 2002 8:41 pm

Originally posted by jlaine

That sounds better anyway.. since 7.1 doesn't sound like a near future thing... and 1 grand for a decoder?? It better do more than just decode.... well, I won't go into that...

I'm starting to consider denon as a possibility then... hmm...

Any other suggestions on a decent preamp adam?

Well, Denon makes good equipment. Yamaha is pretty good, Kenwood is eh... So so. We own two Kenwood amps, they seem to be solid but will clip when you turn the volume dials up to max. They wouldn't be my first choice for a new purchase. Stay the hell away from Sony and probably JVC as well.

Denon or Outlaw would be my top choices. To jump up to the next class of equipment means a serious price jump as well.

My preference of Outlaw to Denon is based solely that I've heard Outlaw is the better of the two, so you should find out for yourself definitely. Either way, I think you'd be happy. I'm really liking the 1050. Take it from someone who sat down and waded through the information, the thing is armed to the teeth with features and is really versatile. Good price tag, too.

Adam
Found something better.

SIN's Freelance Female "Rear Entry" Super Hero
nismo

Postby nismo » Sun Apr 14, 2002 8:50 pm

i think the $1200 denon is good enough for me.

eric
davidjs

Postby davidjs » Sun Apr 14, 2002 9:41 pm

I'm gonna vote for onkyo (http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?class=receivers&m=TX-SR700&p=i 700, due out soon)...

Just cuz i've had really good experiences w/ a friend's, and this looks like the unit I might be going with... has internal amps, itll you can buy all of your separates, all the latest bells and whistles, and I love the onkyo great ergonomics too!
Drinking from the firehose... care to join me for a sip??

"Always and never are two words you should always remember to never use..."

**Almost done, almost done**

aka Saleen999
jlaine

Postby jlaine » Mon Apr 15, 2002 12:30 am

Originally posted by Saleen999
I'm gonna vote for onkyo (http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?class=receivers&m=TX-SR700&p=i 700, due out soon)...

Just cuz i've had really good experiences w/ a friend's, and this looks like the unit I might be going with... has internal amps, itll you can buy all of your separates, all the latest bells and whistles, and I love the onkyo great ergonomics too!

What are we looking at for estimated MSRP Saleen?
Yo.

Return to “Home Audio/Video”