how to......

General discussion for all questions based in the home audio/video world.
Bojangles139

how to......

Postby Bojangles139 » Mon Apr 15, 2002 3:08 pm

aite, here is a question for ya all. i have a few spare car amps about. i wanna use'em to power a home system. i figure best way to power'em is with a converter for a couple hundred. TL an i did an experiment a few weeks ago where we used a computer's power supply to power it, and worked. the only problem (other then being way underpowered) is that we were forced to use the gain as volume. is there any way 'round this? how can i get volume control? :confused:

:cwm22:

brandon

P.S. and why the h*ll is home audio so freaking much more then car!? you can get 600 watts for $400 bux! to get 600 in your house, your looking at mad cash. :mad:
Soon to be.....

HU: Pioneer Premier DEH-730
Fronts: Boston Acoustics Pro 6.5 Series
Front Amp: Autotek SX-480
Sub: Elemental Designs e12A.22
Sub Amp: Autotek MX-4500

I know enough to know i don't know.
jlaine

Re: how to......

Postby jlaine » Mon Apr 15, 2002 3:13 pm

Originally posted by Bojangles139

P.S. and why the h*ll is home audio so freaking much more then car!? you can get 600 watts for $400 bux! to get 600 in your house, your looking at mad cash. :mad:

Well, my QSC RMX 850 cost me 284.99 and that gave me a potential 850 watts on tap...
As for your other question, you can wire in a control for it, but that would directly vary the impedance seen by the output of the player/whatever you are running it with...

So I'd use a cheap little boombox with RCA in, and then take the amplified outs and use a LOC if possible.
Yo.
Bojangles139

Re: Re: how to......

Postby Bojangles139 » Mon Apr 15, 2002 3:22 pm

Originally posted by jlaine
As for your other question, you can wire in a control for it, but that would directly vary the impedance seen by the output of the player/whatever you are running it with...

So I'd use a cheap little boombox with RCA in, and then take the amplified outs and use a LOC if possible.

Ha? NO GREEK! :D

brandon
Soon to be.....

TimDimman

Re: how to......

Postby TimDimman » Mon Apr 15, 2002 3:35 pm

Originally posted by Bojangles139
aite, here is a question for ya all. i have a few spare car amps about. i wanna use'em to power a home system. i figure best way to power'em is with a converter for a couple hundred. TL an i did an experiment a few weeks ago where we used a computer's power supply to power it, and worked. the only problem (other then being way underpowered) is that we were forced to use the gain as volume. is there any way 'round this? how can i get volume control? :confused:

brandon

You would need the couple hundred dollar 120 to 12V converter, but at a high amperage...I have a 13.8V 15 amp that cost me $100 and it will run a 100 Watt no problem, but for something larger, you'll have to get a big boy.

Whatever the case may be, you need sometype of pre/pro to send a signal to the amp. That pre/pro should have volume control. If you are running the amp directly from a CD player or something, then I don't know...sorry...

Tim
It is better to be boldly decisive and be wrong than to agonize at length and be right.
Bojangles139

Re: Re: how to......

Postby Bojangles139 » Mon Apr 15, 2002 4:17 pm

Originally posted by TimDimman

You would need the couple hundred dollar 120 to 12V converter, but at a high amperage...I have a 13.8V 15 amp that cost me $100 and it will run a 100 Watt no problem, but for something larger, you'll have to get a big boy.

Whatever the case may be, you need sometype of pre/pro to send a signal to the amp. That pre/pro should have volume control. If you are running the amp directly from a CD player or something, then I don't know...sorry...

Tim

aite, so the pre means pre-amp? also, know of any place i can get the converter and roughly how much? still curious about josh's post, but can't quite figure out what he means. :(

:Cwm22:

brandon
Soon to be.....

Atomic Fusion

Postby Atomic Fusion » Mon Apr 15, 2002 6:12 pm

A decent battery with a trickle charger is enough to run a decent 200 watt amplifier. It doesn't even have to be sealed.

I've got a 540 amp (cold crank, don't know hwat the amp/hour rating is) running an earthquake power 200x. When the battery gets low, I recharge it with the trickle charger.

The setup has worked fine for about four or five years now.

Keeping the sub volume the same as the main speaker volume is a problem. You could use the variable sub out on your HT amp if you have one, otherwise you'll need either a preamp or you could use a discman as well.

Adam
Found something better.
SIN's Freelance Female "Rear Entry" Super Hero
Derek

Postby Derek » Tue Apr 16, 2002 1:04 am

just seems easier and hassle free.....to just buy a receiver.....or an amp...hit up ebay, you can usually find some great deals on there...i know i did.....
Here in death's dominion
Where even shadows die
I am the one almighty
You will cry my name
And when you seek forgiveness
You will see there is no god
And for all eternity
You will cry my name
jlaine

Postby jlaine » Tue Apr 16, 2002 1:13 am

I'm pretty sure my Tripp-Lite 40 amp 13.8v regulated unit only goes for about 299...
You would want to buy it local though, thing weighs too much...
Yo.
Steven Kephart

Postby Steven Kephart » Tue Apr 16, 2002 1:52 am

Also check out the "for sale" sections of HT forums. You can find some great deals there. Those guys love upgrading, and they will take what they can get for their old equipment.
"The water is fast, but it ain't deep
I waded out before
I could do it in my sleep
Another line, another fix
Another "I don't care"
The place you thought you'd never be
Guess what, you're there

Sow a thought, reap an action
Sow an action, reap a habit
Sow a habit, reap a destiny"
TimDimman

Postby TimDimman » Tue Apr 16, 2002 12:03 pm

I agree with just buying a receiver...

It's nice to have a 12V bench supply though...Josh's TrippLite would work, PG makes one as well, but they really do go for $300, for that price, you can have a 100x5 amp made for 120V.

I would not do the battery, only because if the thing ever leaked, you'd be screwed. As well as it might have worked for Adam, I'd just call it luck. Also, the hydrogen fumes in the home, as well as corrosion taking over any other metal you might have around the battery scares me...When you trickle charge, hydrogen may be realeased as the water tends to boil in the battery...

Tim
It is better to be boldly decisive and be wrong than to agonize at length and be right.

Return to “Home Audio/Video”