how to......

General discussion for all questions based in the home audio/video world.
Atomic Fusion

Postby Atomic Fusion » Tue Apr 16, 2002 7:21 pm

Originally posted by a/d/s man

How long have you had that battery? Is it a deep cycle? I would think a regular starting battery would only last a couple months due to that punnishment. Keeping the trickle charger on it all the time will greatly increase the life of the battery.

I guess their a little more expensive, but I was told that some trickle chargers turn on and check to see if it needs to charge, and then turns off for a while. I'm not sure how it works, but it is designed to be used on batteries in storage.

No, it's not a deep cycle, just a regular car battery. I bought it new about four years ago, maybe more. Perhaps my system is hard on the battery, but after four years, I've gotten my money's worth otu of it (cost me $60).

I have tried that setup, but logic woudl suggest to me that if the amp is drawing current, the charger would detect that and deliver power to compensate. I just know that when you turned it up, the bass hits were clearly evident because the amperage output meter would spike up and down, for whatever reason.

I didn't want the charger getting cooked, so I decided to just run them seperately. Haven't had any problems, battery is still fine. Topped it up a couple days ago. Only thing I have noticed is the charger won't read a 'charged' from the battery anymore, it gets down to about an amp and then just keeps going like that. The battery is probably starting to go bad, but i still get 13 volts charged off it.

Adam
Found something better.
SIN's Freelance Female "Rear Entry" Super Hero
Electrodynamic

Postby Electrodynamic » Wed Apr 17, 2002 1:24 pm

I'm with others: Just buy a home or PA amplifier (like the one Josh bought). It'll end up costing you the same amount of money in the end and it will be less of a hassle.

Return to “Home Audio/Video”