how to......

General discussion for all questions based in the home audio/video world.
Atomic Fusion

Postby Atomic Fusion » Tue Apr 16, 2002 12:13 pm

Originally posted by TimDimman
I agree with just buying a receiver...

It's nice to have a 12V bench supply though...Josh's TrippLite would work, PG makes one as well, but they really do go for $300, for that price, you can have a 100x5 amp made for 120V.

I would not do the battery, only because if the thing ever leaked, you'd be screwed. As well as it might have worked for Adam, I'd just call it luck. Also, the hydrogen fumes in the home, as well as corrosion taking over any other metal you might have around the battery scares me...When you trickle charge, hydrogen may be realeased as the water tends to boil in the battery...

Tim

I have never had anything at all corrode around the battery, ever.

I'm not saying go out and build this system because it is the ultimate, because it is clearly not.

However, if you have a car battery, a trickle charger and a car amp sitting around and you need a temporary setup, I say go for it.

I'm aware of the operational quirks of an unsealed battery, and I've never had anything that even resembled a problem with the setup in five years. I wouldn't call that luck.

So if you already have the bits and pieces and you really need some power, I say why not. However, I wouldn't advise you go out and spend money actually building a system like this. I do agree that simply buying a reciever or even a pro amp would be simpler and more cost effective for large power output.

I'm just saying if you have the three pieces of the puzzle, there's no harm in a temporary setup. Just don't be dumb when handling the battery.

Adam
Found something better.
SIN's Freelance Female "Rear Entry" Super Hero
TimDimman

Postby TimDimman » Tue Apr 16, 2002 12:15 pm

Originally posted by Atomic Fusion

I have never had anything at all corrode around the battery, ever.

I'm not saying go out and build this system because it is the ultimate, because it is clearly not.

However, if you have a car battery, a trickle charger and a car amp sitting around and you need a temporary setup, I say go for it.

I'm aware of the operational quirks of an unsealed battery, and I've never had anything that even resembled a problem with the setup in five years. I wouldn't call that luck.

So if you already have the bits and pieces and you really need some power, I say why not. However, I wouldn't advise you go out and spend money actually building a system like this. I do agree that simply buying a reciever or even a pro amp would be simpler and more cost effective for large power output.

I'm just saying if you have the three pieces of the puzzle, there's no harm in a temporary setup. Just don't be dumb when handling the battery.

Adam

Uhhh...

I wasn't judging your setup Adam...I think you're clue'd in enough to know what you are doing...

I don't know Bo's experience, so I thought I'd cover the con's of your setup, as you only provided pro's.

Tim
It is better to be boldly decisive and be wrong than to agonize at length and be right.
Atomic Fusion

Postby Atomic Fusion » Tue Apr 16, 2002 12:21 pm

Originally posted by TimDimman

Uhhh...

I wasn't judging your setup Adam...I think you're clue'd in enough to know what you are doing...

I don't know Bo's experience, so I thought I'd cover the con's of your setup, as you only provided pro's.

Tim

No problem, I know.

But you did say it was luck that I haven't had a problem :) . Maybe a bit, but that's not entirely true.

The hydrogen released from the battery is in trace amounts, and if at all - would only ignite near the battery. It disperses into the room and is too thin to be an issue. I don't think I'm creating a hydrogen atmosphere in my room or anything :D

You're right that this setup could be disasterous... If you're not careful. Keep the battery away from flame (stash it over in a corner somewhere), and don't overcharge it, don't short the posts, don't knock it over/flip it upside down... and things should be smooth running for a temp setup.

I wouldn't get into the habit of doing this forever. As smart as it would be for me to switch to a 115 volt amp, my mind keeps telling me 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it!'. So I have trouble fronting even a little cash for a sub amp, cuz it seems pointless in my subconscience. Know what I mean? Otherwise I woulda been done with it a loooong time ago :rolleyes:

Adam
Found something better.

Steven Kephart

Postby Steven Kephart » Tue Apr 16, 2002 1:02 pm

You're right that this setup could be disasterous... If you're not careful. Keep the battery away from flame (stash it over in a corner somewhere), and don't overcharge it, don't short the posts, don't knock it over/flip it upside down... and things should be smooth running for a temp setup.

And if you "fix" yourself a sandwich, make sure to disconnect the battery terminal.:D

I was going to try this setup once before too. One possible problem someone mentioned I might have is noise. Does any of that 60hZ from the wall outlet get into your system? I know the battery will smooth out some of that ripple, but does it get it all?
"The water is fast, but it ain't deep
I waded out before
I could do it in my sleep
Another line, another fix
Another "I don't care"
The place you thought you'd never be
Guess what, you're there

Sow a thought, reap an action
Sow an action, reap a habit
Sow a habit, reap a destiny"
jlaine

Postby jlaine » Tue Apr 16, 2002 1:08 pm

Originally posted by a/d/s man

And if you "fix" yourself a sandwich, make sure to disconnect the battery terminal.:D

I was going to try this setup once before too. One possible problem someone mentioned I might have is noise. Does any of that 60hZ from the wall outlet get into your system? I know the battery will smooth out some of that ripple, but does it get it all?

The battery shouldn't see a 60hz signal at all.. how would it get in there...
Yo.
Atomic Fusion

Postby Atomic Fusion » Tue Apr 16, 2002 1:48 pm

Originally posted by jlaine

Yeah... The only feeback problems I've ever had are ones that are common to all home stereos and weren't related to the setup. They were caused by bad RCA's.

Adam
Found something better.

Steven Kephart

Postby Steven Kephart » Tue Apr 16, 2002 2:03 pm

Originally posted by jlaine

I was told it would be from the trickle charger being plugged into the wall outlet, and part of the circuit. But now that I think about it, your right. You will be getting your power from a full battery, not the charger.

One other thing to think about, is your not going to get your full power since your sitting down at 12 volts. So you do lose some potential power there, unless you have a tightly regulated amp.
I waded out before
Another "I don't care"
Guess what, you're there

Atomic Fusion

Postby Atomic Fusion » Tue Apr 16, 2002 2:47 pm

Originally posted by a/d/s man

I was told it would be from the trickle charger being plugged into the wall outlet, and part of the circuit. But now that I think about it, your right. You will be getting your power from a full battery, not the charger.

One other thing to think about, is your not going to get your full power since your sitting down at 12 volts. So you do lose some potential power there, unless you have a tightly regulated amp.

One thing that needs mentioning is if you decide to run the charger and the amp at the same time... Just be careful. A fan for the charger might be a smart move.

Keep in mind that if you run the charger, you have power drawing right off the trickle charger, just like an in-car setup with an alternator. If it can't handle the current draw, you'll blow it up.

I always run the system until the battery is dead, then recharge the battery with the amp turned off.

Adam
Found something better.

Steven Kephart

Postby Steven Kephart » Tue Apr 16, 2002 4:39 pm

One thing that needs mentioning is if you decide to run the charger and the amp at the same time... Just be careful. A fan for the charger might be a smart move.

Keep in mind that if you run the charger, you have power drawing right off the trickle charger, just like an in-car setup with an alternator. If it can't handle the current draw, you'll blow it up.

I always run the system until the battery is dead, then recharge the battery with the amp turned off.

Adam

How long have you had that battery? Is it a deep cycle? I would think a regular starting battery would only last a couple months due to that punnishment. Keeping the trickle charger on it all the time will greatly increase the life of the battery.

I guess their a little more expensive, but I was told that some trickle chargers turn on and check to see if it needs to charge, and then turns off for a while. I'm not sure how it works, but it is designed to be used on batteries in storage.
I waded out before
Another "I don't care"
Guess what, you're there

TimDimman

Postby TimDimman » Tue Apr 16, 2002 5:40 pm

Hmmm...

I thought that was pretty much the definition of trickle charger...

It checks constantly checks the battery, and as the the battery becomes charged, it drops its current into the battery...I would think that if the battery were fully charged, the charger would stop charging...??? As soon as something was drained off the battery, the charger would start again?

Tim
It is better to be boldly decisive and be wrong than to agonize at length and be right.

Return to “Home Audio/Video”