Something Glowing This Way Comes

General discussion for all questions based in the home audio/video world.
JimJ[VT]

Postby JimJ[VT] » Sun May 07, 2006 1:09 am

This may be a lilltle late for info but PE shows they have the Svetlana's in stock , at present.

I was looking at the matched pair page, but I see now they have the singles in stock :) I don't need matched tubes for the power stage, it's not that important. Two singles will get the job done quite nicely...if you hadn't mentioned something, I might never have bothered to check, hehe.

And yeah, I sold the 2A3 to a gent in British Columbia.
JimJ[VT]

Postby JimJ[VT] » Sat May 27, 2006 3:17 pm

New pics!

X-OvrDistortion

Postby X-OvrDistortion » Sat May 27, 2006 4:06 pm

'JimJ[VT wrote:']

Those wires are the hawtness. :D
westend

Postby westend » Mon May 29, 2006 11:35 pm

Good looking build quality on the amps. Care to share the MFG.'s name? I'm still looking for a valve setup but I can't seem to get my priorities and my finances to jive. One of these days...
Pioneer 860, Soundstream 600-4, Directed 1100d, CDT IEK, CDT EF61CF, 2-IDQ-10's NoGOT-No gas on Thurs.

JimJ[VT]

Postby JimJ[VT] » Tue May 30, 2006 11:41 am

Care to share the MFG.'s name?

Some retired postal worker in PA :D

I bought the amps from the guy who bought them originally, said that's who made the amps to begin with. I've found that commercially, tube amplifiers are very overpriced...DIY brings it down into the realm of the affordable. I'll probably end up going DIY on the preamp as well, because I can't find one commercially that does everything I want for the price I want...with the exception of Bottlehead stuff.

If you're interested in tubes, shoot me a PM sometime. It's really not as expensive as some people claim it to be, it's like anything...you can spend a little to get your feet wet, or go whole hog, or something in between.
Slusbe

Postby Slusbe » Wed May 31, 2006 3:52 am

yeah I've seen commercial SETs cost quite a pretty penny. sound oh so good though

Jim, what klipsches are you running? I friend of mine did something similar - he had a pair of RB-35's run by a Sonic Impact T-Amp, sounded great. Played plenty loud too
JimJ[VT]

Postby JimJ[VT] » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:17 pm

Sorry for the slow reply...the Klipsches are Forte II's, circa 1992.
Mike S.

Postby Mike S. » Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:00 pm

If one is poor (like myself), one can learn how to solder and get into vacuum tube circuits.
Most vintage tube amplifiers are really simple circuits, way more simple than SS car or SS home amplifier.

A tube linestage is simple and can be scratch built for peanuts.

It's pretty rough to botch something like a single-ended 2A3 amp.

I bought the parts from a local friend for my stereo 2A3 amp for 400 bucks, another 150 bucks or so to complete the project. 550 bucks.......and this ain't no wimpy little wright sound 2A3 monoblocks.
A commercial equal would probably run a easy $1500 to $2000 or better.

That's the most cash I've dumped into a tube amp.........

I found and rebuilt a little single-ended Magnavox 6BQ5 amp. Found it for 4 bucks, and spent another 20, 30 in the rebuild.
Bought a push-pull Maggotbox 6BQ5 amp off eBay for 40 bucks, 60 with shipping.

Found a old '61 Admiral console stereo last fall for 20 bucks. It has a push-pull 6BQ5 amplifier. I spent 3 bucks in resistors to change the front-end driver circuit to 12AX7's.
(The original 12AU7 driver circuit sounded wretched, sounds damn good now...)

The latest was a Eico ST-70 found at ST-Vinnies for a whopping 3 bucks. Unhacked, all original with all the original tubes that test strong.
(Not bad, a 35 wpc tube amp for less than a pack of smokes..........)
Currently giving the amp a full rebuild, I may have to sink 50 bucks into this one, however.

Efficient speakers are nice to have if one wants to deal with low wattage tube amps, power hungry speakers take lotsa tube watts. And high-powered tube amps can get spendy. This is when solid state is more practical.

But I don't encourage DIY'ing vacuum tube circuits to anyone unless they really want to, it's like a damn crack habit.......but if you are poor..........
JimJ[VT]

Postby JimJ[VT] » Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:31 pm

it's like a damn crack habit.....

Hear hear :(
westend

Postby westend » Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:38 am

Mike S. wrote:If one is poor (like myself), one can learn how to solder and get into vacuum tube circuits.
Most vintage tube amplifiers are really simple circuits, way more simple than SS car or SS home amplifier.

A tube linestage is simple and can be scratch built for peanuts.

It's pretty rough to botch something like a single-ended 2A3 amp.

I bought the parts from a local friend for my stereo 2A3 amp for 400 bucks, another 150 bucks or so to complete the project. 550 bucks.......and this ain't no wimpy little wright sound 2A3 monoblocks.
A commercial equal would probably run a easy $1500 to $2000 or better.

That's the most cash I've dumped into a tube amp.........

I found and rebuilt a little single-ended Magnavox 6BQ5 amp. Found it for 4 bucks, and spent another 20, 30 in the rebuild.
Bought a push-pull Maggotbox 6BQ5 amp off eBay for 40 bucks, 60 with shipping.

Found a old '61 Admiral console stereo last fall for 20 bucks. It has a push-pull 6BQ5 amplifier. I spent 3 bucks in resistors to change the front-end driver circuit to 12AX7's.
(The original 12AU7 driver circuit sounded wretched, sounds damn good now...)

The latest was a Eico ST-70 found at ST-Vinnies for a whopping 3 bucks. Unhacked, all original with all the original tubes that test strong.
(Not bad, a 35 wpc tube amp for less than a pack of smokes..........)
Currently giving the amp a full rebuild, I may have to sink 50 bucks into this one, however.

Efficient speakers are nice to have if one wants to deal with low wattage tube amps, power hungry speakers take lotsa tube watts. And high-powered tube amps can get spendy. This is when solid state is more practical.

But I don't encourage DIY'ing vacuum tube circuits to anyone unless they really want to, it's like a damn crack habit.......but if you are poor..........
Now that is what I wanted to hear. I've been studying a little on tube circuits but that "crack habit" with the associated compulsive scroungophiling behavior sounds like it's right up my alley. I've been on a recent binge on the SS stuff (coke habit?) and at present have five pieces of gear in various states of transit. Your post and the look of Jim's amps have given me some inspiration. I have the efficient speakers-Fostex BLH at 93db. Is there a particular direction to start or one piece of gear to start with? I have SS tuners and amps but no straight preamp other than using a SS receiver. Would a tube amp be the place to start and what circuit is recommended?
Pioneer 860, Soundstream 600-4, Directed 1100d, CDT IEK, CDT EF61CF, 2-IDQ-10's NoGOT-No gas on Thurs.

Return to “Home Audio/Video”