Hanging speakers and tv on wall?

General discussion for all questions based in the home audio/video world.
vfootballphs

Hanging speakers and tv on wall?

Postby vfootballphs » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:15 pm

I have been rearranging my apartment and the only way I can think of that will allow enough room for an even decent sitting position is to mount the tv(regular crt) up on the wall right down from the celing. Is there any rule against this? Also, What about mounting the speakers on the wall up higher also so that the sound image wouldn't be lower and the tv image higher? This also give me much more storage space. The speakers are Acoustic Research AR 94's(love these things). They would be used for movies and music. I would prefer music quality more than movies however. Thanks
Robert_J

Postby Robert_J » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:11 am

There are no "rules" against this, just guidelines. Mounting the TV that high will cause you to have to look up all of the time. The best way would be to lay down in a recliner and watch it. It is good that you are thinking about your soundstage but are your speakers designed to be wall mounted? Do they have rear ports? Are they too heavy for mounting brackets? Does the manufacturer recommend you mounting them that close to the wall?

-Robert
vfootballphs

Postby vfootballphs » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:28 pm

No ports, however they are quite heavy. I don't know about recommendations. These things were made in the mid 80's. They are some fantastic sounding speakers. I would really rather not hang stuff, but that's the only way I can think of that will allow enough space in the room I have. We watch tv reclining most of th time anyway, so that's not a problem.
ballstothewall

Postby ballstothewall » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:11 pm

If they are of any decent weight, I would make a wall sized shelving unit that also doubles as stand for the TV and/or speakers.
X-OvrDistortion

Postby X-OvrDistortion » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:51 pm

Set them on bricks until they get to the level you want them at........:D
vfootballphs

Postby vfootballphs » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:04 pm

Hehe, I could, but that would defeat the more space requirement:) Does anyone know how this will affect the sound?
westend

Postby westend » Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:28 pm

If you set the speakers off the floor you will lose the floor loading, which gives you a lot of bass. The speakers will not sound the same in the lower octaves.
Pioneer 860, Soundstream 600-4, Directed 1100d, CDT IEK, CDT EF61CF, 2-IDQ-10's NoGOT-No gas on Thurs.

vfootballphs

Postby vfootballphs » Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:31 pm

What's up with spikes then? I thought the entire point of spikes was to separate the speakers from the floor as much as possible by keeping the area they are touching to an absolute minimum.
westend

Postby westend » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:14 am

vfootballphs wrote:What's up with spikes then? I thought the entire point of spikes was to separate the speakers from the floor as much as possible by keeping the area they are touching to an absolute minimum.
You're right, the purpose of spikes is to eliminate resonance transfer. I was referring to the acoustical loading of the sound in relation to the floor. In general you'll get about 3db-6db from the floor loading effect. If you raise the speakers way up you lose the floor loading. Try it out by raising the speakers up on stacks of books or my favorite (from the old days), beer cases:cwm18: .
Pioneer 860, Soundstream 600-4, Directed 1100d, CDT IEK, CDT EF61CF, 2-IDQ-10's NoGOT-No gas on Thurs.

Dracula McNeill

Postby Dracula McNeill » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:46 pm

Personally I dont think you're gonna like having the TV that high... sounds like a neck problem in the making

Return to “Home Audio/Video”