Matching 5.1 component sensitivity

General discussion for all questions based in the home audio/video world.
newguy

Postby newguy » Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:11 pm

Well, I've been pondering my setup/situation and I agree that what I'm hearing from the rears is about right....

My main concern was the 4db advantage that the mains had over the rears (90db vs 86) and that it took a 10db gain for the rears to even be noticeable....

But I did notice that when playing movies w/the rears turned off, the movie didn't sound 'whole'...I suppose they are supplying enough depth as they are...

BTW, how much noticeable difference is there between DD and DTS?

I hate that the machine won't play DTS tagged movies simply because it should....
jlaine

Postby jlaine » Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:36 pm

newguy wrote:Well, I've been pondering my setup/situation and I agree that what I'm hearing from the rears is about right....

My main concern was the 4db advantage that the mains had over the rears (90db vs 86) and that it took a 10db gain for the rears to even be noticeable....

But I did notice that when playing movies w/the rears turned off, the movie didn't sound 'whole'...I suppose they are supplying enough depth as they are...

BTW, how much noticeable difference is there between DD and DTS?

I hate that the machine won't play DTS tagged movies simply because it should....

DTS format you normally have to select, either via the audio tab in the dvd player or via the menu options in the dvd supplied.

Typically if both formats are available, immediate default is DD 5.1.
Yo.
newguy

Postby newguy » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:41 pm

You're correct...the default is DD and the manual says to manually select DTS but when I do, it doesn't light up/indicate DTS is working and there's no sound...

I did some googling last year and found that the DTS not working was the only issue folks had w/the (at the time) $550 unit....so I guess it's a design flaw or something, but it still irks me.

However, I have been eyeing some $2-300 Pioneer 6/7.1 units that I'm considering...Just need to make sure they have enough inputs/outputs for everything....

I'm happy w/the JBL Northridge/AR setup. Now to budget a projector to replace the 32"..:)

Jeremy
jlaine

Postby jlaine » Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:03 pm

You have to have a DTS signal present to switch it to DTS though - if it doesn't auto sense... Verify that the audio stream you are sending from the DVD player or whatever you are using is DTS too.

It's a hassle when you have to manually swap... I agree - but I'd think there is a kink in the signal chain more than the receiver being defective at this point.
Yo.
newguy

Postby newguy » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:47 pm

Well generally, it seems that most DVDs that I've noticed don't even present audio setup options anymore (since most/all are in DD and most receivers auto detect?) but one movie acually had the audio setup option and offered DD and DTS as options. I selected DTS but the receiver didn't pick it up. I then manually switched it to DTS and nothing, so I went back to DD....

I'll have to find some more DTS movies and fool w/the unit.....
--m--

Postby --m-- » Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:05 am

Sometimes you ahve to set the DVD player into PCM/Stream in the options menu (not the movie menu but the actual DVD player setup menu) for it to work. Going to DTS from DD is night and day on my system.
Once you've hit rock bottom there's only one way to go....sideways
Mlstrass

Postby Mlstrass » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:26 pm

Just an FYI that you might already be aware of:

A LOT of movies offer DD/DTS selection under the Language options....

Return to “Home Audio/Video”