need help with diy projector screen

General discussion for all questions based in the home audio/video world.
shaggy

need help with diy projector screen

Postby shaggy » Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:29 pm

Hello all, I just bought a new projector and need to build a acoustically(SP) transparent screen. What materials do i need, and how do i go about doing it?
I imagine that all you have to do is build a square frame and stretch the screen material over it, and stapple it into place. but I dont know if there is any better way to do it, or what to use for the screen.

John
Robert_J

Postby Robert_J » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:23 pm

Finding the acoustically transparent material at a decent price will be the most difficult part. Other than that, you are correct in your building ideas.

Here's my frame (along with a nice picture of me) - link
Screen with curtains around it - link
Here's the border that is made out of door frame casing - link

I built the frame and added the parts to hang it to the wall, covered it in black out cloth ($5/yard) and then attached the border to the screen with about 8 brad nails. I have thought about painting the BO cloth with one of the many grey formulas that are floating around the home theater forums. If I don't like it, I'm out $10 for more BO cloth.

If you are serious about acoustically transparent screens, then check ebay for the material. AVS Forum has a DIY screen section where they discuss material all the time.

-Robert
jlaine

Postby jlaine » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:13 am

Do a search for Dazian on ebay - they carry the transparent cloth that you're after - but it's going to get relatively expensive like Robert already warned you about.

Josh
Yo.
shaggy

Postby shaggy » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:16 pm

thanks for the info guys, i havent had time for research yet but i will start to look into it soon. for now i made a frame and put a cheap white sheet from kmart up. picture is kinda ok and sound goes through but the treble is muddy, so i need something different.

john
Robert_J

Postby Robert_J » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:37 pm

Acoustically transparent screens are not truely transparent. They will color the upper frequency sound. Even grill cloth will do this a little. As you can see from my pictures, I designed my screen to have room on the sides for speakers. When my final ones are built, they will not have grills.

-Robert
shaggy

Postby shaggy » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:36 am

I'm not worried about left and right as much as my center channel. I would like the center channel in the center of the screen, left and right can set off to either side of the screen if I make it smaller. Anything should be better than what I have now.

I went on dazians site josh and that stuff looks like it would work great, but ebay didnt have anything by them when i looked, i will just have to search for it.

john

Return to “Home Audio/Video”