My use of the Dayton Reference 7" mids *For a dorm room*

General discussion for all questions based in the home audio/video world.
ballstothewall

My use of the Dayton Reference 7" mids *For a dorm room*

Postby ballstothewall » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:02 pm

Ok, this is a build of my Quad Dayton Reference towers. Well, currently it is only a tower. This build is a protype of my future dorm system. I did not want to find out I didn't like the project after I had just cut up a 60 dollar sheet of good Baltic Birch Ply.

The cabinet is roughly 3 cubes tuned to 40hz. It houses four 7" Dayton Reference Mids and one Dayton 4.60$ tweeter, soon to be Morel MDT29's. I'll let the pics talk for themselves.

The plans...
The old jigsaw that crapped out
The front piece
The corner... *don't know why I took this picture.
Back piece being glued in.
Inside
Love these little guys....
Two mids and a tweet in.
Box 'o goodies
Whats this I spy? A 12" jointer that needs to be wired up??
Old arse router and small set of bits...
Quality Radio... AM only
And with just the sides/top/bottom on
ballstothewall

Postby ballstothewall » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:05 pm

Here are the final pictures of it completed.

This is my first time setting up anything active. I wanted to play around before I thought of desigining and making a passive crossover network for these. It took me a little while before I found what I liked. I know it can be fine tuned alot by ears more trained than mine, but I don't know anyone like that around. The tweeter gets a little nasty around the crossover point, it isn't even supposed to crossover that low (Dayton 4.60$ ones). I have them crossed over around 2200hz. I'm hoping my new tweets on order will help that out (Morel MDT29's).

My initial hearing was wow, these have some output.

After getting a little more time in on these tonight I've came to a couple conclusions. The crossover point gets a little nasy, a new tweet able to get lower should fix that. These have some considerable ability to dip down low (~2.8cubes 40hz rearward firing port) and are very detailed and crisp. I really like my Fostex's and I think I already like these even more.

These are going in a dorm room once I get the pair built (this is the prototype model). I have a feeling its going to be a little bit of overkill. With the way they are sounding now I don't believe I am going to be running a substage for awhile.

Overall I am very pleased with how it came out, this is my first project that I've designed/built/came up with myself. It is a very pleasant sounding speaker, tight accurate low end, a decent upper range *will be improving*.

Advice, input, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
X-OvrDistortion

Postby X-OvrDistortion » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:19 pm

When you build you final boxes, flush mount the speakers.

I use the Dayton Reference 5" speakers. These play low, I can only imagine how low those play.

You should also look into building a simple crossover. That will help the sound out dramaticly.
ballstothewall

Postby ballstothewall » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:47 pm

X-OvrDistortion wrote:When you build you final boxes, flush mount the speakers.

I use the Dayton Reference 5" speakers. These play low, I can only imagine how low those play.

You should also look into building a simple crossover. That will help the sound out dramaticly.

They are ran active. The gear is:
Preamp: Behringer T1953 tube preamp, upgraded to EI Gold Elites (12AX7's)
Crossover: Behringer CX2310
Tweeter amp: ART SLA-1
Mid amp: Behringer EP2500

Maybe I'm missing something though, what sound difference would there be between a passive and active if they are both set up pretty decently?

Thanks.
X-OvrDistortion

Postby X-OvrDistortion » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:50 pm

ballstothewall wrote:They are ran active through a Behring T1953 tube preamp (upgraded tubes to matched pair of Elite Golds), then a Behringer CX2310 crossover, the tweets are on the ART SLA-1 amp and the mids on the Behringer EP2500.

Maybe I'm missing something though, what sound difference would there be between a passive and active if they are both set up pretty decently?

I missed the part where you said they are running active. :cwm19: If I had the capabilities, that is the way I would run my speakers, but I don't. So I had a very competent designer design mine.
ballstothewall

Postby ballstothewall » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:21 pm

X-OvrDistortion wrote:I missed the part where you said they are running active. :cwm19: If I had the capabilities, that is the way I would run my speakers, but I don't. So I had a very competent designer design mine.

No problem. I'm not exactly a competent designer for crossovers, so I'm running active.

I needed to upgrade receivers, sooooo I told myself might as well upgrade to run full active. Twas a good year at school last year, started off with a logitech computer setup, ended up with the equipment listed above and Fostex FE103E's in horns and an ED e8a.44 for sub duty...
westend

Postby westend » Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:50 am

You might try building the final version a little wider. That would help with baffle step and would get you a little lower. How high do those Daytons play?
Pioneer 860, Soundstream 600-4, Directed 1100d, CDT IEK, CDT EF61CF, 2-IDQ-10's NoGOT-No gas on Thurs.

ballstothewall

Postby ballstothewall » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:03 am

westend wrote:You might try building the final version a little wider. That would help with baffle step and would get you a little lower. How high do those Daytons play?

Could you explain on that one a little more please? Would upping the width to around 11-12 inches be enough (currently at 9.5external)
newguy

Postby newguy » Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:00 pm

I think the Daytons only easily go up to around 1.6-2.2khz max....the NDs won't like going below 3500-4khz....of course, that in itself isn't bad considering the price but they're not really 2 way material...at least, not w/the Dayton RS series, I would think...

Jeremy
ballstothewall

Postby ballstothewall » Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:23 pm

newguy wrote:I think the Daytons only easily go up to around 1.6-2.2khz max....the NDs won't like going below 3500-4khz....of course, that in itself isn't bad considering the price but they're not really 2 way material...at least, not w/the Dayton RS series, I would think...

Jeremy

'Tis why Morel MDT29's will be at my door on monday. :)
I bought a couple of the Dayton tweets mainly because if I blew them setting up the active, who cares?

Return to “Home Audio/Video”