Car sub in my room?

General discussion for all questions based in the home audio/video world.
Robert_J

Postby Robert_J » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:55 am

I did not "aim" for that. That's the only way I could get the Qtc under .7. Also, I don't tune ported subs for home use to 30hz. Play War of the Worlds at a good volume and see what those 10hz special effects will do. Also, I don't use sub sonic filters on my home subs either.

The OP didn't give his listening preferences like HT, music or both. He didn't list what he was going to power it with. He didn't list his normal listening volume (I'm about 10db below Dolby reference levels). So I modeled based on how I would use it.

-Robert
Death By Bass

Postby Death By Bass » Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:40 pm

Robert_J wrote:I did not "aim" for that. That's the only way I could get the Qtc under .7. Also, I don't tune ported subs for home use to 30hz. Play War of the Worlds at a good volume and see what those 10hz special effects will do. Also, I don't use sub sonic filters on my home subs either.

The OP didn't give his listening preferences like HT, music or both. He didn't list what he was going to power it with. He didn't list his normal listening volume (I'm about 10db below Dolby reference levels). So I modeled based on how I would use it.

-Robert

but with the sealed enclosure, its going to be -14dB at 10Hz anyway so its going to have no output at 10Hz anyway....

its also going to be 10dB quieter at 30Hz.

so, whats your average SPL levels then? whats 10dB below reference?
Robert_J

Postby Robert_J » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:45 pm

Death By Bass wrote:so, whats your average SPL levels then?
It's loud enough to hear the dialog of movies but not loud enough to damage my hearing during special effects. I've never measured. It sounds great so that's all that matters.

Death By Bass wrote:whats 10dB below reference?
Here's the link for calibrating and setting reference level. http://www.svsound.com/questions-faqs.cfm#meter My receiver's volume control is about -10 when calibrating reference levels. I watch movies with my receiver's volume control set at -20. The sub is set about 6db louder than the speakers. I'm still working on taming some peaks in the frequency response using a parametric equalizer.

Death By Bass wrote:but with the sealed enclosure, its going to be -14dB at 10Hz anyway so its going to have no output at 10Hz anyway....

its also going to be 10dB quieter at 30Hz.
Getting back to the original subject, porting it with an Fb of 30hz would be great for a music only system. Back in college, I would have liked it. But since then I have refined my tastes in both audio quality and beer (I'm a slob in most other aspects). I wouldn't use this sub in the house. It does not fit my listening habits in any enclosure that I simulated.

-Robert
Death By Bass

Postby Death By Bass » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:30 pm

Robert_J wrote:
Getting back to the original subject, porting it with an Fb of 30hz would be great for a music only system. Back in college, I would have liked it. But since then I have refined my tastes in both audio quality and beer (I'm a slob in most other aspects). I wouldn't use this sub in the house. It does not fit my listening habits in any enclosure that I simulated.

-Robert

considering that the thread starter was talking about HIMSELF, not YOU, and seems to want to be playing MUSIC, I dont see why you would suggest what would best suit YOUR needs.

and even then, 100litres tuned to 30Hz, vs 100litres sealed, they are going to have similar cone excursion, and output at 10Hz, (in other words you wont hear either) but the 30Hz tune will be alot louder, and have a much flatter frequency response....

but hey, maybe you like your 30Hz bass at -10dB from your 60Hz bass...
Robert_J

Postby Robert_J » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:17 pm

I retract my "massive box" statement earlier. I had Unibox configured incorrectly and actually modeled 4 subs in the box.

I still stand behind my sealed box rec except that I now suggest a 2cf box, stuffed with 3 pounds of polyfil. Fb - 46.56 hz and f3 - 60.26 hz. Qtc is .568 (critically damped). Unless dorms have gotten significantly larger since '87, the room gain should fill in the bottom nicely for both music and HT.

Death by Bass' suggestion of 100L ported also looks good but I don't recommend tuning that high unless there is a SSF on the amp.

-Robert
NDGeist

Postby NDGeist » Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:10 pm

People have HT subs that play > 60Hz? F that noise. Tune to 10 hz and buy/build a decent set of fronts. :)

My HT sub is crossed somewhere between 40 and 50 hz.

I think the OP has gotten 10 replies with 9 differing opinions, just goes to show how much of a science this is, and how much "magic" is involved..
Mis-spellers of the world, untie!
There are only 10 types of people in the world,
those who understand binary, and those who don't.
95Honda

Postby 95Honda » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:36 pm

The SX will be fine tuned at 30Hz for a H/T.

I've done it, twice, with 1200 watt plate amps each time. An SE also. Don't worry about a SSF, reference levels of the reciever or any thing else like that.

Besides, it's for a dorm room right? The SX will hammer down on your *** in a set-up like that, and that's what you'll want in there..... Just build it, 3-4ft3 @25-30Hz with as much port area as you can handle and let it wang.....

This is from experience, and not a computer program, BTW....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://www.forceaudio.com

Marshall asked me how much it would be to fly to Idaho....
Luda

Postby Luda » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:36 pm

i mean, i got a random 12" hooked up to a 200W blitz POS amp, hooked up to a modded computer power supply. and it canm be heard through out the house and shakes stuff off my shelves. so i think you should wang hard core.
Ravo wrote:It's an audiophile grade nuclear reactor inside of an amp casing. All the biohazard stickers are on the inside.

Ride:2003 Jeep Wrangler X 4.0L
HU: Kenwood Excelon
Fronts: Stock
Rears: Stock
Sub: Stock
Amp: stock
westend

Postby westend » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:32 am

A 15" sub, either sealed or ported will deliver mean levels of bass in that room. Just depends on whether you want it to stir your drinks for you or not. Is it built, yet?
Pioneer 860, Soundstream 600-4, Directed 1100d, CDT IEK, CDT EF61CF, 2-IDQ-10's NoGOT-No gas on Thurs.

Luda

Postby Luda » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:47 am

i mean... i want a sub that can stir my drinks.. thad be bad ***...
Ravo wrote:It's an audiophile grade nuclear reactor inside of an amp casing. All the biohazard stickers are on the inside.

Ride:2003 Jeep Wrangler X 4.0L
HU: Kenwood Excelon
Fronts: Stock
Rears: Stock
Sub: Stock
Amp: stock

Return to “Home Audio/Video”