Car sub in my room?

General discussion for all questions based in the home audio/video world.
ballstothewall

Postby ballstothewall » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:09 pm

A SX in a dorm will be stupidly cool and ungodly loud.
bigpuss

Postby bigpuss » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:19 am

I'm fairly certain I'm going to use my money for a 2 ch. stereo system instead of the surround sound. I was looking at this design. http://www.partsexpress.com/projectshowcase/magna/index.html

Except what I would like to do is build each cabinet with twice the drivers. Do you think that 8 Dayton 12's would work out better than the SX15? I was also looking at this amp.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=248-745

Any suggestions?
NDGeist

Postby NDGeist » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:44 am

Holy christ, those speakers have two 12" subs in each one and are -20DB at 20hz. WTF is wrong with that picture? the giant slope that starts at 50 hz and gets crazy steep at 30 hz makes me think something is wrong.
Mis-spellers of the world, untie!
There are only 10 types of people in the world,
those who understand binary, and those who don't.
bigpuss

Postby bigpuss » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:59 pm

NDGeist wrote:Holy christ, those speakers have two 12" subs in each one and are -20DB at 20hz. WTF is wrong with that picture? the giant slope that starts at 50 hz and gets crazy steep at 30 hz makes me think something is wrong.

Can anyone shed some light on the issue?
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:30 pm

Let there be light

It's a crappy design.
--m--

Postby --m-- » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:33 pm

I would think that it was designed more to PA like system than home theater. I'm sure that there is lot's of output at 40Hz which for 95% of the music out there will be fine. Go to a dance club/rock concert and the systems there won't give you a great deal under 30-40Hz and they can sound pretty amazing. Remember...it's a party speaker not critical listening :p.
Once you've hit rock bottom there's only one way to go....sideways
bigpuss

Postby bigpuss » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:20 pm

Hmm... Well maybe I should be looking in a different direction. Can anyone please help me come to a conclusion?
bigpuss

Postby bigpuss » Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:15 am

bigpuss wrote:Hmm... Well maybe I should be looking in a different direction. Can anyone please help me come to a conclusion?

I guess what I'm now interested in is a pretty fat stereo setup. My budget is $1000 for the speakers and crossovers. Any suggestions?
95Honda

Postby 95Honda » Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:53 pm

bigpuss wrote:Can anyone shed some light on the issue?

They are about like almost every other speaker out there under $1K, and just like what everyone likes to listen to....
http://www.forceaudio.com

Marshall asked me how much it would be to fly to Idaho....
MEDIUMUS

Postby MEDIUMUS » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:56 pm

bigpuss wrote:I guess what I'm now interested in is a pretty fat stereo setup. My budget is $1000 for the speakers and crossovers. Any suggestions?

In my honest opinion, go buy a pair of Klipsch RF-7's. They are closing them out right now at Ultimate Electronics all over the country to make way for the new line up. These speakers have awesome dynamics ESPECIALLY when they are compared to speakers in their price range. I have a Nakamichi PA-7 amplifier running mine and they can get extremely loud and completely hold their composure while they do it. I have tried to replace them with other brands, but nothing below $3000 holds a candle to them. You should be able to find a pair for under a grand right now.

I am currently running mine full range without a sub, but they are in the corners of a 13' x 13' room with bass traps, so they can extend plenty low for music. Also, give them at least 200 watts from a well built amp and you will get all the bass controll you need. This way you could skip the subwoofer and be very happy. You will probably want to add a few bass traps for a dorm room though...

Return to “Home Audio/Video”