Bose Sub in non Bose system??

General discussion for all questions based in the home audio/video world.
woodpaneling

Bose Sub in non Bose system??

Postby woodpaneling » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:33 am

I have a powered Bose subwoofer that has been laying around my house for the past too long. I finally got a HT setup and I tried hooking up the Bose sub on my receiver. I couldn't quite figure out if it is possible. The sub input is a different type connection than the Bose sub has. Is it possible to use one of these without the Bose receiver? I swear I have seen it done before in those demo setups at stores, but I never paid attention to how they did it. IF anyone knows I would appreciate some advice. I'm too poor to buy a new sub at the moment.

My receiver is an Onkyo receiver... figured that might help.

Thanks!!
westend

Postby westend » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:01 am

I would think if you get the sub-out signal to the wiring of the Bose unit you're gold. Maybe make an adaptor of some kind?
Pioneer 860, Soundstream 600-4, Directed 1100d, CDT IEK, CDT EF61CF, 2-IDQ-10's NoGOT-No gas on Thurs.

John

Postby John » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:00 am

What kind of connection/connecter inputs/etc does the sub have? Description, name, pic...?
93CougarXR7SE

Postby 93CougarXR7SE » Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:27 pm

Give me some more info on it, and I'll ask some of the guys at work about it some more. We sell Bose systems, but I'm not sure if it's the same style. You could check our website link below, in my sig.
Benjamin 07/30/82 89 Ranger; '95 S10; '02 Ninja 250R, '99 Honda XR80; '90 Yamaha RT 100

Bedroom: Onkyo TX-SR605B powering DefTech ProCenter 2000 and pair BP6B, 2 Mirage Omni 350, PE amp pushing 12" eD B212.

Smooth move, FedEx!
Atomic Fusion

Postby Atomic Fusion » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:46 pm

woodpaneling wrote:I have a powered Bose subwoofer that has been laying around my house for the past too long. I finally got a HT setup and I tried hooking up the Bose sub on my receiver. I couldn't quite figure out if it is possible. The sub input is a different type connection than the Bose sub has. Is it possible to use one of these without the Bose receiver? I swear I have seen it done before in those demo setups at stores, but I never paid attention to how they did it. IF anyone knows I would appreciate some advice. I'm too poor to buy a new sub at the moment.

My receiver is an Onkyo receiver... figured that might help.

Thanks!!

Blose uses highly proprietary systems in their products... Their Lifestyle systems connect the 'receiver' (which is more of a pre-amp/processor/DVD player) to the subwoofer via a data cable, which also contains all of the amplification for the remaining satellite speakers. Assuming this is the kind of subwoofer you have (by the sounds of it, it may very well be if it has odd connections) it is not practical to hook it up to your generic receiver. Don't fret, though... You're not missing much.

Adam
Found something better.
SIN's Freelance Female "Rear Entry" Super Hero
JBLgeo

Postby JBLgeo » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:50 pm

Atomic Fusion wrote:Blose uses highly proprietary systems in their products... Their Lifestyle systems connect the 'receiver' (which is more of a pre-amp/processor/DVD player) to the subwoofer via a data cable, which also contains all of the amplification for the remaining satellite speakers. Assuming this is the kind of subwoofer you have (by the sounds of it, it may very well be if it has odd connections) it is not practical to hook it up to your generic receiver. Don't fret, though... You're not missing much.

Adam

Yup. Bose sucks. Time to upgrade!!:)
Blazer Extreme
Pioneer Signal
Zapco Power and Processing
Tangband Speakers and Subs
93CougarXR7SE

Postby 93CougarXR7SE » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:04 pm

Sucks for the price. If you can do it yourself, then do it. All these rich people will drop a few grand on equipment. We did work at a house the other day, $1000 install for all the people working there. They don't care. I do like those speakers in the ceiling that we installed, but I would rather have some beefier ones than what they had us install, but being able to control everything in your house from the DAB panels is cool. Change the music in any room. But if you actually want something that's bad-arse, you gotta either pay out your arse or build it yourself, pretty much. But if you're not paying to upgrade anything, it's better to just fix it yourself. Now if I could get some more info, I could see what you could do. Otherwise sell it to some rich dude, or someone that will pay a ton of money for it, and build something better and have some cash left over.
Benjamin 07/30/82 89 Ranger; '95 S10; '02 Ninja 250R, '99 Honda XR80; '90 Yamaha RT 100

Bedroom: Onkyo TX-SR605B powering DefTech ProCenter 2000 and pair BP6B, 2 Mirage Omni 350, PE amp pushing 12" eD B212.

Smooth move, FedEx!
93CougarXR7SE

Postby 93CougarXR7SE » Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:49 am

One of the other install guys said we carry a connector. Someone else didn't think so and said you need the receiver, but if you let me know which one you have, I can find out more, maybe get a part number for you.

But just like my last comment, they said to just sell it and build another amp/sub setup.

Smooth move, FedEx!

Return to “Home Audio/Video”