smaller home sub design

General discussion for all questions based in the home audio/video world.
Tarzann

smaller home sub design

Postby Tarzann » Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:48 pm

I've built several home subs using the Adire Shiva and the Dayton DVC 12 in about 2 ft^3 sealed with the 300 watt BASH amp from PE.

I'd like to find a design that has about the same output for about the same price (around $100 for the driver, all else stays the same) and uses a [B]smaller[B] cabinet.

Anyone know of a low cost/high performance 10" design that will yield similar output and drop the enclosure down to around 1 ft^3 or so?

A used 10" Brahma could fit the bill, but I doubt I could find one at all, much less at that price.

Thanks,
Dave
98 Contour
Clarion DRX-9255:Zapco SL-7:Phoenix Gold EQ-230 (soon to be Audio Control DQX I hope):dual PG mx3i's:PG Bass Cube : feeding 5 PG MPS-2240's and a MPS-2500: currently Vifa/MB Quart drivers, soon to be Adire Tumult 18 :Tempest 10 under dash:Extremis mids:FR125's
eezip

Postby eezip » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:54 pm

A pair of Apex Jr. Super 8"s might be a route to check out http://www.apexjr.com/Super8.htm

The NHT10 on sale at Madisound is another seemingly good candidate, but I don't have box information. You could play with a driver simulation program and see if you can come up with a good alignment. http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=9020547.24542&pid=723

Also, never underestimate eBay. I've bought Paradigm and NHT passive subs for virtually nothing. You can at least have some fun adding the amplifier. Apex Jr. sells amps. I can help with an input section if you don't have the controls you want.
HT: Sony KV-27FS13 | Oppo DV-981HD | Denon AVR-2807 | 7x Cambridge MC100 | Acoustic Research ARPR1010 || Stereo: Dynaudio Audience 42 | Hales Concept 3 prototypes | wouldn't you like to know... :)

Home PC: Yamaha RP-U100 | B&W LM-1 | Mpyre 65x || Work PC: Yamaha RP-U100 | QSC AD-S32T | Sony MDR-V600
Tarzann

Postby Tarzann » Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:55 pm

Thanks for the ideas. I checked them out, and the NHT neeeds a big box, and is 12 ohm, so it's no good.

I didn't bother to model the Apex 8's, I figure between the size drop from 12 to 8 and the excursion drop from 15mm to 5mm i'd need 5-6 of them to match the DVC12's output, so there goes box size and cost. They do look interesting though, gotta try one for a computer speaker sub. I wonder how they would compare to the Tang Band 6 1/2" sub. Hmmmm....

I also modeled the Brahma 10 and it looks terrible, especially on the bottom end, until you go with a bigger than 1 ft^3 ported with lots of power.

It looks like the 2 ft^3 sealed (or 20 Hz ported as well!) DVC 12 with 300 watts is an unbeatable combination when cost is a factor.
98 Contour

Clarion DRX-9255:Zapco SL-7:Phoenix Gold EQ-230 (soon to be Audio Control DQX I hope):dual PG mx3i's:PG Bass Cube : feeding 5 PG MPS-2240's and a MPS-2500: currently Vifa/MB Quart drivers, soon to be Adire Tumult 18 :Tempest 10 under dash:Extremis mids:FR125's
eezip

Postby eezip » Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:20 pm

The NHT box plans are for a dual, and if you cut the box in half it's only a bit more than 1CF. I didn't look at T/S params so maybe the box plans are for a poor which is poorly suited for the driver. 12 ohm shouldn't be that big of a deal since power is cheap and it shouldn't need much juice.

I have a pair of TB 6.5" and a pair of Adire SF7s. I've never used the SF7s but the TB 6.5"s were run for a couple of weeks. They were ridiculously loud for what they are; I couldn't believe it. If you can get them cheap, that's definitely a route I'd consider. I have a 65x but my lazy butt hasn't yet made a box for it so I unfortunately can't give you my impression of it.

I haven't heard te DVC12 so I don't know what kind of reference you have. Sorry I don't have any more concrete information for you.
HT: Sony KV-27FS13 | Oppo DV-981HD | Denon AVR-2807 | 7x Cambridge MC100 | Acoustic Research ARPR1010 || Stereo: Dynaudio Audience 42 | Hales Concept 3 prototypes | wouldn't you like to know... :)

Home PC: Yamaha RP-U100 | B&W LM-1 | Mpyre 65x || Work PC: Yamaha RP-U100 | QSC AD-S32T | Sony MDR-V600
moray james

new here....

Postby moray james » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:17 pm

Hi am new here and have been looking into the Ripole sub design (see link http://www.boxenselbstbau.de/hifi/index_en.htm?/hifi/aka_geh_en.htm). This would appear to be the smallest possible sub enclosure that can be made with a given driver. I am curious about using larger drivers in this type of design and would be interested in comments as to the necessary xmax of drivers in the size range of 15-18 inch in such dipole style designs. From a cost Vs performance point of view the Peerless SLS 12 would seem to be the best choice with the XXLS proving to be a better driver but at a huge cost penalty. The only possible options that I can see to get more output at equal or lower cost to the SLS 12 is to use multiple 6x9 or 8 drivers with car drivers promissin the needed Qts range above 0.6. Pro 15-18 inch drivers would also probably work but those with large xmax get very expensive. This gets us back to multiple SLS 12 units (say dual 12 cabinets at 2 cabinets per channel) if you want to keep the cost in line. Anybody here have any experience with 15 and 18 inch drivers in dipoles? What kind of xmax is needed with drivers of this size? Thanks and regards Moray James.

Return to “Home Audio/Video”