new design for an SE15

General discussion for all questions based in the home audio/video world.
kevox

new design for an SE15

Postby kevox » Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:54 pm

I'm not ready to start another box yet but I will build one in the next couple months. My current box is 4.85 cu/ft net tuned to 27hz (according to winisd) with 50 sq. inches of port and some bracing. I'm powering it with my Carvin CP900 - giving it 600w RMS. It sucks for pretty well everything - our little Xtant X 10" owns it on movies, comes real close to matching it in output on rap, and is about the same on hard rock (aka, weak). The Xtant is seeing 400w RMS in a 1.8 cu/ft net box with 19.56 sq. inches of port tuned to 30hz.

I'm almost positive the problem is way too much port area (I figured I would need a large port to move air @ 27hz and below without a lot of port noise, guess I was wrong!) so I'm thinkin' of goin with like 4.5 cu/ft net @ 30hz with 30 sq. inches of port next.

This is where you guys come in. Rather than just guess 4.5 net @ 30hz etc I'd like an actual design with some reasoning as to why it should be built that way. Any recommendations on what to do? I was thinking of going with dual 4" aeroports for this design.
3 nails + 1 cross = 4given
kevox

Postby kevox » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:05 pm

Come on, nobody has any suggestions?
phthisis

Postby phthisis » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:56 pm

Well I have a 12" SE in a 3 cube ported box tuned to 25 hz. Circle port not aero port. There is port noise but not enough to bother me into fixing it, as it is only temporary. I will say that it gets really loud. It shakes things in various rooms.
I know of someone else who uses a 15" SE. His box is 6 cubes tuned to 25hz.
It may depend all on the placement of the box in the room. How big is the room and how is the sub placed in the room? Is it just facing straight at you or what? Have you tried it in different spots?
Atomic Fusion

Postby Atomic Fusion » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:23 pm

phthisis wrote:...how is the sub placed in the room?

This is actually an important point... Try different placements in the room. I don't know the specs of the sub, but I can't see any reason you wouldn't have at least reasonable output, but if your listening position is in a room null with the sub in its current position, you will get poor performance with just about any subwoofer.

Adam
Found something better.
SIN's Freelance Female "Rear Entry" Super Hero
kevox

Postby kevox » Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:38 pm

I would guess that the room is about 8' high x 11' x 12'.

Currently the sub is firing into the corner of the room, about 3' away though. It used to be sittig in the corner just firing straight forward towards the opposite wall.

I could take some pics if it would help you guys figure out where it should be positioned?

Another reason I think this box sucks is cause my 600w RMS carvin amp can't seem to push the sub to full excursion for anything even on the loudest hip-hop music.
phthisis

Postby phthisis » Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:02 am

Pics are always nice. It would also be helpful to have a link to the manual of the carvin or at least some specs of the carvin amp. How is the amp hooked up? RCA inputs from a stereo or from a HT receiver? Is the sub wired in series or parallel? Also I would say try facing the sub straight up or placing it in the middle of the room against one wall facing the other wall.
kevox

Postby kevox » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:46 pm

Sorry I'm so late. Last couple of days internet has just sucked here and before that I forgot about this thread:(

Here are some pics of my room - please never mind the mess.
http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f205/kevox/random%20boxes/
We moved in 2 months ago and I haven't really taken the time to put away all the little things that I never use...... not to mention I have so many freaking sub boxes and subs that don't have a home and clearly take up a lot of space.

The SE15 is in the black vinyled box by the computer/bed if it matters. I'm sure thats a less than optimal location but thats just where I initially wired it up and I haven't moved it around at all yet.
phthisis

Postby phthisis » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:04 pm

The only place I can see putting the sub would be in the closet. Try it in the closet facing the wall that is away from the door of the room. That is basically how I have mine set up. If that doesn't work, the only other place I can see is where the dresser currently is. Definitely try the closet as the first option.
kevox

Postby kevox » Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:36 am

phthisis wrote:The only place I can see putting the sub would be in the closet. Try it in the closet facing the wall that is away from the door of the room. That is basically how I have mine set up. If that doesn't work, the only other place I can see is where the dresser currently is. Definitely try the closet as the first option.

Hmmm, that sounds like it has potential!! Those crappy low-end closet doors will rattle really bad but I'm gonna try it... Everything about these houses is crappy sound-wise.
phthisis

Postby phthisis » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:11 pm

Well you can always take the doors off. Let me know how it turns out.

Return to “Home Audio/Video”