new design for an SE15

General discussion for all questions based in the home audio/video world.
kevox

Postby kevox » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:45 pm

phthisis wrote:Well you can always take the doors off. Let me know how it turns out.

Ya I thought about that. Now I just need to take a closer look at them to see if they simply lift off or what. I will certainly let you know how it works out.
3 nails + 1 cross = 4given
kevox

Postby kevox » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:31 pm

I moved it into the closet today. Spent abunch of time cleaning up to make it fit too lol. It sounds a lot better throughout the room now and it's even dififcult to tell where the bass is coming from. It still isn't loud considering its a 15" but at least its way better than it was before:) thanks
KU40

Postby KU40 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:18 pm

nice little 2 pound weights you got there. doing some richard simmons-type stuff?

you never said what position the xtant was in when it sounded so much louder and better. is it off the floor, on the floor, facing the same way as the SE?
-Nick aka NS1 aka mopey aka speedbump
Alpine CDA-9827
Crossfire CFQ5.2
JL Audio XR 650csi components, Planet Audio TT2300
Crossfire VR404 on factory rear 6x8's until I get them upgraded
SI 15D2 + 3.8 @ 30 hz + Crossfire BMF 1000D = :)
kevox

Postby kevox » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:08 pm

KU40 wrote:nice little 2 pound weights you got there. doing some richard simmons-type stuff?

you never said what position the xtant was in when it sounded so much louder and better. is it off the floor, on the floor, facing the same way as the SE?

lol it's actually a 5lb weight:p Unless you mean the one on the floor? Which I used everyday for all of like 2 weeks. I'm so bad at sticking to a schedule when it comes to working out at home. Any suggestions?

BTW call me stupid but who is Richard Simmons? I've heard of him before but I haven't a clue who he is.

And regarding the Xtant. It was downfiring with about 2.5" clearance between itself and the floor.
KU40

Postby KU40 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:00 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Simmons

about the sub......it's possible the downfiring nature of the xtant is giving it an advantage. have you tried downfiring the SE? just prop it up on some of those weights or something. As others have mentioned and suggested, I'd say it's a placement issue rather than something wrong with the sub/box. Also, have you tried moving the box all the way against the corner rather than 3' away? I found my old radio shack 8" was loudest when it was literally almost touching the wall.
-Nick aka NS1 aka mopey aka speedbump

Alpine CDA-9827

Crossfire CFQ5.2

JL Audio XR 650csi components, Planet Audio TT2300

Crossfire VR404 on factory rear 6x8's until I get them upgraded

SI 15D2 + 3.8 @ 30 hz + Crossfire BMF 1000D = :)
kevox

Postby kevox » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:06 am

lol Simmons has quite the history:)

No, I hadn't tried pushing the box all the way up to the wall. I got lazy and hooked it up in that spot first thing when we moved into the house and there it stayed until I just moved it into the closet. It really does spread the bass through the room a lot better in the closet so I'm not gonna go reposition it again but I'm still convinced that the port area is my biggest problem here weighing in @ 50 sq. inches.

Then again I tried this box/sub in my Talon for a few weeks on only 180w RMS and it POUNDED!! I loved every second of it. It definitely outdid my SX18 now which has about 350w in 6-6.5 cu/ft net I'm estimating tuned to 35hz but then again the SE15 is tuned to 27hz so it's got that edge on the low end.....

But on the car topic. I'm to the point where I'm so unsatisfied with my SX18 due to its extreme lack of performance (I'm positive I could've made a quality 10" at least as loud as the 18" is now if not louder and saved myself a lot of hassle, but I realize the potential I have with this large fiberglass box so it's not all bad) that if my modded Zapco 1100.1 pushing 1100w+ doesn't give me a LOT more SPL then I have now, I'm probably gonna have to sell the sub and buy multiple smaller subs or something. I tried it on the Zapco @ 4ohms delivering about 800w RMS once and it was hardly any louder than it was on 350w so thats why I'm not so sure 1100w will do the trick. Its only got 70 sq. inches of port area and is tuned around 35hz so I don't see why it would be so bad but ya. I have 6 months and $350 invested in that box so I'm not going to keep the 18" if this is all I can get it to put out!
*end rant, sorry had to vent*

Return to “Home Audio/Video”