Pics of Finished Kit 261's by Jlaine's F.I.L.

General discussion for all questions based in the home audio/video world.
saxman

Pics of Finished Kit 261's by Jlaine's F.I.L.

Postby saxman » Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:38 pm

Thanks again to Josh's father-in-law for the immaculate craftsmanship on these. They fit in real nice with our new home. They aren't the best pictures as they are taken with our bulit in 2 m.p. camera on our camcorder. I had about 4 more pictures I wanted to upload but the stupid anti freedom of speech software they use at the library prevents everything from working smoothly. I can't wait to have internet at home again.

Close up of joint

Close up of trim joint at top

Fuzzy pic of upper half

Close up of trim joint at bottom

Terminals (will be using better speaker wire once I get a high-end amp/receiver)

Entire back side of enclosure

Close shot of speakers and joint

Maybe I'll get some better pictures someday. These should do for now.

By the way... they sound just as good as they look.
--m--

Postby --m-- » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:27 pm

saxman wrote: By the way... they sound just as good as they look.

Fuzzy?

:D:D:D They look damn fine.
Once you've hit rock bottom there's only one way to go....sideways
crazyray

Postby crazyray » Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:40 am

'sniff' I really like the molding and veneer. It takes me back to those old days before enclosures were made by the Chinese with shrink-wrapped plastic coatings...

In other words, I like 'em!
Big Mack

Postby Big Mack » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:07 pm

crazyray wrote:'sniff' I really like the molding and veneer. It takes me back to those old days before enclosures were made by the Chinese with shrink-wrapped plastic coatings...

In other words, I like 'em!

If it's a veneer...why don't all the sides look similar, and why is there an exposed wood edge? I think he actually finished them with clear, but I could be wrong...

Either way, they look good :)

Big Mack
Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

"I've got mail!! Yay!!" --Special Ed

Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

To my fallen brethren, you are NOT forgotten. To the usurpers of freedom, you are NOT forgiven!!
ballstothewall

Postby ballstothewall » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:43 pm

That dosen't look like veneer to me... ;)
westend

Postby westend » Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:12 am

[quote="ballstothewall"]That dosen't look like veneer to me... ]Good eyes. It's not, look at the grain of the wood at the corners . Very good craftsmanship, again. Now, tell us how they sound, again.:)
Pioneer 860, Soundstream 600-4, Directed 1100d, CDT IEK, CDT EF61CF, 2-IDQ-10's NoGOT-No gas on Thurs.

NDGeist

Postby NDGeist » Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:32 am

I'm thinking it's veneer, but not the really poor quality stuff that PE sells, it's not rotationally shaved, but rather it's a direct bisection of the log, more expensive but actually looks like wood when it's done. In the 5th picture you can see a seam line in the grain. It looks to me like some solid quarter round was used to join the front edges, and the back appears to be a solid piece perhaps.

They look phenominal, i'm impressed. Forget how they sound, i want pictures of how they went together.
Mis-spellers of the world, untie!
There are only 10 types of people in the world,
those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Derek

Postby Derek » Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:35 am

NDGeist wrote:I'm thinking it's veneer, but not the really poor quality stuff that PE sells, it's not rotationally shaved, but rather it's a direct bisection of the log, more expensive but actually looks like wood when it's done. In the 5th picture you can see a seam line in the grain. It looks to me like some solid quarter round was used to join the front edges, and the back appears to be a solid piece perhaps.

They look phenominal, i'm impressed. Forget how they sound, i want pictures of how they went together.

you should be impressed....dan does awesome work....with anything....bay windows....speakers.....etc :)
Here in death's dominion
Where even shadows die
I am the one almighty
You will cry my name
And when you seek forgiveness
You will see there is no god
And for all eternity
You will cry my name
X-OvrDistortion

Postby X-OvrDistortion » Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:45 pm

Well, I know that this is an "old" post but I just saw it.

I was actually there during some of the construction. I built the x-ovr's and installed them. :D

These things sounded amazing when we had them playing, outside. Yes, outside.

Dan does amazing work. He has done work for a few members on this forum, and we all love the work he does. He did my HT sub box, n0ph0's 641's, TL's 261's (iirc) and these that you see here. To top it all off, he is a good guy.

Brooks, what do you mean by a better receiver? Isn't the one that you have teh bawmb? :D
Derek

Postby Derek » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:04 pm

X-OvrDistortion wrote:Well, I know that this is an "old" post but I just saw it.

I was actually there during some of the construction. I built the x-ovr's and installed them. :D

These things sounded amazing when we had them playing, outside. Yes, outside.

Dan does amazing work. He has done work for a few members on this forum, and we all love the work he does. He did my HT sub box, n0ph0's 641's, TL's 261's (iirc) and these that you see here. To top it all off, he is a good guy.

Brooks, what do you mean by a better receiver? Isn't the one that you have teh bawmb? :D

this reminds me...i still have that marantz amp in my closet that is boxed up and waiting to be shipped to you.....thursday..i get paid...i'll send her out...
Here in death's dominion
Where even shadows die
I am the one almighty
You will cry my name
And when you seek forgiveness
You will see there is no god
And for all eternity
You will cry my name

Return to “Home Audio/Video”