homemade stereo USB audio DAC

General discussion for all questions based in the home audio/video world.
eezip

homemade stereo USB audio DAC

Postby eezip » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:40 pm

Hey guys. Just thought I'd show off a little project I did. I know this should probably be in the computer forum but that's virtually dead so I posted in here. It's a very simple stereo USB DAC. You can see from the pics that it's tiny - 1.315"x0.765". The large IC, a Burr-Brown PCM2702 most of the 'heavy lifting' of USB data transaction and DAC so there's no much left besides the one IC.

It's works by default under Windows, *nix, and Mac. Just plug it in and it becomes the default audio device and music starts flowing out of it. No drivers required. It sits right behind the computer with the USB A plug and isn't any longer than a DVI cable; since the miniplug jack faces towards the floor is the motherboard is vertical in the case, it takes up no additional space behind the computer.

I listened against a Emu 0404, M-Audio Revo 7.1, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, and SB Live! [sorry, it was there so I had to try!] and I think it sounds better than any of them. Dynamic range seems wider and it's far less muffled than the SB. It certainly pulls the veil off my regular computer system which is a Yamaha RP-U100 and B&W LM-1.

In the second picture the larger PCB in the back is the same basic design but with a more complicated [and unnecessary] power supply and larger components. They do the same thing but the packaging on the newer version is much improved. I meant to have the miniplug jack on the top of the PCB but I screwed up the footprint and had to put it on the top.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HT: Sony KV-27FS13 | Oppo DV-981HD | Denon AVR-2807 | 7x Cambridge MC100 | Acoustic Research ARPR1010 || Stereo: Dynaudio Audience 42 | Hales Concept 3 prototypes | wouldn't you like to know... :)

Home PC: Yamaha RP-U100 | B&W LM-1 | Mpyre 65x || Work PC: Yamaha RP-U100 | QSC AD-S32T | Sony MDR-V600
John

Postby John » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:44 pm

Cool stuff...so are you actually putting it to use at home?
vfootballphs

Postby vfootballphs » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:34 pm

I am VERY interested in this. Did you do the pcb and everything yourself or was it a kit, or what?
black00

Postby black00 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:36 pm

you amaze me sometimes evan
TL

Postby TL » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:18 pm

awesome.. :D
[unused]http://tl.soundillusions.net/subssig3.jpg[/unused]
eezip

Postby eezip » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:32 pm

John wrote:Cool stuff...so are you actually putting it to use at home?

Sure am. I listened it a bit through an Audio Research VS55 but I didn't have any better speakers than the LM-1s then. It was still impressive and makes me happy.

vfootballphs wrote:I am VERY interested in this. Did you do the pcb and everything yourself or was it a kit, or what?

Yep, I did it all myself :) I got several boards made so if you want one, I'm ok with it but I'm not sure that's allowed here. Mods??

black00 wrote:you amaze me sometimes evan

Me luvs Poobah :D

By the way Marshoo, is stuff like this ok? I was thinking about the State of CsO/SIN post and figured I might throw a post like this up here and see if that sparked some conversation.
HT: Sony KV-27FS13 | Oppo DV-981HD | Denon AVR-2807 | 7x Cambridge MC100 | Acoustic Research ARPR1010 || Stereo: Dynaudio Audience 42 | Hales Concept 3 prototypes | wouldn't you like to know... :)

Home PC: Yamaha RP-U100 | B&W LM-1 | Mpyre 65x || Work PC: Yamaha RP-U100 | QSC AD-S32T | Sony MDR-V600
John

Postby John » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:41 am

eezip wrote:Yep, I did it all myself :) I got several boards made so if you want one, I'm ok with it but I'm not sure that's allowed here. Mods??

I think it is, just get their okay...People have done it before, last one I remember was the voltmeters...
JimJ[VT]

Postby JimJ[VT] » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:27 pm

mmm, SMD...

I'm kneeling before Zod...I am not worthy...

Excellent work :D
93CougarXR7SE

Postby 93CougarXR7SE » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:55 am

So you started with a blank board and ended up with that? I'm impressed!

Any more process information on these? I'd like to make one, but they look quite intricate.
Benjamin 07/30/82 89 Ranger; '95 S10; '02 Ninja 250R, '99 Honda XR80; '90 Yamaha RT 100

Bedroom: Onkyo TX-SR605B powering DefTech ProCenter 2000 and pair BP6B, 2 Mirage Omni 350, PE amp pushing 12" eD B212.

Smooth move, FedEx!
eezip

Postby eezip » Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:23 am

Jim,

Thank you. The IC is SSOP package, so it's not bad if you have good soldering equipment and lots of flux. LQFP144 is where it gets tough!

Cougar,

Sorry to disappoint you, but I didn't make the board. I've made simpler boards myself but it's too difficult for an individual to get the equipment to make multilayer boards with 8mil traces, 25mil pad spacing [which this board is], solder mask, silkscreen, etc like on a professionally made PCB. The schematic was quite simple, and I layed out the PCB. Then I sent the board design out to be made by a board house. The blank PCB came back, I stuffed the parts, and then made sure it worked. After that I can sit back and listen :)

What kind of information would you like to know? This wasn't a terribly complex board, not compared to what I've almost finished this evening, anyway ;)

I'm not comfortable giving out the Gerber files [the files that tell a machine where the copper on the board goes], but I could have another set of boards made. I believe all the boards I had made the first time around are gone. Unfortunately, it's quite expensive to have boards made in small quantities and it doesn't get justifiable [IMO] until you get the quantity up to about 10. Then I can have them made for a decent price. So, if the mods say it's ok, and you get 9 friends who also want one, I can send out for another set of boards. Is there something else I can do for you?

Return to “Home Audio/Video”