Klipsch VS. Paradigm

General discussion for all questions based in the home audio/video world.
Shooter61

Klipsch VS. Paradigm

Postby Shooter61 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:09 pm

I recently picked up a pair of Pardigm Titans for my stereo at home and absolutly love them! I was wondering how they compare to the same prices Klipsch bookshelf ($250.00 MSRP) To my understanding Klipsh is also high end on the home audio side? Also to my understanding, Klipsch speakers are horn speakers and Paradigms are not so with the Klipschs your going to get a more loud in your face sound (SPL?) and with the Paradigms a sweeter and truer sound (SQ?) What do you guys think?
Thanks,
Ryan
Show before go, can't lose your license for being too loud

CDA-9851
KCA-420-i
30 GB iPod Video
Kicker SX700.4
CDT EF 6.1 comp *Rear*
CDT HD 5.25 Braxial *Front*
Rockford Fosgate P400.2
2 Massive Audio PW10's
mjmustang5

Postby mjmustang5 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:47 pm

My dad bough a paradigm setup about 7 years ago. he has the moniter 9, the smaller of the 2 center channels, a ps1000, and the atom bookshelf speakers. he also has his rear speakers in the ceiling, with the atoms wired as second set of fronts.
at the time he was debating between the two companies listed in the thread, but got the paradigms for his own reasons. i dont know what, i assume he liked the sound better.
but this setup kicks *** even for music. i have heard his 10" ps1000 pounding away from three houses down the street.
Shooter61

Postby Shooter61 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:51 pm

mjmustang5 wrote:My dad bough a paradigm setup about 7 years ago. he has the moniter 9, the smaller of the 2 center channels, a ps1000, and the atom bookshelf speakers. he also has his rear speakers in the ceiling, with the atoms wired as second set of fronts.
at the time he was debating between the two companies listed in the thread, but got the paradigms for his own reasons. i dont know what, i assume he liked the sound better.
but this setup kicks *** even for music. i have heard his 10" ps1000 pounding away from three houses down the street.

Yeah about that sub. I don't know if it's the same series but the guys next door from my dive shop at Hawkeye Audio have a 12" 600 watt RMS and 1500 watt peak "Ultra Cube" this sub rattles stuff off my walls. Sounds so good in person too.

CDA-9851
KCA-420-i
30 GB iPod Video
Kicker SX700.4
CDT EF 6.1 comp *Rear*
Rockford Fosgate P400.2
2 Massive Audio PW10's
eezip

Postby eezip » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:21 pm

I owned a full 7.1 channel Klipsch Synergy system a few years ago. I also had a pair of Paradigms, but I don't remember the model. They were a 6.5" 2-way.

The Klipsch speakers had a lot of bass. I didn't run a sub because in an apartment the towers had plenty of low end. For TV and movies, it was mostly just fine. Swords clashing could get a little bright, but it was fine. The bipolar [I think, but possibly dipolar] surrounds did a good job of enveloping you even though the room was poor for surround sound. With music, they were quite poor. The upper vocal region screamed at it didn't get any better. It sounded like the frequency response was a shallow smiley face. It made most vocalists seem thin and 'cupped' while the highs were overbearing. I wouldn't call them unlistenable, but they certainly didn't give a good account of themselves with music.

The Paradigms were good; not great, but good. I honestly can't recall enough to give them a fair shake, but I do remember them not getting terribly loud. They just didn't handle power real well. I'm not the only one who's felt like this about Paradigm speakers, but it doesn't mean they're all like that.

So, although I can't do much for you, I can offer that my general feeling would be that you got the right speakers and you should be happy :)

BTW, Klipsch is not high end. They may not make total bat crap, but their gear is far from high end. the Klipsch will make a nice speaker if you have lots of parties that are packed full of people, but a horn doesn't mean it will be loud or sound bad. Horns are often used to create additional HF output for live settings and reduce power compression, so they do have that reputation. But just like any given type of tweeter, that doesn't mean it will sound a certain way. Also, the 'horn sound' isn't mandatory for horn-loaded speakers. [plug=shameless]QSC, for instance, makes some surprisingly smooth horn speakers such as the ISIS series[/plug].
HT: Sony KV-27FS13 | Oppo DV-981HD | Denon AVR-2807 | 7x Cambridge MC100 | Acoustic Research ARPR1010 || Stereo: Dynaudio Audience 42 | Hales Concept 3 prototypes | wouldn't you like to know... :)

Home PC: Yamaha RP-U100 | B&W LM-1 | Mpyre 65x || Work PC: Yamaha RP-U100 | QSC AD-S32T | Sony MDR-V600
mjmustang5

Postby mjmustang5 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:42 am

Shooter61 wrote:Yeah about that sub. I don't know if it's the same series but the guys next door from my dive shop at Hawkeye Audio have a 12" 600 watt RMS and 1500 watt peak "Ultra Cube" this sub rattles stuff off my walls. Sounds so good in person too.

Its no the same, my dads has 200 watts RMS , and 750 watts peak. not really too much, but the BOX! Its in a bandpass box, and it just belts out the bass.get a bass heavy song, and crank the sub volume, and it rattles his house.
mjmustang5

Postby mjmustang5 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:49 am

[quote="eezip"]The Paradigms were good]

What ones did you have/listen to? My dad has the moniter 9, But they are older and have 2 midbass drivers. Now, i honestly dont know what you mean. They get loud, even though his sony reciever is only 80 watts RMS.

Sadly, however, one of the tweeters is blown :cwm19:.
eezip

Postby eezip » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:35 pm

mjmustang5 wrote:What ones did you have/listen to? My dad has the moniter 9, But they are older and have 2 midbass drivers. Now, i honestly dont know what you mean. They get loud, even though his sony reciever is only 80 watts RMS.

Sadly, however, one of the tweeters is blown :cwm19:.

Sorry, I don't remember the model of speakers. I also said my experience "doesn't mean they're all like that" so I wasn't talking about all Paradigm speakers. I wish I had more information but it was just too long ago. Sorry.
HT: Sony KV-27FS13 | Oppo DV-981HD | Denon AVR-2807 | 7x Cambridge MC100 | Acoustic Research ARPR1010 || Stereo: Dynaudio Audience 42 | Hales Concept 3 prototypes | wouldn't you like to know... :)

Home PC: Yamaha RP-U100 | B&W LM-1 | Mpyre 65x || Work PC: Yamaha RP-U100 | QSC AD-S32T | Sony MDR-V600
Mike S.

Postby Mike S. » Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:44 am

eezip wrote:I owned a full 7.1 channel Klipsch Synergy system a few years ago. I also had a pair of Paradigms, but I don't remember the model. They were a 6.5" 2-way.

The Klipsch speakers had a lot of bass. I didn't run a sub because in an apartment the towers had plenty of low end. For TV and movies, it was mostly just fine. Swords clashing could get a little bright, but it was fine. The bipolar [I think, but possibly dipolar] surrounds did a good job of enveloping you even though the room was poor for surround sound. With music, they were quite poor. The upper vocal region screamed at it didn't get any better. It sounded like the frequency response was a shallow smiley face. It made most vocalists seem thin and 'cupped' while the highs were overbearing. I wouldn't call them unlistenable, but they certainly didn't give a good account of themselves with music.

The Paradigms were good]QSC, for instance, makes some surprisingly smooth horn speakers such as the ISIS series[/plug].

Ol' man Klipsch made a decent sounding speaker for a good price. In regards to the Heritage line anyway. Khorn, Belle, LaScala, Cornwall, Heresy.
Of course, the lines are 50, 60 year old technology...but I don't think much has changed in speaker technology in the last 50 years, other than being able to suck down more power.
He went with cheaper driver brands, and then would have more stringent testing for said drivers. Brands like University, Stephens, Electro-voice, Atlas, Eminence, (CTC?) were used.
I think some of the first Klipschorns used a Western Electric driver.
Ol' Paul could sell a cheaper speaker by outsourcing drivers. Compared to JBL of the day, his speakers were cheap.

I've read that the Klipsch Flagship, RF-7 (Well, was...it's now RF-83 or sumthin') is rather bright for listening to music. I would take a big guess and say that the RF-7 is voiced for home theater, and to be used with a subwoofer.
Interesting that you come up with the same take on the 7.1 Synergy system.

I worked at the local AFB, and found a pair of '95 Klipsch Chorus II's. Legend series or whatever. 3-way, plastic tractix midhorn with a phenolic diaphragm driver, and the EV like tweeter...(K-79). 15 inch woofer, with 15 inch passive on the back.
My first impressions that they were PA speakers for the home, but I bought them anyway. And with the 440 watt Yamaha MX-1 amp and CX-1 pre-amp.

This was a bad match.

That Yamaha amp and pre-amp were awesome pieces, but sounded hard and cold through those Klipsch Chorus II's.
Hyper-detailed and loud however....very, very loud.
I measured 116 db 3 feet from the speaker once, I don't even think the amp was out of class A mode yet....the combination made too much fatigue.
I rebuilt the Chorus II x-overs with good decent components, it helped a bit. But the Yamaha amp hated the Klipsch, or the other way around.
The Chorus II's seemed hot on the top-end with tube amps as well.

I should have kept the amp and pre-amp, but like a fool I ditched the speakers and Yamaha gear.
I don't have good enough corners for the Chorus II's, being a rear passive radiator.
I ended up with 1983 oak Klipsch Cornwalls.
Cornwall had about a million variations over the years, these have the K-77 tweeter, Atlas K-51V driver for the midhorn, with the Eminence woofer.
The Cornwalls usually had Atlas K55V drivers. They didn't have a phase plug from what I understand, and the midhorn/driver had a nasty peak at 9 kHz. Most complain that the Cornwall has a hot shouty midrange. The K51V is kind of a rare beast, only used a year or two in the early eighties. It has a phase plug. I don't notice any peaks at 9 kHz with mine. It has a little better crossover design as well.
I swapped the Eminence woofers for some Fostex 15" L475 lab series woofers. They work pretty good in the Cornwall enclosure.

Hell, Ol' man Klipsch used motor run capacitors in his networks. He was cheap, but they did the job.
The Cornwalls are finicky about solid state amps as well. I have a NAD 2300 power envelope amp or whatever. The Cornwalls scream at you and tear your face off, no image, everything is smeared. Wretched. A old mid-seventies JVC integrated SS amp of lower power is way more tolerable.
They really sound good with a 2A3 SET amp.....in my smallish living room of course.
I listened to some Selenium (D405?) drivers with what looked like a sort of CD horn.
Those driver are monsters. They did well in nearfield with a 2A3 amp.....

That's my take on Klipsch I guess......blah..
eezip

Postby eezip » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:59 pm

Mike S. wrote:but I don't think much has changed in speaker technology in the last 50 years, other than being able to suck down more power.

You might be surprised, my friend.

It certainly sounds like we do agree on the sound. :) Thanks for reminding me of the amplifier, which I had completely forgotten. For HT I was using an Onkyo TX-SR600 and I also had an Adcom GFA-5400 and a QSC RMX850 on them. The Onkyo sounded the worst, as you might expect, but the speakers refused to be tamed regardless of amp.

BTW, I've heard that the newer speaker line sounds good from a guy who I trust to have at least decent ears. So check them if you like, or just stay home and enjoy your Paradigms :)

Shooter61

Postby Shooter61 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:53 pm

eezip wrote: or just stay home and enjoy your Paradigms :)

I think I'll do that:)

CDA-9851
KCA-420-i
30 GB iPod Video
Kicker SX700.4
CDT EF 6.1 comp *Rear*
Rockford Fosgate P400.2
2 Massive Audio PW10's

Return to “Home Audio/Video”