Klipsch VS. Paradigm

General discussion for all questions based in the home audio/video world.
JimJ[VT]

Postby JimJ[VT] » Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:24 am

I agree with Mike on this one :)

If you're a low-power dweeb, the older Klipsch lines are where it's at, short of a DIY project like backloaded horns. You just can't beat the efficiency. But that efficiency has tradeoffs, like a tiny background hum and being very sensitive to room placement.

If you have more "conventional" amplifiers, I'd probably go with the Paradigms.
--m--

Postby --m-- » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:25 pm

Heard a lot of different Paradigms. Liked them all. I have Athenas right now which I'm rather pleased with but they will be switched out in the future for something more high end.
Once you've hit rock bottom there's only one way to go....sideways
Mike S.

Postby Mike S. » Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:37 pm

Shooter61 wrote:I recently picked up a pair of Pardigm Titans for my stereo at home and absolutly love them! I was wondering how they compare to the same prices Klipsch bookshelf ($250.00 MSRP) To my understanding Klipsh is also high end on the home audio side? Also to my understanding, Klipsch speakers are horn speakers and Paradigms are not so with the Klipschs your going to get a more loud in your face sound (SPL?) and with the Paradigms a sweeter and truer sound (SQ?) What do you guys think?
Thanks,
Ryan

Here's the $250.00 MSRP Klipsch bookshelf speaker, the RB-10.

http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/rb-10.aspx

I dunno, doesn't seem much difference, a two-way bookshelf.
Klipsch has the aluminum or titanium tweeter with the little tractix horn, the Titan has a dome tweeter of some sort, (Titanium?) with the tweeter inset in kind of rounded concave. Kind of like a horn as well....
Both have around the same roll-off on the low-end, and the sensitivity ratings seem close.
Klipsch is 90 dB at 2.83 volts/1 meter. Paradigm is 89 db in room, 86 db anechoic. (Doesn't say measured distance.)

Enjoy the Titans. You could take the the Titans to a Klipsch dealer that has RB-10's and do a head to head comparsion if it's that big of a deal.....
People have different preferences in audio gear just like music.
Some like 2 channel vinyl, some like 2 channel CD, some like 7.1 DVD home theater. Some like DC arc welders for amps, some like 1/4 AC watt lightbulb amps, and the speakers that match up with them.
Some like grindcore, some like techno, some like classic, some like Jazz, and some like Norah Jones......poor bastards....:cwm19:

Just what is high-end as far as a speaker? TAD? GOTO? JBL top lines you can only get in Japan? TOTL Tannoy? Westminsters would be nice.....
The speaker food chain is pretty vast to me.......I just do the best with what I can afford....
The Unity horn is something that I always would like to hear......

I listened to a B&C 12CXT concentric the other day....wouldn't mind having a pair of those in the proper enclosures.
Shooter61

Postby Shooter61 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:50 pm

Mike S. wrote:Here's the $250.00 MSRP Klipsch bookshelf speaker, the RB-10.

http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/rb-10.aspx

I dunno, doesn't seem much difference, a two-way bookshelf.
Klipsch has the aluminum or titanium tweeter with the little tractix horn, the Titan has a dome tweeter of some sort, (Titanium?) with the tweeter inset in kind of rounded concave. Kind of like a horn as well....
Both have around the same roll-off on the low-end, and the sensitivity ratings seem close.
Klipsch is 90 dB at 2.83 volts/1 meter. Paradigm is 89 db in room, 86 db anechoic. (Doesn't say measured distance.)

Enjoy the Titans. You could take the the Titans to a Klipsch dealer that has RB-10's and do a head to head comparsion if it's that big of a deal.....
People have different preferences in audio gear just like music.
Some like 2 channel vinyl, some like 2 channel CD, some like 7.1 DVD home theater. Some like DC arc welders for amps, some like 1/4 AC watt lightbulb amps, and the speakers that match up with them.
Some like grindcore, some like techno, some like classic, some like Jazz, and some like Norah Jones......poor bastards....:cwm19:

Just what is high-end as far as a speaker? TAD? GOTO? JBL top lines you can only get in Japan? TOTL Tannoy? Westminsters would be nice.....
The speaker food chain is pretty vast to me.......I just do the best with what I can afford....
The Unity horn is something that I always would like to hear......

I listened to a B&C 12CXT concentric the other day....wouldn't mind having a pair of those in the proper enclosures.

I was out by Best Buy yesterday and swung in to look for a new Digital CD, didn't have to much luck.. anyway wandered back to the home theater district and checked out those Klipsch RB-10 and I must say the rock and in your face music sounded great, but then I put on the jazz selection and vocals and it was real harsh and chopped. Don't know if the vocals sounded so bad cause the speakers had been abused (which dosn't make sence either) of if i was a bad track but thats what I found when I listened to them.....
Show before go, can't lose your license for being too loud

CDA-9851
KCA-420-i
30 GB iPod Video
Kicker SX700.4
CDT EF 6.1 comp *Rear*
CDT HD 5.25 Braxial *Front*
Rockford Fosgate P400.2
2 Massive Audio PW10's
JimJ[VT]

Postby JimJ[VT] » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:45 pm

IMO, Klipsch designs in the past few years have been "Ehhh" at best, mediocre at worst. Doesn't surprise me that you heard what you did.
JordanBrown

Postby JordanBrown » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:00 am

Paradigm. Klipsch, like said above, has slowly began to make more mediocre speakers.

I like Monitor Audio too, for some reason.
martianpc

Postby martianpc » Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:32 am

I have a pair of the klipsch RF-52 towers, and While they arnt thousands of dollars, they sound AMAZING, they don't have tremendous low end but they still sound fantastic, I have heard klipsch rb series bookshelf speakers also, excellent sound, heard right next to some B&W's that were quite similar in size but twice the price, the Klipsch was better imho. They really sound fantastic on a a properly set up system.
martianpc

Postby martianpc » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:19 am

just got the RF-82's this week, they are amazing, absolutely amazing, here is a cool video of their excursion http://youtube.com/watch?v=NDrXYjWjC0s

Return to “Home Audio/Video”