Fraternity Basement Setup

General discussion for all questions based in the home audio/video world.
alpha

Postby alpha » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:25 am

i'm pretty sure the DIIIs and the D8s are both 4 ohm speakers?
but, the xls was stable down to 2 ohm stereo.

so...with two sets on each side, you get down to 2 ohms per channel and maximize the power. (same as atomic fusion said, just with different impedances).
with four sets, you'll either have a 1 ohm stereo load (bad) or a 4 ohm load...which isn't "bad" but you're robbing yourself of a decent amount of power.
Atomic Fusion

Postby Atomic Fusion » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:16 pm

alpha wrote:i'm pretty sure the DIIIs and the D8s are both 4 ohm speakers?
but, the xls was stable down to 2 ohm stereo.

so...with two sets on each side, you get down to 2 ohms per channel and maximize the power. (same as atomic fusion said, just with different impedances).
with four sets, you'll either have a 1 ohm stereo load (bad) or a 4 ohm load...which isn't "bad" but you're robbing yourself of a decent amount of power.

I don't think that amp is stable at 2 ohms stereo alpha... Not according to the specifications I have. There are few rack amps that can drive that load without problems. Parts Express publishes power outputs at 8 ohm stereo, 4 ohm stereo, and 8 ohm mono.

You might hands on knowledge that I don't that it will operate at that load, but I don't think it will create much additional power even at the lower impedance, assuming it could handle it at all.

EDIT: You're right about the MTM's being 4 ohms, though. That slipped my mind. However, I still stand behind my recomendation and I believe the results will be quite superior for what he wants to do.

Adam
Found something better.
SIN's Freelance Female "Rear Entry" Super Hero
bigpuss

Postby bigpuss » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:21 pm

Do you think the bass output will be sufficient?
Atomic Fusion

Postby Atomic Fusion » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:21 pm

bigpuss wrote:Do you think the bass output will be sufficient?

You're running subs, aren't you?

The speakers will do just fine on their own for bass, but they will have slightly less extension. The subs wil make that a moot point. The nice thing is that the high effeciency stuff will absolutely pump out the midbass, and when you combine that with decent subs, you get a REALLY fun, energizing experience. However, even on their own they would be pretty good.

Adam
Found something better.

bigpuss

Postby bigpuss » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:50 pm

Subs it is! Sounds like a great plan. Thanks guys and I will post more specifics when the time comes.
Atomic Fusion

Postby Atomic Fusion » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:40 am

Awesome!

When you talk to Wayne (if you do), tell him Adam, the trebuchet guy sent you.

Adam
Found something better.

Shooter61

Postby Shooter61 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:30 am

I was at a club in Iowa City and they had subs throughout the dancefloor. so you'd be dancin, move around a bit and in certain like 5X5 spots feel the beat.... so if you wanted to cut up the foundation you could do it that way.... but I don't think you want to do that..
Show before go, can't lose your license for being too loud

CDA-9851
KCA-420-i
30 GB iPod Video
Kicker SX700.4
CDT EF 6.1 comp *Rear*
CDT HD 5.25 Braxial *Front*
Rockford Fosgate P400.2
2 Massive Audio PW10's
bigpuss

Postby bigpuss » Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:35 pm

Ok guys, I'm going to need to order all this equipment in the next few days. Can anyone suggest a good 15" sub? I'm planning on running 2 of them vented and would like to keep it to no more than $400 per sub. Brahma??? As far as power goes I was looking at the BEHRINGER EP2500 from PE.
Atomic Fusion

Postby Atomic Fusion » Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:12 pm

bigpuss wrote:Ok guys, I'm going to need to order all this equipment in the next few days. Can anyone suggest a good 15" sub? I'm planning on running 2 of them vented and would like to keep it to no more than $400 per sub. Brahma??? As far as power goes I was looking at the BEHRINGER EP2500 from PE.

If you want extreme output at the sacrifice of some LF extension, try two Eminence Magnum LF 15's... That'll give you that super intense, chest pounding experience... If you want more of the LF extension and don't mind sacrificing a bit of output, you might have good luck running four Eminence LAB12's... Both of these drivers are available through Parts Express as well..

I'll tell you right now that the twin Magnum setup would blow your brains out, providing you tune properly (mid to high 30's for tuning). That would definitely be an awesome experience, and I think I would recommend that.

If you really want that deep bass, the quad 12's will give you the extension, a good amount of displacement and using four drivers will get effeciency up a bit more. Tune in the low 30's. They're 6 ohm so you won't get max power out of the amp, but you'll still get a good 1800-2000 watts, which is plenty.

If you want maximum output, cluster all subwoofers together in one location. If you want more uniform bass response throughout the whole room (rather than loud spots and nulls, depending on wher eyou are in the room) then place subs on opposing walls or in opposing corners.

Adam
Found something better.

bigpuss

Postby bigpuss » Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:01 pm

Does anyone have any thoughts on the BEHRINGER EP2500?

Return to “Home Audio/Video”