Car stereo in a box?

General discussion for all questions based in the home audio/video world.
mjmustang5

Car stereo in a box?

Postby mjmustang5 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:14 am

I thought of a project; take a car head unit and put it in a wood box with a pair of component speakers in seperate, sealed compartments; along with a small sub, maybe 6.5", off the rear speakers on the radio (a pioneer radio will do this) and wire it like that. is this possible, if so, how do i wire and power this?
bassman07

Postby bassman07 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:15 am

mjmustang5 wrote:I thought of a project; take a car head unit and put it in a wood box with a pair of component speakers in seperate, sealed compartments; along with a small sub, maybe 6.5", off the rear speakers on the radio (a pioneer radio will do this) and wire it like that. is this possible, if so, how do i wire and power this?

that sub will play only high bass. i would wire the sub on the rear channels bridged. then i would run the 2 speakers offf the front channels run in normal radio wiring., nothing fancy. thats about all you can do for that w/o adding an amplifer. an amp will be your best bet. now, the power and cround. what you plan on doing about that? possibly keeping an optima in the box maybe? with a outlet for charging??? that would be kool, just five us some more information on what exactly you are trying to accomplish with this manouver, is it just a radio and speakers display? i have one like that in my chop, its a deck and 4 spakers with a 10 inch subwoofer dwon in the bottom. its a marince radio display. its really kool and its all powered by a kenwood waterproof headunit and a clarion water resistant amplifier! pm me if you want a more indepth blueprint of what you might need to do! glad i could help.
PM for box help!
bassman07

Postby bassman07 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:17 am

forgot you said components, now we have a problem. if you wanna run a sub you will probaly neec an amplifier! just go that route and hide the amp on the inside of the subwoofer compartment. that would be your best bet, it will be similar to my radio dispaly but just wont wang as hard!
PM for box help!
JimJ[VT]

Postby JimJ[VT] » Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:38 am

You could add a four-channel amp, and bridge the rears to run a decent-sized sub...run everything off of a SLA battery on a trickle charger.

But unless you've already got all the parts lying around for this, I'd pass. You're just going to end up with a glorified boombox, and it'd be cheaper buying one of those than assembling all the car audio stuff to do it. That being said, if you have this stuff sitting around, it'd be a cool way to put it to use.
mjmustang5

Postby mjmustang5 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:18 pm

i thought of a regulated 12 volt power supply, and yes, a 4 channel amp, mounted inside. and yes, it will be a glorified boombox :). i thought it would be a cool thing for a garage, small bedroom, or dormroom, or even an appartment. Plus, it would be way better than a boombox.
mjmustang5

Postby mjmustang5 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:25 pm

Here:
  1. Radio
  2. Sub
  3. Speakers
Now i dont need an amp.
mjmustang5

Postby mjmustang5 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:27 pm

oh, and here:

Power Supply
bassman07

Postby bassman07 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:34 pm

pretty expensive cheap project if you ask me...
PM for box help!
mjmustang5

Postby mjmustang5 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:25 pm

well thanks

Return to “Home Audio/Video”