parts of my ht

General discussion for all questions based in the home audio/video world.
shaggy

parts of my ht

Postby shaggy » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:45 am

KU40

Postby KU40 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:49 am

is that 4 tweeters and a 12"? is that really bright? and do those tweets play pretty low midrange?
-Nick aka NS1 aka mopey aka speedbump
Alpine CDA-9827
Crossfire CFQ5.2
JL Audio XR 650csi components, Planet Audio TT2300
Crossfire VR404 on factory rear 6x8's until I get them upgraded
SI 15D2 + 3.8 @ 30 hz + Crossfire BMF 1000D = :)
JimJ[VT]

Postby JimJ[VT] » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:59 am

I'd imagine you'd have phase issues like woah...with those tweets seperated that far from each other. How does it sound?
shaggy

Postby shaggy » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:24 pm

It is four 1" silk domes and a pro audio 12".

they are brighter but not in a bad way, they never get sharp or sound siblent(sp).
The tweeeters as far as I can tell are crossed over lower on the bottom then on the top.

Image is spot on, but not exact on some notes. Phase is not a problem as far as I can tell. they are detailed and open sounding, even while getting very loud.
low end extension is great and i think thats do to the small room i have them in currently.

I guess for the $25 I paid for each one they do way better than I expected.
I bought 4 of them in hopes of using them for shop speakers, but i decided 3 will eventually be in my ht as a LCR and one will be used for parts if something fails.

They were originally designed to be areana speakers and came out of a old areana about 30 years ago, I bought them from the guy who salvaged them when they were replaced.

I sould have more pics latter tonight.
Atomic Fusion

Postby Atomic Fusion » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:06 pm

shaggy wrote:It is four 1" silk domes and a pro audio 12".

they are brighter but not in a bad way, they never get sharp or sound siblent(sp).
The tweeeters as far as I can tell are crossed over lower on the bottom then on the top.

Image is spot on, but not exact on some notes. Phase is not a problem as far as I can tell. they are detailed and open sounding, even while getting very loud.
low end extension is great and i think thats do to the small room i have them in currently.

I guess for the $25 I paid for each one they do way better than I expected.
I bought 4 of them in hopes of using them for shop speakers, but i decided 3 will eventually be in my ht as a LCR and one will be used for parts if something fails.

They were originally designed to be areana speakers and came out of a old areana about 30 years ago, I bought them from the guy who salvaged them when they were replaced.

I sould have more pics latter tonight.

There are definitely phase issues with that design, and if you measured it you'd be pretty horrified by what you saw.

But hey... They were cheap and you enjoy them, so it's all good.

Adam
Found something better.
SIN's Freelance Female "Rear Entry" Super Hero
shaggy

Postby shaggy » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:08 pm

I will not measure them because ignorance is bliss:cwm21:, one thing about them, they have a huge sweet spot.

speaking of measuring, does anyone know of a good mic for the old termlab system to use it for RTA work. I have a spl mic that i havent even tried to rta with because i dont think it will work right full range. Joshie since I got it from you do you have any suggestions?
JimJ[VT]

Postby JimJ[VT] » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:12 pm

one thing about them, they have a huge sweet spot.

So do bipoles, but the tradeoff is loss of a well-defined center :D

Behringer makes their ECM-8000 measurement mic...but I thought the upgrade for the TL was software, not hardware, to get it to function as an RTA...a $250 patch.

Return to “Home Audio/Video”