HDMI cables

General discussion for all questions based in the home audio/video world.
eezip

HDMI cables

Postby eezip » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:47 pm

There's no way I'm buying MC cable at ridiculous $120/6 ft. I know I used to some some good cable companies but a quick Google search hasn't jogged my memory. What cables do you guys have, what do you think of them, and what companies would you suggest checking out? Thanks!
HT: Sony KV-27FS13 | Oppo DV-981HD | Denon AVR-2807 | 7x Cambridge MC100 | Acoustic Research ARPR1010 || Stereo: Dynaudio Audience 42 | Hales Concept 3 prototypes | wouldn't you like to know... :)

Home PC: Yamaha RP-U100 | B&W LM-1 | Mpyre 65x || Work PC: Yamaha RP-U100 | QSC AD-S32T | Sony MDR-V600
Derek

Postby Derek » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:50 pm

i got mine free with my samsung player.....

it's a digital signal......so is their really a need for super dee duper cable?

nah.
Here in death's dominion
Where even shadows die
I am the one almighty
You will cry my name
And when you seek forgiveness
You will see there is no god
And for all eternity
You will cry my name
eezip

Postby eezip » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:20 am

Exactly, that's why I'm asking for suggestions of cheap and good HDMI cables. I found http://www.bettercables.com and http://www.bluejeanscable.com, but I haven't heard any opinions of these companies.

It's a myth that digital is all or nothing. Depending on error correction, you can lose information in a cable and still get signal on the other side. So it can be, but doesn't have to be, all or nothing with digital :)
HT: Sony KV-27FS13 | Oppo DV-981HD | Denon AVR-2807 | 7x Cambridge MC100 | Acoustic Research ARPR1010 || Stereo: Dynaudio Audience 42 | Hales Concept 3 prototypes | wouldn't you like to know... :)

Home PC: Yamaha RP-U100 | B&W LM-1 | Mpyre 65x || Work PC: Yamaha RP-U100 | QSC AD-S32T | Sony MDR-V600
Derek

Postby Derek » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:13 pm

i haven't looked for them at PE....but they might have something...
Here in death's dominion
Where even shadows die
I am the one almighty
You will cry my name
And when you seek forgiveness
You will see there is no god
And for all eternity
You will cry my name
Hobbes26

Postby Hobbes26 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:14 pm

I remember seeing some pretty cheap cables at Costco made by a brand name; about $40CDN for 6'. It's probably not a regular item though.

I got my HDMI cable at a local electronics store that specializes in cables. They didn't make it and I don't know what brand this one is, but the connectors didn't look cheap and it works fine for me.
eezip

Postby eezip » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:13 pm

Oppo recommended getting cables from monoprice.com. Their prices are dang cheap and it stands to reason that's where Oppo gets their cables from. I figure I'll wait for my player to come in and if the cable looks decent buy one from monoprice. Thanks guys!

phthisis

Postby phthisis » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:25 am

There was a test done on different cables for transmission of the data. The only results were that monster cables were slightly worse than the cheapest brand. The only place where the cables would make a difference would be if the distance the cables are being run is over 20ft. I personally use the cheaper cables for my HT. I can't tell a difference between different cables on a 92" screen. But then again I also prefer DVI over HDMI ( I like my audio to be a separate cable).
haydenlake

Postby haydenlake » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:06 am

I've had good luck with knukoncepz products. I don't have any of their HDMI cables but everything else I've ordered from them was great. 50 bones per pair if I recall.

I would agree that it is very unlikely that you'll see any difference in digital cables.
JordanBrown

Postby JordanBrown » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:49 am

my brother bought some hdmi cables from here before:

http://www.pacificcable.com/HDMI_Cables.html

I believe he got the 15 meter to go from his splitter in his living room to his LCD in his kitchen. Sweet setup :) seems like their smaller cables aren't cheap, but the bigger you go the more you save?

There was one other place I can't think of the website off the top of my head, selling cables for real cheap.
JordanBrown

Postby JordanBrown » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:52 am

nevermind this is what it was.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/department.asp?c_id=102

and now that I think about it, my brother bought a splitter from Pacific cables and the cable from monoprice. their prices are better at monoprice, but they get a ton of orders because of it. Read the top of the page, they are delaying putting orders through because of all of the orders apparently.

Return to “Home Audio/Video”