HT Plans..

General discussion for all questions based in the home audio/video world.
Big Mack

Postby Big Mack » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:59 am

TL wrote:No doubt.. although I can't imagine it's much worse than a loaded refrigerator..

Ah, but who suspends a fridgemator from the ceiling? ;)

If it were me, I'd build ties to the rafters, then put a full platform above it that attaches to no fewer than 3, preferably 4 of them. That's a pretty hefty projector. Betcha shipping was about $200 (or more). That's a definite ouch...:cwm20:

But, the sacrifice will all be worth it once you can have it all done :)

Please tell me that you're going with a standalone control system like a Pronto. Crestron is nice, but hella expensive.

Big Mack
Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

"I've got mail!! Yay!!" --Special Ed

Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

To my fallen brethren, you are NOT forgotten. To the usurpers of freedom, you are NOT forgiven!!
TL

Postby TL » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:09 pm

lol, yeah.. the way it'll be oriented, the load will be spread across 4 2x12's that only span 12'.. so we should be good :)

Automation stuff will come later.. no budget for it now.. I'm using my DTV receiver to upscale my DVD player to 1080i.. looks pretty good.. I'll have to wait till I make a screen to do any real critical watching & decide if I want to jump to a stand-alone scaler..
[unused]http://tl.soundillusions.net/subssig3.jpg[/unused]
Big Mack

Postby Big Mack » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:29 pm

TL wrote:I'm using my DTV receiver to upscale my DVD player to 1080i.. looks pretty good.. I'll have to wait till I make a screen to do any real critical watching & decide if I want to jump to a stand-alone scaler..

Have you thought about getting a better DVD player that will keep it all in the digital domain prior to sending it out of a cable?? I know of a couple units that can scale all the way up to 1080P, believe it or not (I own one) and it's not insanely expensive. How does under $300 sound? ;)

Big Mack
Jakezor

Postby Jakezor » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:07 pm

htpc running dscaler ;)
TL

Postby TL » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:50 pm

well from all the reports I've seen on the G70, interlaced is sharper.. and I'd buy a HDMI input card, but they're $385 for the one with the gamma correction circuit..

So the input I have to work with is the YPbPr/RGBHV analog on the PJ.. Some people have said they prefer 720p for DVD playback & SDTV, and HDTV at whatever the signal is natively..

Jakey, I've got an old IBM rack mount server case I got from work to start building an HTPC.. but I really need to build a screen first... :)
[unused]http://tl.soundillusions.net/subssig3.jpg[/unused]
X-OvrDistortion

Postby X-OvrDistortion » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:13 pm

It is going to suck. Your speakers will sound like crap too. :)
NDGeist

Postby NDGeist » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:42 pm

if looking for a new dvd player, you absolutely can't do better than the Oppo 971. Perhaps if you spend a rediculous amount of cash, and even then, probably not.
Mis-spellers of the world, untie!
There are only 10 types of people in the world,
those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Big Mack

Postby Big Mack » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:36 pm

NDGeist wrote:if looking for a new dvd player, you absolutely can't do better than the Oppo 971. Perhaps if you spend a rediculous amount of cash, and even then, probably not.

I don't know, the H4000 from Helio delivers an absolutely stunning picture, and it's not a ridiculous amount of cash (cheaper than the Oppo). ;)

Oh, and it will output up to 1080P, not just 1080I -- from both the HDMI and the component video outs. Also has the RGBHV outputs, unlike the Oppo, for the record :)

Big Mack

Return to “Home Audio/Video”