Looking for a high quality turntable

General discussion for all questions based in the home audio/video world.
todd.brust

Looking for a high quality turntable

Postby todd.brust » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:23 am

I am looking to get a good direct drive turntable....i am looking at older models from the late 70sish.....i have looked at some kenwoods. pioneers and a brand called bang and olusfen...anyone know anything about the quality of their products?
There he goes, one of god's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live... too rare to die.

Novus Ordo Seclorum, The New Forum
JimJ[VT]

Postby JimJ[VT] » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:20 am

For direct drives, there's really only one model to look at...the Technics SL-1200MK2 :)

Pair it with a high output MC cartridge and you're good to go. It's built like a tank, and if anything does break parts are dirt cheap and they're all available online.

Still kinda regretting I sold mine...but it was on to bigger and better things :D
John

Postby John » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:01 am

I was going to suggest technics...I don't know about older, but as for newer ones I had a stanton (iirc direct drive) that I loved, but sold...
JimJ[VT]

Postby JimJ[VT] » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:19 am

Denon also made some worthwhile direct drives, but a lot of them were automatic or semi-automatic (ugh!) :)

The Technics comes in a lot of versions today, but the MK2 is the earliest still in production and the best one for hi fi.
Atomic Fusion

Postby Atomic Fusion » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:15 am

Yeah I was gonna suggest the Tech 1200 as well....

Adam
Found something better.
SIN's Freelance Female "Rear Entry" Super Hero
Speakerboy

Postby Speakerboy » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:42 pm

todd.brust wrote:i have looked at some kenwoods. pioneers and a brand called bang and olusfen...anyone know anything about the quality of their products?

Bang and Olufsen = high priced semi good stuff that costs too much because of image

They have been around for a while and they have some stores in high end malls. Nice stuff that cost waaaay too much. Go with the Technics table. Industry standard, and all of the DJ's use them, so parts are everywhere.
If I were a gangster, my name would be "Jimmy the Gimp".
John

Postby John » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:45 pm

You're thinking new though, "all of the DJ's use them" . . .

If you're going new, I haven't done too much shopping in the past couple years, but I actually like some of the newer Stanton equipment over Technics...
todd.brust

Postby todd.brust » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:46 am

yeah i was checking out the stantons and i found some really good prices on some factory refurbished ones....that is what i think i am going to go with
There he goes, one of god's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live... too rare to die.

Novus Ordo Seclorum, The New Forum
95Honda

Postby 95Honda » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:05 pm

Check out "Jerry Raskins Needle Doctor" can't remember the site address. we used to ship them stuff all the time back in the day, they used to have gobs of analog gear.... Look for an older Thorens or the like.... Also, you can get good deals used on gear from well tempered, Kyrocea etc.... On places like Audiogon....
http://www.forceaudio.com

Marshall asked me how much it would be to fly to Idaho....
JimJ[VT]

Postby JimJ[VT] » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:55 pm

http://www.theneedledoctor.com

It's my favorite place to buy cartridges :) Excellent customer support.

Return to “Home Audio/Video”