Echo Concerns

General discussion for all questions based in the home audio/video world.
John

Echo Concerns

Postby John » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:43 am

I have a nice basement room, I would like to use for a sort of small theater, but I'm concerned because it's cement...Cement floor and walls, which gives it a minor echo effect that you can hear just speaking loudly.
I was originally going to drywall and carpet it, but I'm concerned about slow moisture build up over time (going to give it some time and observe)...So now I'm thinking fill in the cinder block grooves, repaint, and throw down an area rug...While I think it'll be great for bass, I'm still concerned with the echo though for the higher areas. D

oes anybody have recommendations for minor adjustments I can make. One idea, was shortening the room by putting up some type of structure, like a large bookshelf, to separate the excess (rear) area of the room.
NDGeist

Postby NDGeist » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:03 am

My suggestion would be to create some 2' x 4' frames, 4" deep with 1x4's, and fill the center with a couple pieces of Owens corning 705. Then cover said frame with open weave fabric of your choosing (some basic cotton t-shirt material would work great).

In the end, you'll spend $50 for a product similar to the minitrap linked here:
http://www.realtraps.com/products.htm
Mis-spellers of the world, untie!
There are only 10 types of people in the world,
those who understand binary, and those who don't.
CBFryman

Postby CBFryman » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:31 am

Like they have in the movie theatres... :)
John

Postby John » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:51 pm

Sounds like a good idea, one of the immediate things I had thought of was putting the eggcrate foam on the ceiling.
CBFryman

Postby CBFryman » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:52 pm

You could bend a bunch of 2x3 plywood boards into semi circles and make the ceiling like the walls of ''anecho'' cambers.
Speakerboy

Postby Speakerboy » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:58 pm

I read once in Audio Express (formerly Speakerbuilder), that the optimal thing was to dampen the room immediately around the speakers to limit early reflections, and leave the room live behind you. I don't know if this only applies to large areas where the delay would be much greater than in you basement.
If I were a gangster, my name would be "Jimmy the Gimp".
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:47 pm

CBFryman wrote:You could bend a bunch of 2x3 plywood boards into semi circles and make the ceiling like the walls of ''anecho'' cambers.

there's a product called bendy ply (sp?) that'd be perfect for this. Any place that makes furniture should have it. They use it a lot at the sculpture dept in my school.
TommyTheCat

Postby TommyTheCat » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:42 pm

I would go with the "live end, dead end" way of thinking to keep cost down (what Speakerboy is getting at).

I'd only carpet the floor, and then build absorbtion into the front(speaker side) wall and only slighty absorb past the speakers on the side walls - leaving the ceiling and rear walls uncovered. If you can, experiment with ceiling absorption/diffusion after that.

I would also not urge you to look too far into it - people are going to urge to to buy/build bass traps and all sorts of ****.
John

Postby John » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:31 pm

I've got lot of time to plan/work on this, room is sitting pretty much empty. I've got to haul a large set of 3 way's or at least a sub to start with and make some observations....
KU40

Postby KU40 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:37 pm

maybe go to micky D's or the like and ask for like 400 of those cup holders, ala Hustle and Flow.
-Nick aka NS1 aka mopey aka speedbump
Alpine CDA-9827
Crossfire CFQ5.2
JL Audio XR 650csi components, Planet Audio TT2300
Crossfire VR404 on factory rear 6x8's until I get them upgraded
SI 15D2 + 3.8 @ 30 hz + Crossfire BMF 1000D = :)

Return to “Home Audio/Video”