sensor to automatically turn stereo on in-home?

General discussion for all questions based in the home audio/video world.
kevox

sensor to automatically turn stereo on in-home?

Postby kevox » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:39 pm

So I just got the idea that it'd be sweet if I had a small stereo in the bathroom that would automatically turn on anytime the door opened...then I got to further thinking, it'd be quite simple wouldn't it?

I mean couldn't I setup a simple sensor that would mount somewhere in the room to detect movement and when it detected such it could trigger a switch that would turn the receiver on and therefore start up the stereo? lol It'd be cool if possible without a great big elaborate setup....
3 nails + 1 cross = 4given
John

Postby John » Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:03 pm

Simple, but does the receiver (whatever unit you might be using) automatically play when it is turned on?

If it were something like the radio, it would work, but a cd or other source may be a little more complicated.
John

Postby John » Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:20 pm

Edit, damn, lost most of my post, here it goes again...

You could hook it up to a light sensor, motion, door action, switch, etc...

Regardless, I think it's a dumb idea...

If you're in there for awhile, triple s & etc, it would be worth it, fine, whatever...but if you just walk in for a quick squirt and shake you'll get to listen to a freagment of whatever, which is kind of a waste in the long run considering the work you'd put in, not to mention electricity...plus who wants to listen to that small amount.

Also, think of the humidity and moisture, not the best in combination with electronics, spekaers, and what have you...

Anyone else had issues with the quick reply, or replying in general, using firefox? ...like a huge delay or lack of response?
Big Mack

Postby Big Mack » Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:27 pm

John wrote:Also, think of the humidity and moisture, not the best in combination with electronics, spekaers, and what have you...

I've had a radio in my bathroom for years. No issues, but it's like a 20 year old boombox. It's just for some noise while I shower, and the morning radio show is on, so it gets me moving. That said, I agree with you on the idea of a motion sensor. It's a waste of time. If you want it on, leave a remote near the door.

John wrote:Anyone else had issues with the quick reply, or replying in general, using firefox? ...like a huge delay or lack of response?

Nope. I use Firefox all the time, no issue. I have had major issues with Internet Exploder when I log in at work. Sometimes I have to refresh 2 or 3 times in order for it to not come up all gobbledygook.

Big Mack
Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

"I've got mail!! Yay!!" --Special Ed

Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

To my fallen brethren, you are NOT forgotten. To the usurpers of freedom, you are NOT forgiven!!
VietPho

Postby VietPho » Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:35 pm

I've tried putting a boombox in the shower before and it sounded like **** when I shower. Music in a small showerroom doesn't sound good ><
John

Postby John » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:00 pm

I was going to correct my spelling and mention that this should be in the home a/v section.

Then again, we don't want to offend anyone, there are some people here that do live in mobile homes.
kevox

Postby kevox » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:30 pm

John wrote:I was going to correct my spelling and mention that this should be in the home a/v section.

Then again, we don't want to offend anyone, there are some people here that do live in mobile homes.

*slaps self* oops, I donno why I didn't think to put it there....mods feel free to move it there!
3 nails + 1 cross = 4given
X-OvrDistortion

Postby X-OvrDistortion » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:33 pm

Done.
Atomic Fusion

Postby Atomic Fusion » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:15 pm

I think it's a goofy idea as well, sorry...

I wouldn't want music and noise arbitrarily starting up whenever I enter a room. A simple keypad system would allow me to select sources and volume when and how I pleased... But... They've already invented that.

Adam
Found something better.
SIN's Freelance Female "Rear Entry" Super Hero
KU40

Postby KU40 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:23 pm

I think it would be kinda cool (mostly just because I like sensors like that), but a bit frivolous.

hmm...... maybe I'll wire up my whole house so that I have music following me everywhere I go. Sensors every 2 feet in the hallway plugged into different amps and speakers located every few feet, so that the sound basically walks or travels with me. coooooool.

too bad my hallway is only like.....6 feet long. haha. maybe someday I'll build a house with like a 100 foot long hallway and just run back and forth, trying to mess it up or get ahead of it or something. see if I'm faster than electricity :). oh boy I'm out of my mind.
-Nick aka NS1 aka mopey aka speedbump
Alpine CDA-9827
Crossfire CFQ5.2
JL Audio XR 650csi components, Planet Audio TT2300
Crossfire VR404 on factory rear 6x8's until I get them upgraded
SI 15D2 + 3.8 @ 30 hz + Crossfire BMF 1000D = :)

Return to “Home Audio/Video”