Help me pick driver(s) for a bass cab

General discussion for all questions based in the home audio/video world.
flak_monkey

Help me pick driver(s) for a bass cab

Postby flak_monkey » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:21 pm

Now that the tempests are going to be gone before I can get any money to do a bass cab with them, I want to know what to get. once I make a decision, I will pick the mids and tweeter or just tweeter, depends.

Should fit in an enclosure no larger than 7cu ft, I'd prefer below 5 cubic feet.
Must be a fast woofer with great low frequency response (no PA drivers please)
I am willing to have two or more twelves, two fifteens, or one eighteen and would like to spend $200 maybe more on woofers
Woofer(s) must model out to give considerable output in whatever enclosure at 20hz with about 800-1000w RMS at 2 ohms

I was thinking two Dayton DVC 12's in a 6.5 cu ft box to 21hz, but I'd like woofers that'll do well in a smaller box than that, ideally.

I'm open to less typical enclosure designs if it'll save space while giving better output down deep.

The point of the woofer is to be able to keep up with fast bass playing without sounding sloppy AND be able to reach low B (28hz) with effects applied, so that might be even lower, without reaching xmax.

Chris
95Honda

Postby 95Honda » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:11 pm

Hmmmm....

I have built a few bass cabs using non PA type woofers before.... Beleive it or not, some of the best subs I used were some of the original Pyramid super pros (4x10 cab with a horn).... They were from 10+ years ago and were well built, huge motors, huge voicecoils and a surprising amount of xmax..... They worked good...

I always also felt that with regular PA woofers, you really don't get that bottom end, and the PA woofers that will do it cost way to much....

I'm going to think about this one for a while and what is avalible right now....
http://www.forceaudio.com

Marshall asked me how much it would be to fly to Idaho....
Atomic Fusion

Postby Atomic Fusion » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:56 pm

I believe your demands are unreasonable in relation to your budget.
Found something better.
SIN's Freelance Female "Rear Entry" Super Hero
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:01 am

Atomic Fusion wrote:I believe your demands are unreasonable in relation to your budget.

Really? Well I think that $300, $350 tops is alright. Do you think that the DVC's will work? They are on sale!
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:30 pm

Nobody loves me.
Atomic Fusion

Postby Atomic Fusion » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:15 am

The Dayton DVC 15's as a pair would be a fine choice, except they don't fit your enclosure parameters. You're looking 4-5 cuft ported minimum per driver.

A single DVC 15" performs well in a ported enclosure within your size limitations and has quite good output. I'm not entirely sure the raw SPL you want, but I do know that a single DVC in a good ported box really does perform very nicely.

If you want what could be described as an exceptional SPL level from a compact cabinet, you're moving beyond your budget restraints into something from TC Sounds or similar.

The Dayton DVC's are very, very similar to the Tempests in most ways... They are very good drivers. I was quite pleased with them and the downfiring DVC 15" I built in about a 5 cuft ported enclosure really rocked the house. However, I found that 250 watts wasn't enough to get it going well, so a bigger amp than that may be in order.

I would not tune quite so low as you will sacrifice a lot of output for limited gain. You need serious displacement and box volume to really get the best out of that 20'ish Hz tuning. For a compact but punchy design, stick with tuning around 28 Hz.

Sorry for not getting back sooner, I've been on the road for a week.

Adam
Found something better.

SIN's Freelance Female "Rear Entry" Super Hero
John

Postby John » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:22 am

I agree with Adam, I definitely think it's a good direction and you should consider the changes.
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:35 am

I think that I can go with a dvc 15 for now and start saving up for one or two pa-2000 from tc sounds. I have not modeled them out yet.

I want SPL from 115 to 130 in room. Shouldn't be too terribly difficult, that's a big window. Just enough to beat me up in a dorm room or a small room, I never gig anyway cuz I suck. I just like to make noise!!!
John

Postby John » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:58 am

Go for 2, 15's...Consider PR's...If anything, just for the visual of looking like you have an extra sub or two...
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:30 pm

John wrote:Go for 2, 15's...Consider PR's...If anything, just for the visual of looking like you have an extra sub or two...

Two fifteen what? Just two in general? I don't have the space for it. I think that tuning to 25-30 hz would be fine, so maybe I'll come up with something. Thanks for the advice.

Return to “Home Audio/Video”