Help me pick driver(s) for a bass cab

General discussion for all questions based in the home audio/video world.
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:02 pm

Atomic Fusion wrote:If you're doing bass guitar I actually wouldn't recommend one of these drivers. Go with a P.A. driver with a fuller upper range response.

Adam

I'll use an eminence Beta cx or similar for the higher end. I want this for subwoofer duty only. Or I can use an eminence compression tweeter and dayton PA mids along the top, in a smaller, separate enclosure.
X-OvrDistortion

Postby X-OvrDistortion » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:24 pm

flak_monkey wrote:I think that I can go with a dvc 15 for now and start saving up for one or two pa-2000 from tc sounds. I have not modeled them out yet.

My DVC 15 will be going up for sale soon......if all goes well.
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:28 pm

X-OvrDistortion wrote:My DVC 15 will be going up for sale soon......if all goes well.

How much?
X-OvrDistortion

Postby X-OvrDistortion » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:36 pm

I will PM you in a few days to let you know.....I gots a b-day present from my bro.
Atomic Fusion

Postby Atomic Fusion » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:40 pm

Still don't recommend it, there are much better drivers for this particular task, but it's your project.

Adam
Found something better.
SIN's Freelance Female "Rear Entry" Super Hero
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:55 am

Atomic Fusion wrote:Still don't recommend it, there are much better drivers for this particular task, but it's your project.

Adam

What do you suggest? If I had the money and was good enough at bass to justify the expense, I'd go with the Aura 18 but I don't and I'm not.

I've been thoroughly disappointed with PA offerings in general, the Kilomax I was using had no low end at all, and all of my bass players who have cabs made by peavy and carvin and JVC and selenium and others, none of them touch low B. The TC 15PA-2000 doesn't model out well, but their 18 looks alright.
Atomic Fusion

Postby Atomic Fusion » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:39 pm

flak_monkey wrote:What do you suggest? If I had the money and was good enough at bass to justify the expense, I'd go with the Aura 18 but I don't and I'm not.

I've been thoroughly disappointed with PA offerings in general, the Kilomax I was using had no low end at all, and all of my bass players who have cabs made by peavy and carvin and JVC and selenium and others, none of them touch low B. The TC 15PA-2000 doesn't model out well, but their 18 looks alright.

One Dayton DVC 15" is a partial mismatch for your application. You'll never develop the need for all of that xmax with the bass guitar and you're blowing a ton of effeciency to get it.

If you're not happy with the P.A. stuff, I would look into perhaps four Dayton Quattro 10's in a 6-7 cuft cabinet tuned to 28 or so Hz. It'll give you the vast majority of that bottom end you really want, and it'll improve system effeciency.

Just another option for you to explore.

Adam
Found something better.

SIN's Freelance Female "Rear Entry" Super Hero
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Tue May 01, 2007 10:41 pm

I've decided either four quatro 12's or two DVC fifteens, with a removable mid and high section, like an array along the top of the box that can either be muted or removed. I want this to run double duty as my HT sub while I'm in the dorms. I think I can fit it under the bed.

Return to “Home Audio/Video”