I Found a perfect 12.5" PVC pipe!

General discussion for all questions based in the home audio/video world.
ballstothewall

Postby ballstothewall » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:26 pm

They make pipe couplers for that stuff... If you don't mind spending $$
Member02

Postby Member02 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:06 am

eh, its in the hundreds of dollars, i got these pipes free, from a nearby construction site ;)
vfootballphs

Postby vfootballphs » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:17 am

How much pipe do you have left? If you have enough, take those smaller cuts, cut some more off of em at whatever angle necesary(too early for me to do the math ;) ) and epoxy them all together.
Member02

Postby Member02 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:01 am

I could always go "borrow" more pipe from the construction site...

but all the pipes left are over 20ft long and me AND a friend tried, and failed to pick one up.

but I gave up on the streamlined pipe and it is going to have a box at the top instead, oh well, it'll still kick *** though
KU40

Postby KU40 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:34 am

have you tried that PVC glue? it's pretty strong stuff. Not sure if it would hold on a butt connection like that with all the weight you have at certain bending angles, but it's cheap enough to try (cheaper than fiberglass and resin, that's for sure). Or you can do that and the box idea over it, or just the box idea. whatever man.
-Nick aka NS1 aka mopey aka speedbump
Alpine CDA-9827
Crossfire CFQ5.2
JL Audio XR 650csi components, Planet Audio TT2300
Crossfire VR404 on factory rear 6x8's until I get them upgraded
SI 15D2 + 3.8 @ 30 hz + Crossfire BMF 1000D = :)
CBFryman

Postby CBFryman » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:54 am

Fiberglass, fiberglass, and more fiberglass. That is all I can say.
Member02

Postby Member02 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:50 am

I'm too lazy to WAIT for more glass to come in the mail, although I'll have to replenish the glass stock soon anyhow (I hate not having resin and glass, you never know when you'll get the urge to make something)
s3sqguy

Postby s3sqguy » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:24 pm

I would cut some 'X' blocks out of ply or other wood that would set the tubes apart to fit the 'U', so the tubes would be as one....make them removable so you can carry each tube. Once mounted you could attach the 'U' many ways. You could put some pins in the end or plates on the outside so the 'U' aligns itself to the tubes. If you had a flat surface just weatherstrip the tube or 'U' ends and mount L brackets to each...use some bolts to draw them together. You could try making a large hose clamp too, but you would still need something to actually attach the parts together like plates with screws here and there. Could use some plates and then just duct tape it all the way around to seal, then cover with something pleasing. You could go so far as to make a flange for each end out of wood but thick enough it would not split, then you might screw it on from the inside and use epoxy or whatever to seal the flange on...then just bolt them together.

Yes I have looked at the concrete form tubes a few times. I would just make a ported box and soak it with resin so it held up better. The main reason is it would be so much lighter than a box in your car.
>Boston comps, Alpine HU & EQ, kicker 5ch, 4 12s IB<
>Swapping amps next as well as more deadening.<
todd.brust

Postby todd.brust » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:06 pm

so is this project scrapped or what?
There he goes, one of god's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live... too rare to die.

Novus Ordo Seclorum, The New Forum
Member02

Postby Member02 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:07 am

no, it's fine, but I can't put it together until I move into my apartment, which has been delayed till the middle of august, ALSO my camera is broken and cannon's 90 day warranty is up (took 4 months to break) so I am saving up to pay for the fixing (but thanks to kyle and that awsome priced sub, this is going to be a bit...)

Return to “Home Audio/Video”