I decided moments ago that i am going to build some speakers

General discussion for all questions based in the home audio/video world.
todd.brust

I decided moments ago that i am going to build some speakers

Postby todd.brust » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:58 am

here's what i have in mind....i can't sell my focals so i might as well put them to use...they are Focal 7C4252 4 ohm speakers....

these are the specs

Fs: 35.14 hz
Vas: 42.33 L
Qts: 0.26
Qms: 6.53
Qes: 0.27
Le: 0.58 mH
ReVC: 3.10 Ohms
Bl: 6.32
Mms: 15.98 g
Sensitivity 90 @ 1w/1m

Coated Paper Cone
Rubber Surround
Cast Frame
Vented Pole Piece
Cutout: 155mm
Mounting Depth: 74.5mm

i was thinking of doing this for the focals
Large Vented -3dB@ 50 hz in 0.75 cu. ft. box tuned to 52 hz. Port 2" diameter x 2.7" long

i spec'd that out on Bassbox and it stayed pretty flat and then the top end 3 dB point is about 970 Hz but it rolls off slowly

i will some pictures of the graphs that i spec'd out sop you have a better idea but i was thinking of doing a 3 way set up....so i need some suggestions on tweeters and mids...

oh how would it work if i was using 8 ohm tweeters with the 4 ohm speaker or vice versa? i have no experience building speaker cabinets and crossovers...
There he goes, one of god's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live... too rare to die.

Novus Ordo Seclorum, The New Forum
todd.brust

Postby todd.brust » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:29 am

theres some graphs....it rolls off pretty gradually....but i was thinking that have a mid runnring on a bandpass filter from 1khz to maybe 3 or 4khz and then run a tweeter....
i was thinking about no using a crossover on the woofer because of the natural inductance of the voice coil will work like a crossover....would that sound alright with the woofer playing into the frequencies of the mid or would it roll off enough that it wouldn't be noticable?

if i went that route...i thought about doing a 2nd order bandpass filter for the mid and a 2nd order highpass for the tweeter.....and iirc a 2nd order filter will shift the phase of the signal 180 degree...correct me if i'm wrong??????
but then i would wire the tweeter and mid opposite phase of the woofer....

does it make sense? would it work / sound good or should i rethink some of my ideas first?
There he goes, one of god's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live... too rare to die.

todd.brust

Postby todd.brust » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:54 pm

any help anyone or am i going to have to figure this out on my own?

Derek

Postby Derek » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:13 pm

if you can buy them from madisound....they will design a crossover for you....based on your enclosure and whatnot...that is the easiest route to go....otherwise....google search for a crossover spreadsheet....it will let you put in values and it will kick out a crossover design...those are the two easiest...but the second option may still need some tweaking...

or you can search online for a trusted design using that driver if there is one....search the forum on madisound and partsexpress....
Here in death's dominion
Where even shadows die
I am the one almighty
You will cry my name
And when you seek forgiveness
You will see there is no god
And for all eternity
You will cry my name
Member02

Postby Member02 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:15 pm

all on your own! wait a while fool, patience is important with home audio (otherwise it'd look like half the unfinished MDF boxes in SPL vehicles)

Plus our more experienced home audio guys don't spent most of their waking hours browsing this forum.
KU40

Postby KU40 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:38 pm

all that I can say is that making your own HT speakers is real fun. It's like making your own creation and seeing how it turns out, since you don't use packaged components like car audio most of the time.
-Nick aka NS1 aka mopey aka speedbump
Alpine CDA-9827
Crossfire CFQ5.2
JL Audio XR 650csi components, Planet Audio TT2300
Crossfire VR404 on factory rear 6x8's until I get them upgraded
SI 15D2 + 3.8 @ 30 hz + Crossfire BMF 1000D = :)
todd.brust

Postby todd.brust » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:07 pm

yeah i am pumped about it...i just don't know where to put my priorities.....i need a new sub(s) but i want to do this little project....i think i want to design it myself though...i can get a copy of crossover pro from school so i might spec it out one there and see what that tells me....but i was thinking about buying the speaker components from madisounds....but i want to experiment all on my own!

oh but the whole thing with using a 4 ohm woofer with an 8 ohm mid and tweeter...how would that affect/effect(horrible english on my part) everything as a whole? would that just attenuate the tweeter and mid?

damn i mgiht as well jsut give it a try

todd.brust

Postby todd.brust » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:08 pm

yeah i am pumped about it...i just don't know where to put my priorities.....i need a new sub(s) but i want to do this little project....i think i want to design it myself though...i can get a copy of crossover pro from school so i might spec it out one there and see what that tells me....but i was thinking about buying the speaker components from madisounds....but i want to experiment all on my own!

oh but the whole thing with using a 4 ohm woofer with an 8 ohm mid and tweeter...how would that affect/effect(horrible english on my part) everything as a whole? would that just attenuate the tweeter and mid?

damn i might as well just give it a try...besides i found a side job that i can work my wed. that i have off and weekends for cash!

todd.brust

Postby todd.brust » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:09 pm

sorry about the post repeat

Derek

Postby Derek » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:17 pm

sometimes...sorry is just not enough.
Here in death's dominion
Where even shadows die
I am the one almighty
You will cry my name
And when you seek forgiveness
You will see there is no god
And for all eternity
You will cry my name