The Dahlquist DQ-10 re-foam project

General discussion for all questions based in the home audio/video world.
todd.brust

The Dahlquist DQ-10 re-foam project

Postby todd.brust » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:41 pm

the 10" woofers needed to have the foam surround replaced so i finally got around to doing it...first time doing ti...thought i'd share it with everyone :)
here's the set-up not ideal, but it works

check out the 5 way!

crossover

square magnets? whop does that?

this is how old the surround is! ripped all along that edge!

as of now i scraped all the old foam off and i glued the new surround to the cone....still waiting for it to dry...tomorrow i will align the coil and glue the surround to the masonite board....it's kind of weird because the basket looks like it's amde for a 12" but the board compensates for it being a 10...and scraping the old rotted foam and glue off the bottom of that masonite was a *****! but i should be done tommorrow
There he goes, one of god's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live... too rare to die.

Novus Ordo Seclorum, The New Forum
Member02

Postby Member02 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:28 am

maybe you should recone it for a 12? hah, pics@ MOAR!
todd.brust

Postby todd.brust » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:34 am

nah...if i was going to do that i'd buy a whole new speaker...that would have been much easier but would have changed the performance of the speaker....the way these are designed, they are phased arrayed so it like having a perfect sound stage so i want to keep it like that... it sounded good before but you could tell that the surrounds were going...i can't wait until they are all done and see how much better it is...maybe i'll throw some Zappa LPs on right away :)
There he goes, one of god's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live... too rare to die.

todd.brust

Postby todd.brust » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:40 am

well i just finished the refoaming, and to tell the truth...the whole process wasn't as bad as i thought it would be...i thought i would be much more critical. i was mostly worried about getting the voice coil aligned and the magnetic gap but that went very well, i just used a AA battery and hooked it the the speaker and lined the coil up perfectly! i just need to either borrow a solder gun or go buy my own(what i really should do since i need one) so i can solder the wires back together and get the DQ-10s playing some music...given their tiem to dry

todd.brust

Postby todd.brust » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:46 pm

well it's all done...everything is put back together and they sound great! listened to the full Frank Zappa Hot Rats album and i cannot complain...i thought it sounded pretty good before the re-foam but now...whoa, a world of difference and it wasn't even difficult...but i didn't get anymore pictures...i just wanted to get everything done...just imagine the pictures before with new surrounds and me soldering the wires...

Member02

Postby Member02 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:50 pm

you are completely evil. no pics.
JimJ[VT]

Postby JimJ[VT] » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:38 pm

I heard a pair of DQ-10's again this past weekend, they's good 'uns.

Totally incompatible with any amp I have but if you have the power, they do well :)
crow

Postby crow » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:15 pm

What model receiver is that in the pictures?
todd.brust

Postby todd.brust » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:35 pm

it's and older Kenwood KR-6050 in near flawless cosmetic and works like it was new....i could be running a more powerful receiver/amp but that will cost me money, i also have the DQ-MX1 passive X over and the Dahlquist DQ-1W (15" i beleive) hiding in the closet next to the right speaker...it's surprising how loud they can get and not even seeing the power they are capable of handling

todd.brust

Postby todd.brust » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:10 pm

just since member02 felt like whining, i'll put up a few pictures that i did take...it was to hard to document with just myself trying to take a picture and work at the same time...

here's the supplies

view from back of the speaker(has inverted surround

the surround rolled back so you can see where i had to glue

aligning the coil

i got a little glue happy :)

applying the glue

Return to “Home Audio/Video”