How to ship a XXX

General discussion for all questions based in the home audio/video world.
95Honda

How to ship a XXX

Postby 95Honda » Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:53 pm

I am on my way to Germany as I speak and had all my gear shipped there by a moving company. I decided to build packaging for all my H/T gear including my pair of XBL2 XXX18s RE had custom built for my H/T system. Most people know how easily these get destroyed in shipping, so I went bulletproof for the packaging. The walls were made of 11/16" OSB and all joints were lined with 1.25" x 1.25" fir strips I milled up from 2x4s from Home Depot. All was assembled with polyurethane glue and brad nailed except for the top, that was attached last with 1.5" sheetrock screws. I used polystryrene insulting foam for the packing, 3" of it below the motor with an additional 3" for lateral support, and 2" on the top with an additional piece of OSB and 1/2" foam laminated together for lateral support of the basket. They fit together killer and didn't cost too much. I built a pair of these for the XXX18s, a pair for the sub cabs, a pair for my mains and one for my home built amp. The total cost was just under $200 for everything with Home Depot's 10% off military discount and me haagling them down a few bucks on a few of the insulation sheets that were nicked on the corners....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://www.forceaudio.com

Marshall asked me how much it would be to fly to Idaho....
X-OvrDistortion

Postby X-OvrDistortion » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:07 pm

Dude, those are so going to be destroyed going to Germany, but MN, they might make it. :D

Have a safe move.
DevilDriver

Postby DevilDriver » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:13 pm

Have fun in Germany. I hope to be going there for a semester or two in the not-to-distant future.

Looks pretty well packed. With the exception of the OSB, the XJ-15 I received from Kyle (though I think it might have come directly from DIYCable) was packed as well as that, perhaps even better. It's always better to over-pack and avoid the hassles that come from a damage claim.
fbi90909

Postby fbi90909 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:20 pm

10 bucks say at least 1 of them will break. imo you should make a mounting baffle in the box. and a tight support for the motor to sit on. cause if that things on a long trip and just sitting on the foam i'm sure that foam will just flatten with vibrations or such and allow the sub to move freely.

though great packaging. good luck!
95Honda

Postby 95Honda » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:29 pm

If you mount them to a baffle, that is how they get destroyed.... Biggest mistake people make.... You have to support the motor with most of the force, any other way and you are asking for trouble.... The 12 spoke frame was never meant for that motor.... LOL.. They make it just fine.....

95Honda

Postby 95Honda » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:31 pm

DevilDriver wrote:Have fun in Germany. I hope to be going there for a semester or two in the not-to-distant future.

Looks pretty well packed. With the exception of the OSB, the XJ-15 I received from Kyle (though I think it might have come directly from DIYCable) was packed as well as that, perhaps even better. It's always better to over-pack and avoid the hassles that come from a damage claim.

Look me up when you get there, I hope to get into audio right away, I think I will be able to get in with the locals when it comes to that part.... Also, I'll be the only American in my shop, mostly younger German, Dutch, French and Belgian guys... I'm sure they will be able to ppoint me in the right direction.....

X-OvrDistortion

Postby X-OvrDistortion » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:10 pm

95Honda wrote: I'm sure they will be able to ppoint me in the right direction.....

To the gay bar. :cwm11:
DevilDriver

Postby DevilDriver » Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:42 pm

95Honda wrote:Look me up when you get there, I hope to get into audio right away, I think I will be able to get in with the locals when it comes to that part.... Also, I'll be the only American in my shop, mostly younger German, Dutch, French and Belgian guys... I'm sure they will be able to ppoint me in the right direction.....

Where in Germany specifically will you be headed? One of my first orders of business when I get there is to meet with Dr. Klippel and his team. I would love to meet you (not in the Derek way, though).
93CougarXR7SE

Postby 93CougarXR7SE » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:20 pm

Ya, foam tends to flatten, and magnets tend to break. I HATE FedEx! Check the foam below:
Benjamin 07/30/82 89 Ranger; '95 S10; '02 Ninja 250R, '99 Honda XR80; '90 Yamaha RT 100

Bedroom: Onkyo TX-SR605B powering DefTech ProCenter 2000 and pair BP6B, 2 Mirage Omni 350, PE amp pushing 12" eD B212.

Smooth move, FedEx!
flak_monkey

Postby flak_monkey » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:31 pm

My heart aches every time I think about that.
Ouch.
93CougarXR7SE wrote:Ya, foam tends to flatten, and magnets tend to break. I HATE FedEx! Check the foam below:

Return to “Home Audio/Video”