Suspension upgrades?

Come here to discuss the performance side of our vehicles.
jlaine

Suspension upgrades?

Postby jlaine » Tue Jun 18, 2002 9:48 pm

Given my vehicle, what would be a suggested suspension upgrade to get a better handling overall? Overall ride can be stiffened, and I don't mind lowering the car at all if needs be, as it doesn't get out much lately... :(

I'm interested in getting a better handling vehicle and get it a little lower to the ground, as it has a good deal of airspace under it that makes it kind of look goofy to me...
Yo.
winslow

Postby winslow » Tue Jun 18, 2002 9:57 pm

Josh, what kind of car and what kind of budget?
Team Image Dynamics
Team Brax
Team IXOS
Sick Bastard Audio SQ
jlaine

Postby jlaine » Tue Jun 18, 2002 9:59 pm

Originally posted by winslow
Josh, what kind of car and what kind of budget?

2000 Pontiac Firebird...

Budget can be unlimited, if I have to save for 6 months to do it... I will. I'm persistent.. ;)
Yo.
nismo

Postby nismo » Tue Jun 18, 2002 10:15 pm

im a big fan of h&r's, with kyb agx's...it should lower you about 1.5" or so, and will make the suspension more firm, but not harsh. plus with the agx's, you can twist a knob, and be ready for auto-x or torn up roads :D

eric
jlaine

Postby jlaine » Tue Jun 18, 2002 10:39 pm

Originally posted by nismo
im a big fan of h&r's, with kyb agx's...it should lower you about 1.5" or so, and will make the suspension more firm, but not harsh. plus with the agx's, you can twist a knob, and be ready for auto-x or torn up roads :D

eric

Links to reference material and costs?
Yo.
nismo

Postby nismo » Tue Jun 18, 2002 10:47 pm

Originally posted by jlaine

Links to reference material and costs?

umm...? lemme look, and see if i can find someplace that has them that carries more than just maxima stuff ;)

eric
jlaine

Postby jlaine » Tue Jun 18, 2002 10:52 pm

Originally posted by nismo

umm...? lemme look, and see if i can find someplace that has them that carries more than just maxima stuff ;)

eric

I'm looking for vehicle specific info really, just because it worked on a maxima doesn't make me feel quite safe adding it to my vehicle... two very very different styles of cars... If you are sure they are proven on my style of vehicle, I'll consider them though.
Yo.
sirsloop

Postby sirsloop » Tue Jun 18, 2002 10:56 pm

Easiest way to make you car go from honda civic to indy car feel is a REAL set of performance tires.

I have Bridgetone RE730's, altough they are not ALL OUT performance tires they do have EXTREMELY good ratings, and I agree. Awesome tire, great handling, INSANE traction.

Set that aside, replace all rubber bushings with polyeurethane bushings, strut tower brace, stiffer springs (DONT cut them)
nismo

Postby nismo » Tue Jun 18, 2002 11:15 pm

well josh, regardless of car, the h&r's are the best springs made, imo. and the agx's compliment them very well. as for specific "how does this work with MY car"...youd probably have to ask some f-body forum people.

ive been looking, and the springs for your car are ~299, and i believe the agx's are about 90/corner.

http://www.hrsprings.com/ has the springs, if youd like to check them out.

im still lookin for a good supplier for the agx's tho.

eric
n0ph0bia

Postby n0ph0bia » Tue Jun 18, 2002 11:16 pm

Ive had good luck with the following shockes and springs:

Bilsteins (rear wheel drive) - very nice

Those KYB AGX Adjustables are damn nice I had those on my Honda Prelude, and they made a huge different.

http://www.tirerack.com has those.

Springs - I like neuspeed, I have never had problems with those.

17" Rims with good rubber on them will make a huge difference. Yokohama Paradas are great, also I have had good luck with Nitto 555's. Of course the better question is are you going for a quarter mile car, or a country back road cornering car?

I have seen a lot of Firebirds with BF Goodrichs on them.

Return to “Automotive Performance”