Is it worth it?

Come here to discuss the performance side of our vehicles.
rawkus2g

Is it worth it?

Postby rawkus2g » Wed Jun 19, 2002 11:39 pm

Cold air intakes... should i spend the extra hundred bux or so for an AEM intake or should i save and get the generic kind?

Camber kits... Ingalls goes for 150ish dollars on ebay.... but off brand goes for like 20, that diff scares me, for such a minor component i cant see it costing 150, but 20 is just to damn cheap, what should i do?
Chris Rock "You know what it means when they pay you minimum wage? You know what their trying to tell you? It's like hey! If I could pay you less, I would"
"...we have to many repeat offenders. The jails are so nice they come back twice. You gotta make jails tough. You gotta make this an experience they'll never forget. Cause they don't have this problem in other countries... They don't have this problem in Iran. Cause it's hard to snatch another purse if you don't have another ******* hand."
MorbidDK

Postby MorbidDK » Thu Jun 20, 2002 12:30 am

Cold air intakes help with other modifications added, such as larger exhaust pipes, new HP fuel injectors, etc... they add a tiny bit of performance. Also, depending on which car this application is used for, you might wanna check out Dragon Intakes, DreamSpeed Intakes and can't forget Iceman Intakes. All are great quality along side of the AEM's however some work better in certain cars than others and some give you more options such as flex pipes to place the filter in the car where you want, etc. Its generally all up to the driver. in most cases, they will make your car a little louder. :) I should probably add here that when I start on performance mods for my car a Cold Air Intake is gonna be one of the first things I do, along with wires, plugs, ignition.

As far as camber kits, there are 3 major areas that affect the price.
1) What car their built for.
2) Amount in degrees of adjustment they are able to provide.
3) Front or Rear camber kit.

Prices for my car range from $40 -> $100 per kit depending on #2 and #3. (Dodge Avenger) Also, each kit for my car is one wheel only meaning i need 2 kits for the front and 2 kits for the back.
Sound_Miata
Location: From the secret hideout of the VAST right wing conspiracy

Postby Sound_Miata » Thu Jun 20, 2002 10:55 am

Cold Air intakes can be worth it, in the recent eclipse (the v6 variety) they found 9HP or so at the wheels, which is about 5% gain right off the bat (nice number). Do your research and see if someone has dyno proof of it, most companies these days are providing dyno proof on each specific car.

As far as camber kits go, there is other concern as well. The quality and coating of the metal can do a good deal as well. Really they are simple plates, but a good quality coating and rust resistant metal makes a big difference as well. Do you want a huge block of steel for adjusters, or slim coated aluminum. (this is an exxageration of course).

Morbid: most cars come overly rich from the factory and have plenty of room in them for growth (within reason) so new injectors are often not needed. As well as ignition boxes and fancy plug wires. The tests I've seen on both those items have never shown more than a 1 to 2 HP difference on the dyno which is NOTHING as that can be just a variance in the run. Granted changing the plugs/wires are a needed and good maintenance item, I've never seen iridium plugs or 8/8.5mm plug wires make a performance gain (except for those claimed by the company).

-Greer
*Winner of the Beastly 1000th AND 2000th Post*
slappin momma llama on the backside-Joshie-Poo :-D

Vendors: We will allow you to break the laws of physics and the second law of thermodynamics so long as you provide us with a working model.
sirsloop

Postby sirsloop » Thu Jun 20, 2002 11:42 am

moroso cold air intake is a proved 4hp done by multiple private parties and dynos. This is on a stock 5.0L Mustang.

Performance gains on a smaller engine are harder to get. I can bolt on nice exhaust and make 40hp+ but a small engine would only make 15 more...

so I doubt a cold air intake would do a lot.

nitrous would though :)
rawkus2g

Postby rawkus2g » Thu Jun 20, 2002 12:33 pm

im not really worried about the output power gained, im tossing in a huge system with 40lbs worth of subs alone, i just want to know, will the cheaper intakes fit as easily as the higher quality ones.... stuff like that
Chris Rock "You know what it means when they pay you minimum wage? You know what their trying to tell you? It's like hey! If I could pay you less, I would"

"...we have to many repeat offenders. The jails are so nice they come back twice. You gotta make jails tough. You gotta make this an experience they'll never forget. Cause they don't have this problem in other countries... They don't have this problem in Iran. Cause it's hard to snatch another purse if you don't have another ******* hand."
Sound_Miata

Postby Sound_Miata » Thu Jun 20, 2002 2:10 pm

sirsloop, you can't compare 8's to 4's in that manner because everything is very very different in the design. Why is it on older muscle cars you can port/polish heads and pick up HUGE gains? because the casting isn't that great, however, on todays modern cars, similar can happen. Every car has a weak point/points, such as exhaust (as you say on your GT) or intakes on new Eclipses.

-Greer

Vendors: We will allow you to break the laws of physics and the second law of thermodynamics so long as you provide us with a working model.
Sound_Miata

Postby Sound_Miata » Thu Jun 20, 2002 2:11 pm

Rawkus, for fitment issues, most of the time, the 20 buck kit will be just a filter and you make it work without brackets, the bigger name companies will produce correct brackets and other hardware so nothing rattles or shakes an what not. I have a rattle with my current intake kit that I'm still trying to fix because the turbo manufacturer did not make the pipe correctly.

-Greer

deezie

Postby deezie » Thu Jun 20, 2002 4:37 pm

i plan on building my own cai.. so that is an option
JBL600.1 and one SE15
StaticX313

Re: Is it worth it?

Postby StaticX313 » Thu Jun 27, 2002 4:15 pm

Originally posted by rawkus2g
Cold air intakes... should i spend the extra hundred bux or so for an AEM intake or should i save and get the generic kind?

Camber kits... Ingalls goes for 150ish dollars on ebay.... but off brand goes for like 20, that diff scares me, for such a minor component i cant see it costing 150, but 20 is just to damn cheap, what should i do?

Also if you upgrade your intake , try to see if they make a max air box. http://www.mvpmotorsports.com makes them and even has packages. (Air intake, box, etcs...). They say the box alone will create 8-10rwhp (15+actual hp) alone and then the intake filter maybe 3-5rwhp more and then the actual intake even more.

RoB~
2004 Subaru WRX STI Blue\Silver

MODS: Perrin Inlet Hose, Perrin SRI, Perrin Catch Can, Perrin Crank Pulley, Perrin Radiator Shroud, Whiteline Diff Bushings, StaticX Grounding Kit, STI Strut Bars (Front and Rear), Kuhmo 245/40ZR17s, Blitz Nur Spec R cat back, GodSpeed INC Downpipe (soon), UTEC (on preorder list).

Return to “Automotive Performance”