1991 V8 Powered S10

Come here to discuss the performance side of our vehicles.
WeDgE

1991 V8 Powered S10

Postby WeDgE » Mon Jun 24, 2002 1:18 am

Hey all,

Being a college student takes me pretty low down on the income list, so this limits me as to what kind of vehicle I can buy. I do have about $2000-$2500 to spend on a vehicle, which I must be able to drive in winter as well (damn Canadian winters!). I have been looking at a couple different types so far, those being: smaller 4 cyl hatchback or a smaller sized pickup (quarter-ton trucks). I recently found a 1991 V8 powered S10 for sale in a car trader magazine for $1500CAN. What do you guys think of this truck and what things I look out for if I were to purchase it??

Also, what other vehicles would you guys suggest that would still pertain to my criteria??

WeDgE
davidjs

Postby davidjs » Mon Jun 24, 2002 7:11 am

If it's a RWD truck, it'll be a lot of fun in ice... :eek:
Drinking from the firehose... care to join me for a sip??
"Always and never are two words you should always remember to never use..."
**Almost done, almost done**
aka Saleen999
Shaddow75

Postby Shaddow75 » Mon Jun 24, 2002 9:58 am

might be a good idea to run a lemmon check on this trunk, and find out how old the engine block itself is when and if it was rebuilt, who installed it transmition...ect but as far as the truck itself, well its a 91 and 11 years of driving might show/
~2000 Nissan Xterra~

~Starting Over~

~Now I Know What I Wish I Would Have Known~
sirsloop

Postby sirsloop » Mon Jun 24, 2002 11:56 am

if you are really concerned with money, then I wouldnt get that truck. Its probably a 350ci, with a 4bbl on top so gas mileage will be horrible.

My sister has a '89 mazda 626, with a 2.2L turbocharged engine in it...its the same engine that went into the 89 probe gt's with a different name plate on the engine! Probalby runs mid 15's in the quarter mile, and is a blast to drive...gets low 30's for mpg too!!
jlaine

Postby jlaine » Mon Jun 24, 2002 2:45 pm

A mazda surviving canadian winters...

They don't even survive Minnesota winters...

I believe that for practical sakes, a pickup is his best bet, just like he was looking at...
Yo.
sirsloop

Postby sirsloop » Mon Jun 24, 2002 2:49 pm

HA...S-10s are NOTORIOUS rust machines!!

They even rank higher than mustangs in "most likely to rust out in 10 years"!!

My dad has a '88 S-10 that is INSANELY rusted. Its like Vega rust :D

Get a decent battery, and block warmer and I dont see why it wouldnt run in the winter. With snow tires on there it will make it through plenty of snow...
jlaine

Postby jlaine » Mon Jun 24, 2002 6:11 pm

You haven't been here then...
NO car gets through some of our storms... And the one you picked.. is reallly bad...

As for the S-10 rust bucket comment... I'll have to agree....
Yo.
sirsloop

Postby sirsloop » Mon Jun 24, 2002 6:16 pm

My mom lives just south of Minneapolis.

From what I have seen it there isnt that much snow, more ice and blistering cold temperatures. NY has had some very mild winters the past 5 years or so, we get our whopper 4-5ft storms 1-2 times a year, nothing 1 day at home doesnt take care of
electricice

Postby electricice » Mon Jun 24, 2002 6:41 pm

the solution to the rust is to get the underbody steamcleaned and under coated. my truck was used on the beach daily. hencec its lifeguard yellow color. it has some sings of rust but it was undercaoted and when i got it i re did it. they sell an acid the neautrlizez the old rust. use that get it clean get it coated and you will be fine. and none of that process is expensive.
WeDgE

Postby WeDgE » Mon Jun 24, 2002 7:30 pm

sirsloop, if I'm only going to be paying $1500 bucks for the darn thing, I don't think rust is going to matter that much! :D It would be quite the sleeper as well, having a V8 and "rust" colored paint...:cool: At any rate, I might be making this purchase as soon as I can get down to the big city!

WeDgE

Return to “Automotive Performance”