how much HP would a new Cold Air Intake add?

Come here to discuss the performance side of our vehicles.
Tony

how much HP would a new Cold Air Intake add?

Postby Tony » Mon Jul 01, 2002 11:49 pm

I have a 2002 Honda Civic EX with a 1.7 litre 127 HP 4 cylinder (not much)
Approx. how much HP would a new cold air intake add?
Sound_Miata
Location: From the secret hideout of the VAST right wing conspiracy

Postby Sound_Miata » Tue Jul 02, 2002 12:03 am

depends on the intake, the style of filter, other tuning issues, just strapping on a filter to the end of the intake manifold will produce higher HP but lower torque, a longer intake will produce more low end torque but not as much high end HP. There are tradeoffs in it all, but at the wheels I would expect to see 2-7 depending on the style and quality. While 2-7 doesn't seem like much, remember, area under the curve (i.e how much extra power it makes across the rev range) is the real key. To me, making 3 HP across the entire RPM band is more important than 7HP in the final 200rpms

-Greer
*Winner of the Beastly 1000th AND 2000th Post*
slappin momma llama on the backside-Joshie-Poo :-D

Vendors: We will allow you to break the laws of physics and the second law of thermodynamics so long as you provide us with a working model.
Tony

Postby Tony » Tue Jul 02, 2002 12:07 am

alright thanks
StaticX313

Re: how much HP would a new Cold Air Intake add?

Postby StaticX313 » Tue Jul 02, 2002 12:38 am

Originally posted by Tony
I have a 2002 Honda Civic EX with a 1.7 litre 127 HP 4 cylinder (not much)
Approx. how much HP would a new cold air intake add?

also the filter adds the HP... the actual intake itself will not add that much, but when/if you turbo your car it will help a ton for it will help to keep together when the turbo puts stress on the intake. If anything (unless u want that nice shiney intake) just get the filter for now.

RoB~

Also try to get the non-maintenance filters... stuff like K and N and wet filter types require maintenance and can be a serious pain sometimes. Also if you can see if they make a box for your car. Some max air boxes add more hp/tq then the actual intake/filters do.
2004 Subaru WRX STI Blue\Silver

MODS: Perrin Inlet Hose, Perrin SRI, Perrin Catch Can, Perrin Crank Pulley, Perrin Radiator Shroud, Whiteline Diff Bushings, StaticX Grounding Kit, STI Strut Bars (Front and Rear), Kuhmo 245/40ZR17s, Blitz Nur Spec R cat back, GodSpeed INC Downpipe (soon), UTEC (on preorder list).
rthompson

Postby rthompson » Tue Jul 02, 2002 9:26 pm

I have actually seen a review by an import magazine that dyno'd a car after the installation (i believe it was a Civic or an Integra), and there was no actual peak HP increase, but it did add 4 lb-ft of torque and 5 HP at lower revs...... It may not seem like it but the extra 1-2 MPG better that you get and the fact that it is washable will save you money in the long run. For the cost i think it is worth a shot.
Duffman says a lot of things... oh yeah!!

"Don't think about greasy pork......" Jakezor

Return to “Automotive Performance”