PDA O-scopes...Greer maybe

Come here to discuss the performance side of our vehicles.
sandt38

PDA O-scopes...Greer maybe

Postby sandt38 » Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:22 am

I know Greer works in a shop, but anyone please feel free to give input.

I was looking into PDA O-scopes for a few months (I have a scope already, but I don't like to haul my main scope around for install work), and Matco has just come out with one in conjunction with OTC/SPX. Well, I decided to step up to the plate and jumed on a unit for $775 with expandability capability for OBDII diagnosis. I was quite impressed at injector waveform pictures, crank sensors, and ignition primary signals. I then went to some of the more typical pattern failure items, like MAPs and TPS. Unfortunately the scope was far too slow (with regaurd to refresh rate). At 100Ms it refreshed pretty quick, but as you know 100Ms per division, with a 2 division grid isn't worth a damm, so I expanded the time duration to 5000Ms. It took so long to pick up and display a pattern as to render it useless. I was disapointed to say the least. However, I figured with my main scope I didn't need to worry about the PDA for diagnosis, so I did some looking for how to get an AC scope pattern. No go. No AC readings available. Does anyone know of a good PDA Scope or am I just going to have to spend another grand for a smaller floating scope? My main scope is a $3500 unit and it is just not comforting to bring it to an install job, I prefer to leave it locked up in my heavily insured tool box. Any suggestions are welcome. Also, real time display is mor eof what I'm looking for.
Thanks,
Seth
Sound_Miata
Location: From the secret hideout of the VAST right wing conspiracy

Postby Sound_Miata » Tue Aug 20, 2002 3:18 pm

Seth,
can't help ya much on the O-scopes sadly, maybe rockinru might have some advice, any chance you can return the PDA o-scope stuff to recoup some losses?

-Greer
*Winner of the Beastly 1000th AND 2000th Post*
slappin momma llama on the backside-Joshie-Poo :-D

Vendors: We will allow you to break the laws of physics and the second law of thermodynamics so long as you provide us with a working model.
sandt38

Postby sandt38 » Tue Aug 20, 2002 4:43 pm

Originally posted by Sound_Miata
Seth,
can't help ya much on the O-scopes sadly, maybe rockinru might have some advice, any chance you can return the PDA o-scope stuff to recoup some losses?

-Greer

Already done. Thanks for the reply
sandt38

Postby sandt38 » Sat Sep 21, 2002 7:23 am

After struggleing with what scope I was going to buy (I needed one that didn't cost as much as my main unit at work) I decided on a Mac Tools ET2011. It is loaded with features, presets, referance waveforms, and even a preset for gainsetting!!! All for $849, about $900 after tax. Far cheaper than my 2020 at about $4000. I feel more comfortable carrying the less expensive unit around. I will use it at home for automotive diagnosis and stereo installs. Here it is, along with my Fluke 87, my battery charger, tons of spare batteries, and a spare lead set. I carry this box with me frequently, so I like to keep the important stuff in there...
Sound_Miata

Postby Sound_Miata » Sat Sep 21, 2002 8:32 am

SWEET! if only I could write it off taxes as a work expense....

-Greer

Vendors: We will allow you to break the laws of physics and the second law of thermodynamics so long as you provide us with a working model.
sandt38

Postby sandt38 » Sat Sep 21, 2002 1:37 pm

Originally posted by Sound_Miata
SWEET! if only I could write it off taxes as a work expense....

-Greer

you work in a shop don't you? Write it off...
nismo

Postby nismo » Sat Sep 21, 2002 4:34 pm

Originally posted by sandt38

im gettin ready to start a shop...i think that a LinX and an O-scope are gonna be on the list of write offs :D

eric
Sound_Miata

Postby Sound_Miata » Sat Sep 21, 2002 10:21 pm

Originally posted by sandt38

not on the service side, parts side only....and even then not really any more.

-Greer

Return to “Automotive Performance”