Cobra or deuce coupe?

Come here to discuss the performance side of our vehicles.
rthompson

Cobra or deuce coupe?

Postby rthompson » Sun Aug 25, 2002 8:14 am

I had my mind set on doing a cobra kit car once i get my current car paid off (1 more year on loan), but i saw a Deuce coupe driving around town, and i really want to do something like this. Is there a place that does Deuce coupe kits, or do i have to find a real one.

This is for a weekend car not a daily driver, and i want to do a kit for the experience of building a car from the ground up.
Duffman says a lot of things... oh yeah!!

"Don't think about greasy pork......" Jakezor
rthompson

Postby rthompson » Sun Aug 25, 2002 8:20 am

the thing is that if i got the cobra kit car it would be light and nimble (2500 lbs) and i would likely shoot for 400+ hp, but i imagine that a deuce coupe will be a bit more mass....
Another thing is cost, the Cobra kits are around 12-18k depending on the options, but even the cheaper ones tend to cost close to the 18k finished, and i really can't justify more than that on a "weekend only" car.

Any suggestions or comments? I have a lot of time to plan:)

sandt38

Postby sandt38 » Sun Aug 25, 2002 10:07 am

Originally posted by rthompson
the thing is that if i got the cobra kit car it would be light and nimble (2500 lbs) and i would likely shoot for 400+ hp, but i imagine that a deuce coupe will be a bit more mass....
Another thing is cost, the Cobra kits are around 12-18k depending on the options, but even the cheaper ones tend to cost close to the 18k finished, and i really can't justify more than that on a "weekend only" car.

Any suggestions or comments? I have a lot of time to plan:)

Don't figure the Cobra to be nimble. That fat heavy 460 up front does 2 things in the kits and from what I've read, the origional. The Big power and light rear (compared to the front) makes for a quick blowing of the tires. Also oversteer is a real problem with these. I believe it was Turbo magazine that did a killer article on a guy who built one with a TTA 3.8 engine and tranny that he said just about fell into place. He ran it in the 12s with a stock engine and computer. He said it did wonders for the handleing. I like the duece coupes... That would be my ride;)
nismo

Postby nismo » Sun Aug 25, 2002 11:06 am

either way, ya cant lose with a toy. as for an engine for the cobra, try to find a 4.6 out of a wrecked stang. theyre light, and could make you pretty fast without losing much to a v6 as far as handling.

eric
Sound_Miata
Location: From the secret hideout of the VAST right wing conspiracy

Postby Sound_Miata » Sun Aug 25, 2002 11:47 am

for me in VA there are problems with how to register the cobra design, and a friend of mine never did get a straight answer on how to do it. Emissions were nasty as how you had to register the car, he was also worried about little kids and side pipes an what not.

From what I understand the FFR (Factory Five Replica) kit is the way to go for quality, the 5.0liter base and starting cars. But it is 18K for basically a stock suspension mustang and they were no handling dreams. It will take a good bit of money and fab (and paint) but it can be done. Project more like 35 for a high quality one when you are done (at least thats what I figured when I researched em 2-3 years ago.)

-Greer
*Winner of the Beastly 1000th AND 2000th Post*
slappin momma llama on the backside-Joshie-Poo :-D

Vendors: We will allow you to break the laws of physics and the second law of thermodynamics so long as you provide us with a working model.
winslow

Postby winslow » Sun Aug 25, 2002 4:57 pm

My choice would be the FFR Cobra...they have gotten alot better in production quality. They are light, use readily avalible (cheap) parts, use a construction method similar to the orginal, and they are fairly cheap.

A stock FFR with a stock FI5.0 engine can do 0-60 in the high 4 second range. You will not be able to put a 4.6L SOHC or DOHC in a FFR car b/c the motor is so damned wide...and they are just started offering the big block option. Most people don't get the BB because of weight/balance issuses, and truth be told a strong 347 or a 351 like the SVO 351 crate motor would be too much power for nearly any driver/track situation. With the 351/385 crate motor, you could easily spin the tires up to and past 100 MPH...which is scarly feeling.

I'm a Cobra nut, and want to build one myself when I get the money...there is nothing more sexy than a car whose body is stretched over the frame and wheels. My dilema would be choosing between the 289 and the 427 body styles...
Team Image Dynamics
Team Brax
Team IXOS
Sick Bastard Audio SQ
rthompson

Postby rthompson » Sun Aug 25, 2002 6:05 pm

Originally posted by nismo
either way, ya cant lose with a toy. as for an engine for the cobra, try to find a 4.6 out of a wrecked stang. theyre light, and could make you pretty fast without losing much to a v6 as far as handling.

eric

I was planning on using a Chevy LS1, it is lighter and more powerful than the 4.6.... hell the engine its self (i was told) is lighter than the inline 6 out of the BMW M3.
I was figuring on looking for a rolled F Body or Corvette.... or the LS1 crate engine since it is under $5500, and then i would just need to look for a Tranny

If i do the Deuce coupe then i might go 454 or larger....

nismo

Postby nismo » Sun Aug 25, 2002 6:11 pm

i know where you can get a t-45...a friend of mine owns it. if youre interested, ill say something to him.

eric
sandt38

Postby sandt38 » Sun Aug 25, 2002 6:54 pm

Originally posted by rthompson

If i do the Deuce coupe then i might go 454 or larger....

a Sonny Liston 500 perhaps?:eek:

Oh, that was exciting!!!
Sound_Miata
Location: From the secret hideout of the VAST right wing conspiracy

Postby Sound_Miata » Sun Aug 25, 2002 6:55 pm

I wasnt' aware the LS1 was an option, most of the cobras use mustang undercarraiges so you would have to effectively put a GM in a ford, not the easiest unless your handy with a welder and can build motor mounts

-Greer
*Winner of the Beastly 1000th AND 2000th Post*

slappin momma llama on the backside-Joshie-Poo :-D

Vendors: We will allow you to break the laws of physics and the second law of thermodynamics so long as you provide us with a working model.

Return to “Automotive Performance”