Cobra or deuce coupe?

Come here to discuss the performance side of our vehicles.
rthompson

Postby rthompson » Sun Aug 25, 2002 9:19 pm

Originally posted by Sound_Miata
I wasnt' aware the LS1 was an option, most of the cobras use mustang undercarraiges so you would have to effectively put a GM in a ford, not the easiest unless your handy with a welder and can build motor mounts

-Greer

I can fabricate my own motor mounts, and i know that they will sell the shell and the chassis without the motor.... in essence when you get a kit car you can do it any way you want.
Duffman says a lot of things... oh yeah!!

"Don't think about greasy pork......" Jakezor
outlawstar

Postby outlawstar » Sun Aug 25, 2002 11:20 pm

u may want a kit car but imo. doin a frame up job on a all steel real coupe be more fun to build and drive. it would more then likely cost a lil more then a kit car, but if ya do all the fabrication and work urself it more then likely be bout the same cost as a kit car from the frame up.
just my $0.02
i have seen the top of the moutain and it is good-------butthead
1995 Subaru Impreza Hatch
Eclipse cd5423, IDcd1 mh's, Dyn MW160GT's, IDmax12, PG teq15x, Avionixx axa440.4 axt1200.2
winslow

Postby winslow » Sun Aug 25, 2002 11:57 pm

I'm a die hard Chevy fan...but to put a Chevy engine in a Cobra is plain wrong...

Hell...it took a while to convince myself that a small block Ford in a 427 replica was "alright" to do...

But not a Chevy in a Cobra...

The LS-1 would be sweet in a Coupe though. If you want a cheap motor/auto tranny, pull the LS-1 out of a wrecked Buick Roadmaster wagon...it'd be cheaper than looking for an LS-1 out of a F-body...
Team Image Dynamics
Team Brax
Team IXOS
Sick Bastard Audio SQ
nismo

Postby nismo » Mon Aug 26, 2002 12:23 am

Originally posted by winslow
I'm a die hard Chevy fan...but to put a Chevy engine in a Cobra is plain wrong...

Hell...it took a while to convince myself that a small block Ford in a 427 replica was "alright" to do...

i still feel swapping brands isnt okay, but swapping within a brand (and other products from its parent company) are okay...like a ford engine in a mazda, or vice versa...but swapping an sr20 into a civic, or a chevy into a ford--sorry, but that does fly with me.

eric
Spyda

why limit yourself?

Postby Spyda » Wed Aug 28, 2002 7:44 pm

Although both of the cars that you mentioned are badazz cars, I only see one problem with them...they are kit cars, meaning that they have been built many times before (I can't tell you how many 32-34's are running around here). but the upside is there is always help when you need it.

But I say built something a little different....maybe a 50 Merc on air with some 20's all around...or a pro-street Willies...something that will catch the attention of even the most die-hard customizer.

but out of the two that you said I'd pick the deuce...although the Cobra is sweet, its still no match for custom in my eyes :)

Peace,
Spyda
Point Blank Customs
...but the stone that the builder refused...shall be the head cornerstone...
musthavemuzk

Postby musthavemuzk » Thu Aug 29, 2002 11:37 am

i too have mixed feelings on this one ronster.

though i can count more times than not i have seen a SBchevy in a ford. it just does not seem right to me.

with me not liking fords to begin with i am of no help on which to choose there either.

i am with spyda.....pick something different.....something that has not been overdone.
yes if it has been done before you can look to others for help, but if it is original or less played it will stand out more. it will be your creation. not a rehash.

then again it all depends on what the end goal is.
something to roll around in.
or
something to drive hard.
or
whatever

Monty
sandt38

Postby sandt38 » Fri Aug 30, 2002 5:28 pm

Hmmm. Interesting points on the swap guys. I too have mixed feelings. I am not a Ford man, in fact I like most forign cars over Fords but I have to say... A 32 Ford is a sweet ride. So is a Cobra. While the Cobra has a Ford driveline, it is not a Ford.

So what?

Well my point is, I love a 32 Ford. What a sweet ride. Not a highboy, I like a full bodied version. I would NEVER dream of putting a Ford engine in one. No not even a 460. Why? I just DON'T like fords.

Why is a mixed breed OK then?

I fix cars for a living, and I know how difficult they are to work on evem in stock trim. When I see a well done job like the Turbo Buick in the Cobra, I think to myself... "awesome". I mean really, think of all the time and effort and ingenuity that goes into a job like that.The craftsmanship and patience alone is worth a thumbs up. I put a Buick GN motor in an El Camino (actually 3 of them). It was basicly a drop in job. However, rerunning all the computer and the intercooler assembly and pipes was serious work. The finished product was a very rare one indeed. Something that made people say "wow".

If you like the looks of a coupe, and the perfomance capabilities of a Chevy engine, I say give it a go. When it is done, you will have more pride in the job as there are fewer of them running around set up like yours. We reap what we sow. Sow more;)
Sound_Miata
Location: From the secret hideout of the VAST right wing conspiracy

Postby Sound_Miata » Fri Aug 30, 2002 5:44 pm

Originally posted by sandt38
I put a Buick GN motor in an El Camino (actually 3 of them). It was basicly a drop in job.

you put the GN motors in one El Camino, I knew they had flat beds out back, but didn't know they had that much room! :eek: :D

-Greer
*Winner of the Beastly 1000th AND 2000th Post*
slappin momma llama on the backside-Joshie-Poo :-D

Vendors: We will allow you to break the laws of physics and the second law of thermodynamics so long as you provide us with a working model.
sandt38

Postby sandt38 » Fri Aug 30, 2002 5:53 pm

Originally posted by Sound_Miata
you put the GN motors in one El Camino, I knew they had flat beds out back, but didn't know they had that much room! :eek: :D

-Greer

:rolleyes:

If only I was better at expressing myself;)
nismo

Postby nismo » Fri Aug 30, 2002 8:30 pm

Originally posted by sandt38
I put a Buick GN motor in an El Camino (actually 3 of them). It was basicly a drop in job. However, rerunning all the computer and the intercooler assembly and pipes was serious work. The finished product was a very rare one indeed. Something that made people say "wow".

that is a damn cool swap. id love to try it with my grandpa's 86 el camino :D

eric

Return to “Automotive Performance”