Cobra or deuce coupe?

Come here to discuss the performance side of our vehicles.
sandt38

Postby sandt38 » Fri Aug 30, 2002 8:59 pm

Originally posted by nismo
that is a damn cool swap. id love to try it with my grandpa's 86 el camino :D

eric

That is the PERFECT car to drop it in. No matter what engine it has in it (all Small blocks and 6 cylinders in 86) the 231 will fall into place. Strap a 200-4R (in turbo trim, they were regeared to accomidate the turbo, and the regulator is aplication specific) to the motor and BAM. Easy peasy, Japa Neasey.
nismo

Postby nismo » Fri Aug 30, 2002 9:26 pm

automatic? ewww. im wanting a t-5 or t-45 for it if i ever get ahold of that cruck (car + truck :D). you know of any way to put a stick in there, and make it look right? if so, i have a t-45 tranny i can get ahold of.

eric
sandt38

Postby sandt38 » Fri Aug 30, 2002 9:38 pm

automatic? ewww. im wanting a t-5 or t-45 for it if i ever get ahold of that cruck (car + truck :D). you know of any way to put a stick in there, and make it look right? if so, i have a t-45 tranny i can get ahold of.

eric

Hmmm, it's doable, but I suggest an auto. The STOCK nats ran at 15 psi. It takes a really good professional suicide shifter to maintain that much boost in all that plumbing (have you looked at the size of all the plumbing and intercooler under my hood?). The net result of a really good stick driver would be severe loss of boost between gears, causing massive lag between gears/ poorer 1/4 times or a good stick driver having to respool between each gear. Just a nightmare. Unfortunately, the 200 is the tranny that comes geared with the Nats (that is one weak tranny too), but I do know a place that builds 400s with a variable pitch connverter (1400/4800 stall speeds) that will regear it for GNs for just a tad over $1100. When this current tranny goes (this is the longest a trans has lasted me, typically I smoke one every 6 months to a year), I am hooking up with one of these bad boys.
rthompson

Postby rthompson » Fri Aug 30, 2002 10:15 pm

Thanks for all the opinions, it is still a few years away, but i really want to do one or the other...... i just wanted to emphasize that the Cobra is not a Ford, so the motor is not just restricted to a Ford Motor for brand conformity..... when the time gets nearer i will certainly need some more of the technical help.
Duffman says a lot of things... oh yeah!!

"Don't think about greasy pork......" Jakezor
sandt38

Postby sandt38 » Fri Aug 30, 2002 10:55 pm

Originally posted by rthompson
i just wanted to emphasize that the Cobra is not a Ford, so the motor is not just restricted to a Ford Motor for brand conformity.....

Correct. As I stated

While the Cobra has a Ford driveline, it is not a Ford.

It is a Shelby design. On the side emblems it does say "Powered by Ford" I believe though. Think of it, A Cobra with a "Grand National, inercooled" emblem. Sweet. I'll see if I can find some pics of that Cobra...
nismo

Postby nismo » Sat Aug 31, 2002 12:47 am

Originally posted by sandt38
Hmmm, it's doable, but I suggest an auto. The STOCK nats ran at 15 psi. It takes a really good professional suicide shifter to maintain that much boost in all that plumbing (have you looked at the size of all the plumbing and intercooler under my hood?). The net result of a really good stick driver would be severe loss of boost between gears, causing massive lag between gears/ poorer 1/4 times or a good stick driver having to respool between each gear. Just a nightmare. Unfortunately, the 200 is the tranny that comes geared with the Nats (that is one weak tranny too), but I do know a place that builds 400s with a variable pitch connverter (1400/4800 stall speeds) that will regear it for GNs for just a tad over $1100. When this current tranny goes (this is the longest a trans has lasted me, typically I smoke one every 6 months to a year), I am hooking up with one of these bad boys.

if i were to hook up the el camino with the 3800, id probably find SOME way to put a stick in it. yeah, call me hard headed. ive sworn off ever owning a car with an automatic...just cuz id rather be in control of whats going on with the gears. as for the turbo having to be spooled, i guess that would be something id have to modify, or get used to, but i would rarely (if ever) race one.

eric
nismo

Postby nismo » Sat Aug 31, 2002 12:48 am

btw, i forgot to ask, but your car isnt a gnx, is it? those are REEELY badazz. :D

eric
Sound_Miata
Location: From the secret hideout of the VAST right wing conspiracy

Postby Sound_Miata » Sat Aug 31, 2002 1:14 am

umm with a manual and a fast blow off valve the turbo can stay spooled pretty much indefinately, and even more so if you just bangin gears (shifting without taking foot off gas which is not nice to transmissions)

-Greer
*Winner of the Beastly 1000th AND 2000th Post*
slappin momma llama on the backside-Joshie-Poo :-D

Vendors: We will allow you to break the laws of physics and the second law of thermodynamics so long as you provide us with a working model.
sandt38

Postby sandt38 » Sat Aug 31, 2002 8:36 am

btw, i forgot to ask, but your car isnt a gnx, is it? those are REEELY badazz. :D

eric

No it isn't. The GNX (only 547 of them made) had some obvious differances on the exterior as well as engine mods (which weren't really "engine" mods, rather bolt ons). Right above the Grand National logo on the fender they sported the infamous "Buick Louvers" to aid in keeping the relay center cooled, as well as to help lower underhood temperatures. They also bore a set of fender flares over differant wheels. I personally didn't like the exterior "upgrades" of the GNX. I felt they were gaudy. But...

The GNX used a ceramic impeller turbo. this had 2 distinct advantages. 1 was heat disapation (the cooler the charge the more dense it is) and the other was spooling speed (the ceramic was lighter). The visual underhood differance was the vented turbo cover expressing "GNX". Also, they used a larger intercooler to aid in air charge temperature reduction.

Then there was the McLaren Suspension. It consisted of a stiffening frame the bolted to the trans and rear end, reducing roll and aiding in traction/ overall handeling.

And of course, the KILLER GNX dash. I want one, but the unit is so expensive.

sandt38

Postby sandt38 » Sat Aug 31, 2002 8:59 am

Here's mine for a comparison

Return to “Automotive Performance”