The timing advance kits work?

Come here to discuss the performance side of our vehicles.
etp72

The timing advance kits work?

Postby etp72 » Mon Sep 02, 2002 7:56 pm

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1854667259

These things work? understood u wont get a 20 hp increase but for even like 10 its worth it extreemely cheap?

Although you have to use premium gas! that right there is like the added HP :D
MorbidDK

Postby MorbidDK » Mon Sep 02, 2002 8:09 pm

Depending on the car they may help a little. I don't see gaining THAT much HP out of it though. More of a quicker jump than anything.

Not sure about the higher gas. I use mid-grade in my Avenger because I did that on one take and it upped my gas mileage about 30miles+ per tank.
Sound_Miata
Location: From the secret hideout of the VAST right wing conspiracy

Postby Sound_Miata » Mon Sep 02, 2002 8:33 pm

first off, it is most likely a resistor of some sort, something cheesy that does not work as advertised. With your spirit you might be able to manually raise the timing by simply borrowing a timing gun and a few wrenches. That being said, Advancing timing too far can be hazardous to the cars health if you don't run better fuel (such as the premium). When you advance the spark (spark sooner in the compression stroke of the piston) you have to have it burn longer, which is what higher octane fuels do.

Personally I would research the good old DIY method before buying this kit....if it were real it would show photos, etc. Thats my thought. Also, you won't necessarily gain HP, just more power on the bottom end (playing around a bit with the location of the torque curve)

-Greer
*Winner of the Beastly 1000th AND 2000th Post*
slappin momma llama on the backside-Joshie-Poo :-D

Vendors: We will allow you to break the laws of physics and the second law of thermodynamics so long as you provide us with a working model.
MorbidDK

Postby MorbidDK » Mon Sep 02, 2002 9:54 pm

I totally agree with Greer's statement here. Much better stated than my own. :)
etp72

Postby etp72 » Tue Sep 03, 2002 12:22 pm

it might not be worth it to me for the extra money in gas :D unless i get better gas mileage then it might be allright.... hm.... And yes it is a just a resistor they state that in their more information link!

THanks a lot for the help though ;) greatly appreciated!
StaticX313

Postby StaticX313 » Mon Sep 09, 2002 8:42 pm

just do it yourself... I can (if u pm me) show u how to do it. Its very simple. Also if u have a timing light that'll help, but if u dont thats ok. It does help , i noticed a difference in low end. So just lmk if u wanna try it out.

RoB~
2004 Subaru WRX STI Blue\Silver

MODS: Perrin Inlet Hose, Perrin SRI, Perrin Catch Can, Perrin Crank Pulley, Perrin Radiator Shroud, Whiteline Diff Bushings, StaticX Grounding Kit, STI Strut Bars (Front and Rear), Kuhmo 245/40ZR17s, Blitz Nur Spec R cat back, GodSpeed INC Downpipe (soon), UTEC (on preorder list).
etp72

Postby etp72 » Mon Sep 09, 2002 9:25 pm

static u got mail ;)

Return to “Automotive Performance”