Bigger Alternator 98 GT?

Come here to discuss the performance side of our vehicles.
LazyDog4

Bigger Alternator 98 GT?

Postby LazyDog4 » Sun Sep 15, 2002 11:58 pm

about to have my sub and sub amp installed, and got to thinking about my 98 mustang GT's electrical system. i know you are supposed to take care of the 'big 3': ground, battery, and alternator. well, my gournd wire will be 0/1 gauge. i plan to upgrade to an optima redtop battery in the next month or so. but my question is about the alternator. my amps will be pushing a total of about 2000w. i have a capacitor (1.2 i believe), but that really doesnt solve the problem. does anyone know what size alternator comes on a 98 G, and if it will be strong enough to keep up the stereo system? also, is there a good (and hopefully cheap) place online or in central Texas that supplies new, heavy duty, alternators?

thanks
chris
Sound_Miata
Location: From the secret hideout of the VAST right wing conspiracy

Postby Sound_Miata » Mon Sep 16, 2002 12:30 am

that would be a good question for sirsloop, he might be able to help you, but I remember some GT's having a 130 amp alternator, I think you should be fine, but try looking it up on http://www.corral.net

-Greer
*Winner of the Beastly 1000th AND 2000th Post*
slappin momma llama on the backside-Joshie-Poo :-D

Vendors: We will allow you to break the laws of physics and the second law of thermodynamics so long as you provide us with a working model.
JokerWylde

Postby JokerWylde » Mon Sep 16, 2002 1:31 am

130 is what I'm thinking too. Pretty sure that's what's in my 95 GT; my old thunderbird had a 130amp alt. and it had the 4.6L engine like you do. I also seem to remember the V6 stangs coming with a 130 amp alt., so I'm pretty sure you'd have the same.
"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordion"--Stormin' Norman
LazyDog4

Postby LazyDog4 » Mon Sep 16, 2002 9:46 am

thanks for the replies guys. so, if i have a 130 amp alternator, would i be safe with just getting a red top optima?

thanks
chris
JokerWylde

Postby JokerWylde » Mon Sep 16, 2002 4:06 pm

I would say to just try that, and see what happens. If you find you need a better alternator, then you could upgrade, but why spend the money if it's not necessary? I'm still using the stock ( I assume) battery, with no caps, and when I've got the stereo going, and the A/C at full blast (AZ heat....still regularly over 100), and I'm not having too much trouble with the charge. Also havent' gotten around to upgrading the battery ground yet, either.
"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordion"--Stormin' Norman
Infinity

Postby Infinity » Sat Sep 21, 2002 2:48 am

I just ordered a 200amp alternator from http://www.mralternator.com He is powdercoating it Zinc Yellow and all wiring for ~400
No car, therefore, no system to list.

DAMN YOU FORD!!!!
StaticX313

Postby StaticX313 » Mon Sep 23, 2002 10:15 pm

ya mralternator is really good from what i've heard. HE said he could get me a 140 amp alt for my supra for 220$... pretty dang good considering that the 170 amps go for about 700$!!!!

RoB~

Also infinity ... how did u get such a high amp output alt? Did he custom build one or did they just have one available for your car?
2004 Subaru WRX STI Blue\Silver

MODS: Perrin Inlet Hose, Perrin SRI, Perrin Catch Can, Perrin Crank Pulley, Perrin Radiator Shroud, Whiteline Diff Bushings, StaticX Grounding Kit, STI Strut Bars (Front and Rear), Kuhmo 245/40ZR17s, Blitz Nur Spec R cat back, GodSpeed INC Downpipe (soon), UTEC (on preorder list).
Infinity

Postby Infinity » Tue Sep 24, 2002 5:58 am

He pretty much specializes in Mustangs. 200 was as big as he would go, though.
No car, therefore, no system to list.

DAMN YOU FORD!!!!
sirsloop

Postby sirsloop » Tue Sep 24, 2002 9:00 am

I think the 98s already come with a 3G alternator, probabably 130A. If you wanted to upgrade you should go for a 200A ford 3G...

I picked mine up from http://www.reman.com/alterstart/

has worked great so far.

btw...this year at college has been a little crazy. Between 18 credit hours in my senior year, homework, my fraternity, and my GF Ive got like 0 screw around time... :(

I guess I cant complain though, once my HW is done...i can get done :cwm18:

definitly check out the corral, ive never worked on a 98GT but im pretty sure they come with a 3G stock.

Return to “Automotive Performance”