The most important performance addon...

Come here to discuss the performance side of our vehicles.
Sound_Miata
Location: From the secret hideout of the VAST right wing conspiracy

Postby Sound_Miata » Tue Sep 24, 2002 12:49 pm

ahhh, Chris, ever the engineer...if ya can't make it nice, jury rig

but...well written!

-Greer
*Winner of the Beastly 1000th AND 2000th Post*
slappin momma llama on the backside-Joshie-Poo :-D

Vendors: We will allow you to break the laws of physics and the second law of thermodynamics so long as you provide us with a working model.
GEllis

Postby GEllis » Tue Sep 24, 2002 5:31 pm

Originally posted by Neon01
Couldn't agree more. It's been proven that both slotted and crossdrilled rotors reduce brake fade by increasing the radiative surface area of the rotor. I have heard that x-drilled can crack, but as Greer said, most of the new ones aren't going to. I understand you will probably have a big problem adding a big brake kit to your car with 16" wheels, but check out last months C&D for a good comparison of full brake kits. The beauty part is that the cheapest kit (the stoptechs) were easily on par with the best Brembo kit (the F50) in terms of fade resistance. Remember, stopping distance is mainly a function of the vehicle's tires, not the brakes. One thing I feel important to note: the best thing you can do to decrease brake fade and overall performance is to vent them. The amount of heat flux through convective cooling (with vents) is much greater than mere radiative cooling. I'm not familiar with your car and whether it has vents or not, but perhaps you could jury-rig a venting system up. Be creative.

I read that article, and many other articles about brakes on imports. I realize the potential for the Turbo brakes, and that certain pads can make your current brake system much stronger..
just about every magazine i read has an article about brakes, (this mos. Sport Compact Car, 5 lug conversion to a 240SX, and brembo GT rotors for a 300zx, and 300zx rotors in the rear)

but i think that the AEM ones are pretty :D
R34 :cwm12:
StaticX313

Postby StaticX313 » Tue Sep 24, 2002 9:58 pm

Originally posted by Neon01
Remember, stopping distance is mainly a function of the vehicle's tires, not the brakes.

I dont care about the stopping distance ( i do , but thats not the issue) my problem is , is that my brakes SCREECH like crazy... that and they fad e a LOT. They are the semi-metallic cheap kind. They suck. Im goin to just try oem pads again (since they dont screech at all and actually are good). Im goin to just upgrade rotors cause mine look like they're rusting over and dont look nice at all. So ... those are my main reasons for upgrading.

RoB~
2004 Subaru WRX STI Blue\Silver

MODS: Perrin Inlet Hose, Perrin SRI, Perrin Catch Can, Perrin Crank Pulley, Perrin Radiator Shroud, Whiteline Diff Bushings, StaticX Grounding Kit, STI Strut Bars (Front and Rear), Kuhmo 245/40ZR17s, Blitz Nur Spec R cat back, GodSpeed INC Downpipe (soon), UTEC (on preorder list).
Sound_Miata
Location: From the secret hideout of the VAST right wing conspiracy

Postby Sound_Miata » Tue Sep 24, 2002 10:50 pm

question for you static...how are you defining fade? I'm curious what situations your coming up with that cause fade.

-Greer
*Winner of the Beastly 1000th AND 2000th Post*

slappin momma llama on the backside-Joshie-Poo :-D

Vendors: We will allow you to break the laws of physics and the second law of thermodynamics so long as you provide us with a working model.
merlin12volt

Postby merlin12volt » Fri Sep 27, 2002 3:06 pm

Static, if the brakes are making noise, it is most likely from dust or vibration. Did you put new shims on the pads when they were last changed? If not, then the brake shoe is vibrating against the caliper and the rotor. Here is the link to a good company that alot of guys that I chat with use. If they sell a kit for my cat, then they should have one for your car and they are very well priced. Here is the link http://wwww.kvrperformance.com . Good Luck and let me know if they have a kit for you.
:D
2004 Dodge Intrepid
Sony Mobile ES CDX-C780
US Amps USA 400
2) US Amps USA 150's
Soon to feature Image Dynamics
IASCA 601+
TimDimman

Postby TimDimman » Fri Sep 27, 2002 3:23 pm

Static,

For one forum to look in, try http://www.clublexus.com.

I believe a lot of the components in the Supra are the same in the GS300.

There are a lot of people there with brake upgrades, and more than likely if you want anything more than a 4 piston caliper, you will have to get wheels with more clearance.

Check http://www.lexus-parts.com and l-tuned.com for OEM Toyota/Lexus TRD rotors and pads. The TRD crossdrilled rotors should be a direct OEM replacement to your standard brakes. They are decently cheap too...

Sorry, no multi-piston'ed calipers though.

Tim
It is better to be boldly decisive and be wrong than to agonize at length and be right.
pooshda

Postby pooshda » Sun Sep 29, 2002 7:36 pm

Static... whats up man, nice to see another MKIV Supra owner... I own a 93.5 twin turbo and to be honest with you, I think you should just opt for 17" or larger wheels so you can swap in some TT brakes, you will NOT need anything more than factory TT brakes... these brakes are amazing.

Unless you tripple your horsepower, a big brake kit isnt really necessary, but im used to my brakes and the TT is known for its amazing brakes... one of the things all the magazines drooled over, and I believe the Supra has the best brakes out of nearly any car they have ever tested (motortrend, R&T, etc)... so I think they will do nicely, and wont set you back $4k..

If you are not on Supraforums (I think I have actually seen a nickname the same or similar to yours on SF) you need to sign up... im a moderator there and there is NO OTHER FORUM better than Supraforums, when it comes to Supras... period... http://www.supraforums.com im sure if you post in the wanted section you may be able to find yourself a nice set of used TT brakes! :D

someone was selling a Sound Performance NA-T Kit with an SP63 turbo for the N/A Supra as well, If your interested in making your car fast might wanna jump on that (but going from NA to Turbo is extremely expensive of course) :(
StaticX313

Postby StaticX313 » Sun Sep 29, 2002 9:15 pm

pooshda!! whats up man? Ya i post all the time on supraforums. I use the same name here as i do there. I usually post all my car stuff there, but it seems like everyone avoids all my questions. I asked about aftermarket MAF sensors and why my car keeps dying after it idles, but like... no one answers. 100 views but 0 posts. My car is a NA and an automatic (BLEH) so Im just trying to opt for a 93.5-98 TT 6spd. So I dont know what will happen but i'll find out in a month. thanks man for ur help! If u need any car audio help feel free to ask!

rob~

also another thing thats been buggin me... I found broken glass in my rear panel when i took it out to add dynamatt. The seller totally neglected to mention that the car was broken into/had an accident or what :rolleyes: if you have anyone that can run a carfax report so I dont have to sign up or whatever then please lmk. If you dont i'll just sign up, but this is really bugging me.

MODS: Perrin Inlet Hose, Perrin SRI, Perrin Catch Can, Perrin Crank Pulley, Perrin Radiator Shroud, Whiteline Diff Bushings, StaticX Grounding Kit, STI Strut Bars (Front and Rear), Kuhmo 245/40ZR17s, Blitz Nur Spec R cat back, GodSpeed INC Downpipe (soon), UTEC (on preorder list).
pooshda

Postby pooshda » Sun Sep 29, 2002 10:17 pm

a 6sp TT would definately be nice... I dont really feel "bleh" about the Auto's though... My TT is auto but im going SP transmission... so that will make my auto one hell of a beast... The fun factor is less like they say, but the "get to the finish first" factor sure does kick *** in my favor ;)

I wish I could run a carfax for ya... too bad that free carfax link doesnt work anymore I remember back in the day I used that a lot and then it stopped working... If I had an account id run one for you though... sorry!
Silver Toyota Supra Twin Turbo
Head Unit: Pioneer 7300DVD
Front Stage: Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.5
Front Amp: Precision Power PCX-2125
Rear Stage: Infinity Kappa 6.5 coax
Sub: Not purchased yet
Wiring: Monster, Stinger
StaticX313

Postby StaticX313 » Sun Sep 29, 2002 10:43 pm

its np man.. im not saying BLEH on all autos... im saying bleh on an auto cause my car has no power right now... something is NOT right at all... GTech pro is saying i have like 135hp... with (TRD gen 2 exhaust, k&n intake, and advancing the timing), so nothing is making sense. That and my rear control arm is messed up, my brakes sound like crap, and now my car has been either broken into or in a wreck... MAn ................ whew ok im good now. Good luck with you r SP project and lmk how it goes.

Rob~

Return to “Automotive Performance”