Tire Selection

Come here to discuss the performance side of our vehicles.
ElementalG20

Tire Selection

Postby ElementalG20 » Fri Oct 04, 2002 12:25 am

Well, my front tires are shot and winter is coming. Id sure love to get nice wheels and tires, but budget simply will NOT allow it at this time, plus my car isnt paid for. Ive been looking around a bit, and I have been leaning hard towards the Dunlop SP Sport A2. I need a tire I can drive on year round, sunshine, rain, and snow. Ok, no tire is going to do GREAT in the winter and well in the twisties, but Id like something that will hold up ok and do well year round. Im looking at spending around $350 for a set of 4 mounted and balanced. The Dunlops I can get for like $320 mounted and balanced at a place I have great trust and respect for. But Id like to see what you guys have in mind.

List of wants
1. Practical, all weather traction
2. Quite ride
3. Great handling

Its a daily driver so it has to go in that order, any input GREATLY appreciated.
Rebuilding has begun....collecting parts for the 00' Sentra SE :)

HT is undergoing R&D(aka me being indecisive and poor/cheap:) )

30" Samusung HDTV
Harmon Karond AVR-335
Sound_Miata
Location: From the secret hideout of the VAST right wing conspiracy

Postby Sound_Miata » Fri Oct 04, 2002 12:43 am

other option besides the SP A2's are the Dunlop Sport SP5000's. That is what I am running and have loved them, great handling, noise I can't comment on with my car, but not bad really and traction in any weather is generally good

-Greer
*Winner of the Beastly 1000th AND 2000th Post*
slappin momma llama on the backside-Joshie-Poo :-D

Vendors: We will allow you to break the laws of physics and the second law of thermodynamics so long as you provide us with a working model.
Neon01

Postby Neon01 » Fri Oct 04, 2002 7:13 am

Well as you said, the more traction you want in summer, the worse the tires are going to get for winter. But a good happy medium can sometimes be found. I have heard good things about the Bridgestone RE950 (i think that's the model). Supposed to be high performance in the summer, and respectable in the winter too. I think they may be a bit outside your budget, but it might be worth checking out. I think Tirerack has em for about $90 a tire, so say about $400 for mounted and balanced if you look around. Good luck

Return to “Automotive Performance”