improving gas mileage

Come here to discuss the performance side of our vehicles.
Need4Knowledge

improving gas mileage

Postby Need4Knowledge » Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:44 pm

i know that typically when you add horsepower you use up more fuel... but i've herad that some parts, such as intakes, can improve gas mileage. i was wondering what other upgrades could help gas mileage

THANKS
alpha

Postby alpha » Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:00 pm

not speeding :)
air intake and exhaust can *sometimes* improve gas mileage. Honestly though, it's mostly how you drive that. I can't think of any mods that yield significant improvements.
i-need-bass

Postby i-need-bass » Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:10 pm

I guess keeping your windows closed and driving like 50 mph or 10 mph less than you usually do will save you gas.
RE Audio Thump Wagon of Rochester

2 12" RE Audio SX/HC hybrids
Amp...Coming soon...maybe lanzar 2000d or something else
Pioneer DEH-2700-soon to change
Polk Audio DB525 5 1/4" Coaxials

4 cu ft tuned to 32 Hz
Big Mack

Postby Big Mack » Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:11 pm

Need4Knowledge wrote:i know that typically when you add horsepower you use up more fuel... but i've herad that some parts, such as intakes, can improve gas mileage. i was wondering what other upgrades could help gas mileage

THANKS

Lighter shoes? Not adding 20" wheels that add 100 lbs to the weight of the car? Making sure you keep your air/oil/fuel filters clean, the tires inflated, and check your plugs/wires. Good spark = good detonation, complete burning, and overall better mileage. A simple tune up on many vehicles that have been a bit neglected will yield better mileage for those people.

Big Mack
Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

"I've got mail!! Yay!!" --Special Ed

Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

To my fallen brethren, you are NOT forgotten. To the usurpers of freedom, you are NOT forgiven!!
wagz

Postby wagz » Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:29 pm

there is no way to improve gas milage without losing something else, i just read an article on this in some mag that tested out a bunch of differnt devices that supposedly improved gas milage ranging from $300 to $15.

all devices were tested on pickup trucks, and the best any of them managed was to keep it exactly the same. Some decreased horsepower about 20% and improved gasmilage buy a about 10% but if it didnt decrease hp then it didnt improve gas milage

be careful tho with thoes products one of em that hooked up to the spark plugs actually started on fire under the hood of the truck lol

99% of fuel is burned in an engine so realistically there is no way to get better gas milage out of tricks and fuel savers without losing hp

keep the vehicle well maintenance and it will stay with the stock gas milage
home sub
Dayton Audio Titanic MkIII
250watt parts express amp
3cuft box @ 26hz
Penguin4x4

Postby Penguin4x4 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:52 pm

Came across this: http://pesn.com/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/

may or may not work, haven't done chemistry in a while so dunno if it'll work or not...interesting read if nothing else
RADEoN

Postby RADEoN » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:21 pm

i'll give it a shot
wagz

Postby wagz » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:37 am

very bad idea, 99% of fuel is burned when exiting into the exhaust adding this may or may not burn that last 1%. but more then likley any gain you may or may not see will not be that 1% but instead you running your fuel too lean with the addition if acitone, this could destroy your engine

keep in mind you engine was designed to burn gasoline, and substituting that or changing it is never a good idea
home sub
Dayton Audio Titanic MkIII
250watt parts express amp
3cuft box @ 26hz
RADEoN

Postby RADEoN » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:10 pm

but look at the alcohol/methanol they're putting in fuel. I think the acetone would work.
Justin W
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Angeles de Porciúncula, California

Postby Justin W » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:11 pm

Well... not sure if this is helpful or not...

But last week - replaced the O² sensor on my 00 Jetta VR6... and so far it seems to equate to roughly a 15% gain in gas mileage.

Keep in mind that it needed to be replaced, but it kinda goes along with what Mack was saying about general maintenance.
Justin W

Listen with your ears... not someone else's.

Return to “Automotive Performance”