HOLY CRAP *MT C6 Z06 numbers*

Come here to discuss the performance side of our vehicles.
CBFryman

Postby CBFryman » Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:46 pm

wagz wrote:man that makes me sick, done even try and say that, its a 7 leter pushrod v8 i mean id hope with a little bit of work you could get 500hp out of 7 leters

considering if its such a supercar the craftsmanship should be there as well
enzo 6l 650hp
cerrera gt 5.7l 612hp
oh wait wasnt the old vett 5.7l? but they only made 405hp out of the zo6???
i mean honestly honda s2000 2.1l 240hp
the inefficiency of this car just baffels me

Let me learn you a little something.

Playing the displacement vs power game is for rice boys...
i could step up and say that Mazda's 13B Sequencial Turbo set up ran 200hp/litre on early 90's technology... but its a rotary engine.
The S2000 makes 240hp at what RPM?
oh thats right 7000 some odd...
it uses wide bore short stroke technique, no low end power to speak of...which isnt something to brag about with a naturally asperated engine.
Granted push rods arent todays latest and greatest technology but 500hp out of 7l and its 500 reliable horsepower that is useable in everyday driving. if you ran the s2000 between 5,000 and 9000 RPM all the time the engine life would be shortened greatly. not to say it is a bad motor.
when talking about performance it isnt hp/litre its hp/lb if the honda motor weighs 300lbs and the Z06's motor weighs 450lbs the zo6's motor is making a much larger dent into the hp per lb ratio than the s2000.
im not saying the s2000 is a bad car but this arguement is how civics with their 1.6l engines make excuses when they get walked on by ls1's.... "man my engine is making over 1 hp/litre, that damn ls1 is only making 3/5's that dawg...."
Jmac

Postby Jmac » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:09 pm

k-mart wrote:7:43

The only mass production car that's been on the ring that's faster is the Carrera GT. I'd imagine the Enzo would be too. Probably faster than the GT.
josh99ta wrote:If you pulled your head out of your *** and researched before you started posting you'd see that the C6 Z06 is the second fastest production car to run the 'ring at 7:43 lap time.
Uh, the Carrera GT ran a 7:28 around the 'Ring ... and the current fastest street-legal car around the 'Ring is the Donkervoort D8 270RS, which ran a 7:18 ... The Gemballa GTR 600 Evo and the Mercedes-Benz/McLaren SLR are also faster than the new Z06 ...

To sum up: It's not the fastest production car in the world or even the 2nd fastest, but 7:43 is still a very good time and is certainly up there with a lot of supercars.
Jmac

Postby Jmac » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:25 pm

Oh, I forgot that the Koenigsegg CCR is also faster @ 7:39 ...
nametaken

Postby nametaken » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:37 pm

Jmac wrote:Uh, the Carrera GT ran a 7:28 around the 'Ring ... and the current fastest street-legal car around the 'Ring is the Donkervoort D8 270RS, which ran a 7:18 ... The Gemballa GTR 600 Evo and the Mercedes-Benz/McLaren SLR are also faster than the new Z06 ...

To sum up: It's not the fastest production car in the world or even the 2nd fastest, but 7:43 is still a very good time and is certainly up there with a lot of supercars.

According to MT those are "official" timed laps , im not saying the SLR or Koenigsegg arent faster.

The fact that a $60k it can keep up with the big dogs that cost 1/2 mill really impresses me.
Jmac

Postby Jmac » Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:10 pm

I'm not saying it's slow by any means. It's just a few people were making it out like it was the fastest or 2nd fastest around Nurburgring, which it isn't ...

Its time is up there with a lot of supercars that cost double or more.

Of course, 15 seconds is a huge distance when you average over 100 mph (100 mph for 15 seconds = 2200 feet or 0.417 miles or 671 meters), so it's not like the Z06 is even close to the Carrera GT.
black300zx

Postby black300zx » Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:17 pm

Jmac wrote: and the current fastest street-legal car around the 'Ring is the Donkervoort D8 270RS, which ran a 7:18 ... The Gemballa GTR 600 Evo and the Mercedes-Benz/McLaren SLR are also faster than the new Z06 ....

with the exception of the SLR, are those production vehicles?(thats not a smart-*** question, i really dont know) production and street legal can be two ENTIRELY different things
Eclipse 8443

JL 300/4
ID CD1 pro's on cd1e bodies
peerless exclusive 8" midbasses

(3) e8a.44 - ampless for now :(

check out my ride
Jmac

Postby Jmac » Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:01 pm

black300zx wrote:with the exception of the SLR, are those production vehicles?(thats not a smart-*** question, i really dont know) production and street legal can be two ENTIRELY different things
That particular Donkervoort is not a production model (yet). The rest are considered to be production cars, though most of those are quite limited in production numbers.
black300zx

Postby black300zx » Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:02 pm

^^thanks...nice to know
Eclipse 8443

JL 300/4

ID CD1 pro's on cd1e bodies

peerless exclusive 8" midbasses

(3) e8a.44 - ampless for now :(

check out my ride
nourdmrolnmt1

Postby nourdmrolnmt1 » Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:03 pm

Jmac wrote:That particular Donkervoort is not a production model (yet). The rest are considered to be production cars, though most of those are quite limited in production numbers.

i believe the true quote is "mass production" vehicles. hence the GT3 and Z06 being the only 2 in there.
god knows what im gunna do
Ryno

Postby Ryno » Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:38 am

"Discussions" like this point out the fact that a lot of the time we forget the real point of the matter.

Take efficiency, for instance. Yes, the Honda S2000 get 120HP/L but what does that really buy you? Does it get you insane amounts of total power? Nope, just 240HP. Does it get you great gas mileage to go along with that small engine size? Nope, worse gas mileage than a Corvette. What does it buy you then? Compact size, right? But if that's the case then wouldn't it make more sense to measure the EXTERNAL size of the engine ... after all, that's what costs you room in the engine bay. Or maybe we measure the power of an engine versus the weight of an engine. After all, weight slows you down and hurts your handling. But this "volumetric efficiency" term doesn't seem to directly correlate to any real value.

Now how about modern/advanced technology ... in this case OH Cams vs pushrods. What does that really do for you? Does it guarantee more power? Nope. Does it guarantee better gas mileage? Nope. Does it guarantee more durability? Nope. Is it less expensive? Nope. Maybe you can achieve combination of performance with OHC that you can't with a pushrod design. But Chevy has been very effective at proving that pushrod engines can compete with OHV designs. And just how modern are these technologies anyway? As I understand it, pushrod (OHV) first appeared in 1902 - certainly its old school. OHC was invented in 1912 (Peugeot used it in their 1913 Indy car) - quite the spring chicken.:cwm17:

Now how about uniqueness? I respect the desire to be special/different/unique. Its important. But I reject the idea that only money can seperate you as a unique individual. I'd say the reverse is true. Given a horde of money, anybody can spend it wildly (on supercars etc.) ... or as is more often the case ... even without money, anybody can over-spend wildly and run up immense debt accounts. What is truly special is a person who can spend wisely, discriminating between values and frivolous novelties - a person who can be unique even without hordes of money and the stuff money buys. One of my somewhat-unique attributes is my stance on the SUV/minivan issue. 90% of the folks I see in SUV's would be much better served by a minivan. But they'd rather forgo the cost savings and functionality for a bit of perceived "macho". I'm looking forward to owning a soccer-Mom-mobile.

In other words, a higher price can never really make a car special. Likewise, a lower price does not prevent a car from being special.

Return to “Automotive Performance”